Removal Help

bobman1235
bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
edited October 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all,

I'm not really a car stereo guy. I've put in a few basic systems in my time, but admittedly am not that into it.

Anyways, I'm borrowing my sister's car for a while, and SOMEONE installed her head unit that had no idea what they're doing - only the front speakers work, every time you go over a bump the thing shuts off, etc. So I tried to take the thing out to see how badly hacked the wiring is back there, but I just can't for the life of me get the damned thing out. Of course, I don't have the "keys" that came with it - those got lost / thrown away. It has the slide-down-the-side type removal system, and I've tried shoving EVERYTHING down there to "unlock" it, and it'll slide out like an inch, and then get STUCK on the left side, and I can't figure out why. Is there some trick to removing these things? Or does anyone know where I can buy replacement "keys" (I don't know what those things are really called... keys sounds good). It's a JVC head unit. I've always used Pioneers and they usually slide out pretty easily once they start coming out.
If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
Post edited by bobman1235 on

Comments

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited October 2005
    I would think you can buy the removal tool at any audio shop, CC, BB, or maybe even a wal-mart. The wires might be getting stuck on the metal sleeve the radio sits in, that could be why you're having trouble.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, I tried WalMart, CC, and BB before harassing you guys. None of them had it - they're probably worried about thieves buying them, I dunno.

I'm ready to rip this thing out violently and buy her a whole new deck.

Thanks for the help tho.
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited October 2005
    Try a regular CA install shop. Maybe if they can't sell you the tool, they can take it out for you. Or see if a friend has one.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited October 2005
    It's hard to say without sitting in front of the head unit and trying to pull it out myself. It can be difficult but you have to have more of a Zen moment with the head unit. Pull it out to where it stops and then move it around some to see if you can't feel what it is hanging up on. If it is a hard stop, you probably have some mechanism stopping your from pulling it out or you have a wire plug getting stuck somewhere. If it is a soft stop and you can still tug on it and move it some then it's what Bill said and the wires are probably getting hung up somewhere.

Personally, I have a couple of sets of screw drivers just for this purpose. I also grabbed an old set of spark plug gapper shims. Well, they are used for lots of stuff but they are thin enough to slide between the sides of the stereo and not get hung up or stuck. They come in hand. So do the eye glass and "precision" screw driver sets.

To get really stubborn head units out, I have been known to disassemble a dash and pull the whole panel it is mounted to out. Then I can see how screwed up it is in all it's glory.

As for the removal tools, you will have to call the specific manufacturer and see if they can ship a new set of removal tools to you. What I did myself was I took all the removal tools that I couldn't replace easily and put them on a keychain. That keychain sits in the closet where all the spare keys hang. They are always there and I always know where they are so I won't lose them.

If you're head unit has the 4 holes, two on each side, then you can make the tool. Grab a wire coat hanger and cut off two pieces about 6-8 inches long. Bend them into U shapes so that the ends match up with the holes. Then jam the U's into those holes, one on each side. Push them in a small bit. You don't have to jam them all the way into the back of the dashboard. Then push the looped ends to the outside of the head unit slightly and pull the unit out in the same motion.

The JVC units though, they are like Kenwood and require a thin piece of notched metal to be slid into the sides, lifted up and then pulled out of the dashboard. It's a bit harder to get those made up your self but if you have some patience and some tin snips and even some tin, you can make a suitable set yourself.

I don't think that many install shops would carry tools for sale but if you are nice, they might give you a set or let you borrow a set. That is proabably not going to work out as nice as we all would think it would though.

Best bet is to call JVC and have them send you the tool, a new harness for the back of the unit and a manual and get the job done correctly, know what I mean? Just because some hack screwed it up for your sister doesn't mean you should have to deal with it too. Just think too, once you get it worked out right, she'll get her car back in better condition that she gave it to you and you'll look like a freaking god and the bestes brother ever!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2005
    what kind of car??

i think the best idea it to find a shop that carries JVC and ask them to borrow their keys really quick. I dont know of anyone who sales them, maybe ebay???
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2005
    If anyone still cares, I got the thing out. There was a grounding screw on teh side that someone had used a ... fat connector on, and it was catching on the dash. I'm bleedin like a sumbitch after gettin it out too. Haha.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2005
    NOW youre a car audio geek! If you havent beld over an installation, youre still just a wannabe!

