WTB Shallow Receiver

Options
jawhog
jawhog Posts: 444
edited October 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
I don't know how to describe this, I guess "shallow" fits the bill. I want to put a receiver on a built-in bookshelf that is only about 10 or 11 inches deep. I remember seeing some vintage receivers that were made for this, maybe technics? I can't remember.

It's funny, a lot of the units that are called "shelf units" are too deep.

I'm thinking about just a standard fare receiver (not something so nice as the small line of parasounds) because this is a formal living room where the only use would be a little mood or holiday music from time to time, not critical listening, but I don't want to just throw a portable box up there either.

Anyone have anything or an idea for what would work?
Post edited by jawhog on

Comments

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited October 2005
    Options
    My dad's vintage Yamaha receiver(not for sale) would fall into this category. If you would like the model number, then I can get it for you. I remember finding one on ebay for next to nothing. My dad's still sounds very good. Something like 20 watts per channel from the mid 70's.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    Options
    was gonna recommend the LR552 b/c it's height but that wan'st what you were looking for it is 14 inches deep....

maybe that amp on the FS forum with the two bookshelf speakers...unless that sold. it was a little onkyo.

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited October 2005
    Options
    If you're looking for good quality (albeit low power) take a look at the Parasound Z custom series.....

The entire line is designed to fit into small places.

Link... http://www.parasound.com/zcustom/zampv3.php

It's 10" deep and has a real high :cool: factor.
  • jawhog
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I thought about at Louthewiz's onkyo at the time and if I'm not mistaken it's about 14 inches deep. In fact, all those little "executive units" are like that...

As I stated in original post, didn't want to pop for the parasound line, that would be a few hundred bucks by the time I got a tuner, etc.
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited October 2005
    Options
    jawhog wrote:
    I thought about at Louthewiz's onkyo at the time and if I'm not mistaken it's about 14 inches deep. In fact, all those little "executive units" are like that...

As I stated in original post, didn't want to pop for the parasound line, that would be a few hundred bucks by the time I got a tuner, etc.

My bad..... missed the spot about the Parasounds. :o
  • jawhog
    edited October 2005
    Options
    okie, if you can find the model number and check the depth that would be great. I looked at the manuals for some of the low wattage 70's yamahas (CR220 and CR420) and they are both deeper than 12 inches. I really need something smaller than 11 inches, especially if it has rear facing connections. I think some of the pioneers from that time period have an upward-facing panel on the back, which might save some depth.

Another idea I had was to look into those t-amps. Maybe I could just hook that up to a tuner which are frequently shallow and be good to go.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited October 2005
    Options
    It may be couple of days on the receiver. My dad will be gone for the weekend, so it may be Mon or Tues before he gets a chance to look at it.

Other than that, the T-amps would probably be your best bet. If you want better looks, you could make a custom box for them like faster did.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Dang it, I just sold my vintage HK 230 stereo receiver. That thing was tiny, although I never measured the depth...couldn't have been more than 12 inches though. If you can find a good one they go pretty cheap on the bay...that is where I got mine a couple of years back for about $25 shipped.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Jawhog, I have a Technics SA-80. It is only 10" deep. Don't really want to sell this one. Just letting you know that a reciever does exist that fits your needs.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Hey, another option...an Audiosource Amp100. 50 watts per channel, a/b speaker switching and direct inputs to hook up a CD player...plus L/R volume controls on the front. Since you wouldn't be using a pre-amp you won't have tone controls but for background listening this might be OK. And these are nice sounding little amps. 11.5" deep. UBID has them right now for $59 plus shipping. I used to have one of these (ran it bridged to run a center) and it was a nifty little amp.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I know that the kenwood kr-v75r is only just over 11" deep. Remember 'cause I picked up a used one for cramped college spaces. They made a whole line of these things in the 80s or 90s, I think. The kr-v75r was a 100 wpc stereo receiver. They should go cheap if you can find one or one of its siblings...not sure about the model numbers, but they should be a variation of the above one.
  • jawhog
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys. Looks like 11 inches really is the max. That technics is the one I've seen before, just didn't know the model number. I guess I'll have to watch the bay. If anyone else comes across this in the meantime and has something, let me know.
  • jawhog
    edited October 2005
    Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Mint-in-Box-Technics-SA-80-Stereo-Receiver_W0QQitemZ5816601819QQcategoryZ64610QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow it's my lucky day! I guess I'll just try my hardest to outbid everyone for this mint sa-80 that is still in the box. So what if the picture is just of the box and the seller has no feedback? I'm sure he didn't want to take it out and get a fingerprint on it or something. :eek:
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited October 2005
    Options
    well good luck then!

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • jawhog
    edited October 2005
    Options
    My original comment was meant as sarcasm, but the more I look at that photo, the more I'm starting to wonder if this is a legit ebay newbie who didn't think to take it out of box. I tried asking for another picture but no reply.