component question

C-Man
C-Man Posts: 307
edited October 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just hooked up one of my 5x7 Alpine Type R components in my car. I hooked them correctly to the crossover and straight to the factory deck. The deck is running I figure about 15x4. The speakers are rated at 60 watts a piece RMS. Now when I turn the bass up the Alpine woofer distorts and pops. Is this just because of the crossover setting? Or Possibly the lack of power? I had some CDT Audio components hooked to my factory deck in my old truck when I sold it and I could turn up the bass all the way and get very little distortion. Also, I know the positive and negative are hooked up correctly, and the speaker is nice and tight in the speaker pod in the door... which is air tight.
"The Big C"
Post edited by C-Man on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    im sure its because youre running it off the deck, grab an amp and throw it in the mix, itll really bring em alive
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited October 2005
    Yeah that is your problem trying to run components on a deck. All you need to do is buy that little v-power Alpine 4 channel amp. It is only 199.00 and you can pick one up at BestBuy. It is rated at 40x4 or 100x2 and has decent sound quality in a small package.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited October 2005
    C-Man wrote:
    Now when I turn the bass up the Alpine woofer distorts and pops...

Don't do that
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    ^ its always the simplest answer... lol
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited October 2005
    Thanks Thom, you're so helpful... lol
    That's what I figured, I still have my Zapco 200 I'm gonna throw on there soon, just gotta find time to put it all together.

Chris
    "The Big C"
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2005
    yep, turning your bass too far up will clip it, no matter what else you have going on... a need for more bass clearly indicates the need for a sub :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs