Introduction and question.

Options
phuz
phuz Posts: 2,372
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Aaron, and I purchased my first pair of Polk speakers a couple of weeks ago. (I got a pair of R40's at Fry's for $199 a pair)

I'm very impressed. They are a huge improvement over the Yamaha speakers that I had.

I'll be replacing my JBL rears with some R10's or R20's, and getting a polk sub soon as well. I've already got a Bose center so I'll leave that alone for now.

My question is: Has anyone heard or tested the Polk CD player or preamp tuner/processor??? Will Polk be entering this market seriously? I love the look and features of the CD player, and would love to see Polk come into that area of the market with a nice matching A/V head unit.

Thanks!
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hello and welcome too the forum. Great deal on the 40's! You must be talking about the RMD unit? Polk does not make this unit, it is out sourced and I forgot who makes it for Polk, but someone will let us know! IMO Polk has no interest in this market, but you never know! I will leave your center spreaker alone, cuz someone will address that for you! smiley_dizzy.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Welcome to the Polk family!

The Polk DS System components are very high end. Matt Polk has them in his house, and believe me he's a far more discriminating listener than anyone we know.

Polk does have a big interest in this market, the "HTiB" market, because of one fact: When it comes to all-in-one systems -- systems built to work together, or "home theater in a box" systems -- everything sounds like a toy. Matt wants the DS System to be the go-to product for PERFORMANCE all-in-one systems. So instead of tacking on the speakers as an afterthought the way the electronics manufacturers do, he started the other way around: Start with the speakers (our speakers), and design the electronics to make them sound the best they can possibly sound with no complex setup.

The system, BTW, sounds effing great. For performance, the DS System blows the competition away, way away. If you get a chance to demo one, by all means do.

I'm a fan of this product.

Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • phuz
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I've already noticed some deficiencies in the Bose center, but please someone do tell. I'd like to hear others' opinions about it. I got it assuming that Bose would be great quality, and it's low profile. I'm regretting it now.

The deal on the R40's was good. It was a big easter sale, and I just couldn't pass it up. :)
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Well, being that my name is also Aaron and I too have Bose speakers (AM-5's), I feel that I am uniquely qualified to answer this question. I'll put this fairly simply: they're not very good speakers, especially for the money. Polk kills them. I hope I don't hurt your feelings, but it's the truth.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Why do you keep them?????

An earlier post showed RT15i's for a mear $99 a pair..... Those would be respectable rears....

Get with the program bee-yotch...

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Man, I told you (and Troy) over and over again why I keep them. Space! Once I move out of this house in June, then we can talk. I'm actually thinking I'll just use my RT55's for the surrounds or possibly get RT35's and wall mount them.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Def Tech, Jamo, Energy, Paradigm, B&W, Tannoy, and guess who, even POLK make great 'small' rear speakers (just to name a few). Some even with built in brackets, for ease of installation....

Space is not a valid excuse.....

Try again Bose boy. You might as well still be prologic, using a bandpassed rear channel.... gettin' your 200-7000Hz on

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The Bose VCS-10 isn't all that bad IMO, and since I'm still using a JVC Dolby Pro Logic receiver I'm not going to worry about an upgrade just yet. I need other compnents before I upgrade my center channel.

BTW nobody is hurting my feelings. I'm not big on Bose either, I am just a sucker for a good deal sometimes.
  • phuz
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm gettin a pair of those RT15i's tonight! Thanks for the info.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Options
    First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Aaron, and I purchased my first pair of Polk speakers a couple of weeks ago. (I got a pair of R40's at Fry's for $199 a pair)
    Sounds like an opening line from a newbe in a support group for audio-coholics.

Welcome Aaron...your in for the ride of your life if you hang out in here;)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Just so you know, that was ENTIRELY directed at the other Aaron....but good to hear you aren't the sensitive type....

What part of Tejas are you in? I'm in McKinney, just north of Dallas.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • phuz
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm in Austin.

