A second pre as "buffer"

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited October 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Anyone ever try this? I remember the MF buffer stage and was just wondering what you guys think about using 2 tubed pre amps where the first one acts as a buffer. So the volume is raised to a certain level on the first pre and the 2nd pre controls the volume. With some tube rolling, one can have more options to tuning the rig to one's liking.

I tried doing this on my H/K receiver and the tube sound went through very nicely. All I did was insert a tubed pre between the CD player and receiver, set the volume on the tube pre to 10 o clock and use the H/K for master volume. I felt like the sound had more dynamics this way.

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Hmmmm....I wonder what the ELP and the HK 3380 would sound like together. I think I'll try that out this weekend for **** and grins.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Stacking volume controls is "rarely" a good thing. My HK knocks the **** out of the "tube" sound of my preamp when hooked in series. Sounds lifeless and dull like the HK normally sounds. Don't get me wrong, I love my HK for processing my movies, but for 2 channel critical listening, I've moved substantially beyond what the HK can give with a just a few components.

I can't believe that I actually typed that paragraph above since it has been less than 2 years ago that I thought the sound of my HK was the bomb musically..............oh how things change.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2005
    Options
    interesting idea. Did you lose any output because of the 2 volume controls?
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited October 2005
    Options
    If anything, you gain volume, since each level is amplified. Just keep in mind that the distortion level of each amp is added to the next and this may not alway be pleasant.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Using two tubed preamps?

Maybe I'm missing something (I understand the concept) but I don't see the advantage to it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited October 2005
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    Using two tubed preamps?

Maybe I'm missing something (I understand the concept) but I don't see the advantage to it.

BDT

Maurice was adding the tube pre to an H/K SS receiver as a buffer to improve the sound. I personaly didn't see much improvement in my testing.

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited October 2005
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    Using two tubed preamps?

BDT
    i was always told that the shorter the signal path the better. i seem to be missing the point as to why two preamps would be beneficial to the sound quality. what am i missing here?...WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2005
    Options
    You will end up with the worst aspects of both units multiplied together. Forget both boxes sitting there for a minute and think only of a single tube pre with several stages. You can think of each stage as a seperate box so your thinking isn't too far off. The real question is whether or not you have adequate gain in one box. If not, it makes sense so long as both are of the same quality. Although, the noise and problems of both are multiplied. Much like when you add an extra stage or two for a phono. This is why people pay thousands for a phono pre.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D