The next step is to get splinters in your fingers from strands of speaker wire! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2005
    OK, now I'm still confused. It's a newer Chrysler car - the stereo's wired with the correct harnesses, looks OK, etc -- EXCEPT, there's no connection for ground? Whoever installed it just tied the ground coming out of the stereo and screwed it to the side of the unit (?!?!) - but in the wiring harnesses there is no connection for ground (black wire). Why?
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Just take the ground wire coming out of the head unit and ground it to a good solid location on the car.

Dont know why there wouldnt be one in the wiring harness tho.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, I've just never heard of a head unit needing a body ground, but apparently Chrysler does that. Odd.

Thanks again fro the help everyone.
  • Jstas
    edited October 2005
    The ground for the stock stereo may be wired to the chassis of the radio unit itself and then grounded through the mounting bracket. I've seen it done that way before and it would also explain why there was not a ground lead on the harness.

• bobman1235
    edited October 2005
    Jstas wrote:
    The ground for the stock stereo may be wired to the chassis of the radio unit itself and then grounded through the mounting bracket. I've seen it done that way before and it would also explain why there was not a ground lead on the harness.

Has to be the case, because I've been digging around that dash for an hour looking for where the old one was grounded with no luck. I need smaller hands :)
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    Jstas wrote:
    exactly.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Learned something new today. Id never heard of that til now.

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited October 2005
    psh... newbs.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2005
    Haha.

So I got everything back in, hooked up correctly... at least I thought. But I have ZERO bass coming out of any speaker. It just sounds tinny and disgusting. I know most people around here think that unless you're running a full separate amp it sounds disgusting anyways, but this is ridiculous :)

Seriously, any ideas on why this coudl be? Could the amp on the unit be blown? if it was, would I hear anything at all? What if hte ground point I chose was poor, could that cause this?

Sorry for newb questions, I know how annoying it is to repeat this basic BS.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    maybe you have a high pass filter set? Other than that, sounds like somethings blown...unless theres a seperate tweeter and the tweeter is the only thing thats playing...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Learned something new today. Id never heard of that til now.
    want to learn something else about installing radios? dont ever do a damn cadillac. you have to find the external amp in the trunk. unplug it and plug the metra harness into that. Then run all your wires from the metra harness in the trunk all the way to the back of the radio. yes, all 4 speakers wires, ground, constant, acc, power antenna, even the actual antenna wire itself must be run. major PITA
    -Cody
  • hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited October 2005
    Cadillac... King of the road
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • Jstas
    edited October 2005
    exalted512 wrote:
    want to learn something else about installing radios? dont ever do a damn cadillac. you have to find the external amp in the trunk. unplug it and plug the metra harness into that. Then run all your wires from the metra harness in the trunk all the way to the back of the radio. yes, all 4 speakers wires, ground, constant, acc, power antenna, even the actual antenna wire itself must be run. major PITA
    -Cody

I the jellybean shaped Taurus from about 96-99, the only thing in the dash is the CD/Tape plaer drive and some buttons. Everything else is in the trunk. The tuner, the processor, everything. The only thing in the dash is the interface.

I ran my own circuits when I found that out.

• MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Sorry for newb questions, I know how annoying it is to repeat this basic BS.

No need to apologize. Swerve was referring to me having never heard of grounding to the mounting bracket. Feel free to ask as basic a question as you like. We all started out not knowing ****! ;)

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2005
    and some of us are still there :D
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    and some of us are still there :D

Hey! What're you sayin'?! Eh?! You talkin' ta meh?!

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hellohello
    edited October 2005
    Its either directed at you, or me :p

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2005
    no, i was OBViously referring to mac... :p (odd capitalisation intended)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hellohello
    edited October 2005
    ...is there a joke there im not seeing?

• MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    I tell ya, I get no repect; no repsect at all.

rodneydangerfield.jpg

• hellohello
    edited October 2005
    ^ My hero (rodney, of course) :p

• bobman1235
    edited October 2005
    Well, this thread got sidetracked, but if anyone is curious as to the outcome of my dillema, turns out the car had a factory AMP installed, unbenownced to me. So, I had to hook the trigger signal up to, what was labelled in the harness as the power antenna wire, and blammo, full, nice sound :)

I'm assuming the amp takes speaker level inputs rather than signal level, because there are no RCAs in the dash anywhere, and it just works. Is that possible? I've never heard of an amp that takes speaker level as inputs but... must be.

Thanks to those who gave their advice.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2005
    youre right, no RCAs, after all--it is factory. I guess it has some kind of built in LOC in the amp itself, who knows.

Yea, 99% of the time if you dont hook up the blue wire and no sound comes out, its the factory amp
    -Cody