Digital Vs. Analog CD input

Options
dsc
dsc Posts: 14
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I have a sony carousel CD player and I intend to purchase a second unit.

These two units can be ganged to be controlled as one unit. However, that disables the digital output from the players.

My question is, what is lost by using the analog outputs instead of the digital outs?

Regards,
Dewey Clark, owner
Historic Timkeepers, Inc
Full restoration services ofr precision timekeepers
http://www.historictimekeepers.com
Post edited by dsc on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Maybe someone who knows more about this can chip in, but I think that the answer depends on the relative quality of the digital to analog converters in your CD player & receiver, and the quality of your analog cables. If your receiver has a better converter than your CD player, sound quality may be reduced, but it may or may not be noticeable to you. The from-the-box analog cables that come with CD players, VCRs, etc are usually "generic". Then you enter the debate over what cables are best & when do you reach the point that spending extra money doesn't improve things enuff to be worth it. If you can't tell any difference between the sound you have now & the sound you have later, then the short answer is that you lose nothing. If you notice a reduction in sound quality, perhaps better analog cables will help.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Just try it out. i'm sure u have some kind of analog cables lying around somewhere.

And of course it depends on the player and receiver. I havn't used a receiver in a while, but does most receivers convert analog input to digital ??? i guess that's important to konw. if so, then definetly stick with the digital input.

If it has an analog pass through preamp, then just try it. shouldn't be much of a difference.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Meestercleef nicely answered the question. Sure there are more variables that go into the sound, but there's no need to over-complicate this.

Vtec,
    I don't know of any receivers that do A/D conversion.

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Aaron
    I have a very nice Sony 5 disc changer that lay inside my closet collecting dust, absolutely mint condition, this one can control any other changer and can also display text, dot matrix display, optical digital output,remote control, let me know if you interest.
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dewey is the one that is interested in a new CD player, not me. I already have a decent Sony ES 5-disc changer.

Aaron
  • vtec11
    vtec11 Posts: 82
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Aron,

don't they do it for DSP soundfields ??
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Options
    don't they do it for DSP soundfields ??
    Hmm, I guess so. I didn't think about that.

Aaron
  • dsc
    dsc Posts: 14
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks to all. You just hate not to use all the doodads. The answer is what I thought it might be.

REgards,
    Dewey Clark, owner
    Historic Timkeepers, Inc
    Full restoration services ofr precision timekeepers
    http://www.historictimekeepers.com