Good one Ron-P! As far as the ride, I've been on it since I got my first crutchfield catalogue at 12 years old. :)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Memories of being a sporting young lad.....

Many chose the Sears Catalog, turned to the bra section for personal gratification....In my youth, I ruined many a page in the ole' Crutchfield.....

Seriously, no audio-toliet reading rack would be complete without Crutchfield, along with Audio Advisor, maybe a PE catalog and some others...

Austin ain't too far, I think we may have 5 or 6 members (that speak up) that live in Texas... Perhaps a get-together will pan out.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Speaking of Crutchfield - they have the Polk cs245i center channel for $149.95. This is a good center that is being discontinued to make way for a new line but it will match very well with the r40s. Get rid of the Bose (sell it on e-bay or something) and get the 245 at the very least. Then find a Frys for a pair of rt15is @ $99/pr. and you have a great system for $450. Get a good sub and you're set. (Until the upgrade bug hits LOL)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • phuz
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Like I said, I'm getting the RT15i's tonight... and eventually a PSW250 or 350. After that I'm getting a whole new stack of components to replace my JVC stack. The center channel is going to be the last thing I get most likely.

The thing that bugs me about most center channel speakers is how tall/big they are. I think I'll be patient and see what comes out in the somewhat near future.
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Space is not a valid excuse.....[/B][/QUOTE]
    Yes it is, butt munch! This isn't Texas; everything, including my room, isn't big here in PA. Look at the picture (link below). You'd be hard pressed to fit an RT15i there, let alone something manly like a pair of RT35i's.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/images/showcase/23_4_big.jpg
    Def Tech, Jamo, Energy, Paradigm, B&W, Tannoy, and guess who, even POLK make great 'small' rear speakers (just to name a few).
    OK, why would I ever bother with anything but Polk speakers for my surrounds if I was going to purchase new ones???
    Try again Bose boy. You might as well still be prologic, using a bandpassed rear channel.... gettin' your 200-7000Hz on
    Hah! They have a better response than that! Don't forget about the bass module! Oh yes, that definitely hits in the mid 40's! I'm sure the cubes play higher than 7kHz., but I doubt they hit 20kHz.

Aaron
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Options
    At a minimum go with the 350. The 250 is probably not a true "sub" woofer. Don't short change the value of the center. Here is a chart from Polk's q and a site.

CenterPieChart.jpg

Some may contend the center is more important than the others. I think they are all important. The only reason that you might want to consider the center in the near future is because of the sonic match across the front that is available now that may not be in the future. The tweeters are changing. You set it up as you see fit. I'm just providing some info.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Check out RonP's room, its similar in size to yours I believe. I think a bracket with, perhaps new R20's would fit rather nicely, even on their side might be cool.

I don't know why you would choose anything else, but you already did, you have bose, so you tell me man, I can't answer that.

Thanks for playing, NOT.....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'd be lucky if my walls could even hold a speaker that heavy. The plaster is terribly old and was crumpling like crazy when I was drilling the holes for my cubes. It don't matter, though. I won't be making any purchases until I move into a new place. Even then I don't expect to invest any more money in the HT, because the HS is getting a complete upgrade (aka replacement). I think my best bet is to sell the Bose and put my RT55's in the rear.

Aaron
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hey, if anyone in Texas wants to hear a (almost full) LSi surround system, you can come over to my place. I'm in south Austin.

Just picked up my Arcam AVR-200 from Audio Systems today, haven't hooked it up because I am still at work! Argh!!

- Steve

(LSi9 fronts, LSiC, Toshiba 34" 16x9, Toshiba SD-4700 DVD-A, Arcam AVR-200)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    Options
    hi phuz; i would hurry up and sell the bose before there bad
    name gets around.

and wecome to the froum.

hey steve i wish you where closer to las vegas i would come over to listen:cool:
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.