BLADE RUNNER rip offs

Options
2»

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2005
    Options
    In BLADE RUNNER, the genetically modified "toys" relate directly to the theme of what is and what is not real, what is alive and what is not alive, what it means to live free or be a pawn to life. Figured I'd say that, since we have this thread happening like this, you know?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Gawd damn, son!

All that complaining about Blade Runner rip-offs and you didn't even mention the most recent one!

I, ROBOT

I think the real problem resides in the fact that Blade Runner came along just as technology was arriving that could make Sci Fi believeable and not campy. Because of that, alot of things in these movies that seemed preachy in older versions like Metropolis had real personification. Mainly because the effects looked real.

Part of Blade Runner's greatness is that it was about a future. So was Star Trek. However, unlike Star Trek, Blade Runner was a distinct possibility in the minds of people. Star Trek still had that "sitcomish, everything gets worked out in an hour (half hour)" goodness about it. Blade Runner is completely unabashed and gives you a rather ugly looking side of the story and human beings in general. It asked questions and presented situations that made people think. On top of that, you weren't sure if everything actually worked out for the best at the end of Blade Runner.

Those two things together, the whiz band special effects and the Orson Wells like story line that just makes you question existence let alone the human condition, make for a really different, pretty twisted viewing experience. Blade Runner is a great movie. Have there been others after it? Yes, there have. Are they worse, just as good or better? That is in the eye of the beholder. I think there are several movies out there from the time of Blade Runner that were great movies that have been "ripped off" also. Are the "rips offs" bad? No, not necessarily. Do they show a creative artists making a film? Maybe, it really all depends on so much.

I think the biggest issue here is that for alot of people Blade Runner was first and there is not only the greatness of the film to contend with but also that bit of nostalgia that wanders in and skews the bias from time to time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Actually I didn't know that it came from BATMAN... Because in BLADE RUNNER, Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) enters the toymaker's home and says:

"Gosh, you've really got some nice toys here."

See what I'm talking about? SEE?! :mad:

MC
    I don't believe the quote from "Batman" is copied from "Blade Runner". In "Blade Runner" they were actually TOYS. In "Batman" it was more tongue in cheek play on words. I think any similarity is purely coincidental.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I will not stand for Fifth Element besmirchment! :p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I don't believe the quote from "Batman" is copied from "Blade Runner".
    I know. I was just saying. Thought it was funny, is all. I see BLADE RUNNER everywhere!

Blah on THE FIFTH ELEMENT. It's Besson's mistake. (Otherwise, I think he's a brilliant, visionary director.)

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I think it's one big conspiracy by the film industry to piss Micah off!!!

Micah, find the nearest stripclub, grab a beer, sit back and relax AND for gods sake, forget about which movies rip-off which!

Me
    No excuses!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Micah, find the nearest stripclub, grab a beer, sit back and relax AND for gods sake, forget about which movies rip-off which!

Me

John, what makes you think the same critical detail wouldn't be applied to the so called entertainment there. It could make ya question any arousal you might have. :D

Watch what you want, and don't let critics determine whether you enjoyed something or didn't.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited September 2006
    Options
    Did you get 'em while its hot off the shelf? The new REMASTERED Director's cut, $14.99 at BB. I have the original, PQ of the remastered version is a BIG improvement from the original. Details is only limited by the original analog master. This is a classic, so I am very happy with this new release. There is a lengthy thread in AVS on this, next year a new extended/package version will be released. Btw, SQ is continue to be moderately acceptable, but, hey, it is a 25 years old masterpiece.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited September 2006
    Options
    I had heard about this movie for awhile & decided to rent it on netflix. I ordered the original version since thats what everyone seemed to like but they sent me the directors cut so I said wth & watched it for the first time today. Im sure its not really the same watching a 25 year old film for the first time as compaired to seeing it in the theaters when it first came out so maybe it was different for me. That aside, I dont really see what the fuss is with this movie. It seemed very slow & torwards the end I just ended up fast forwarding through the last fight scene just to get to the ending that I thought might reveal some twist but it didnt. I dont know if the regular version is much better.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2007
    Options
    TIVOed BR on HDNET the other night. Whoa! details are very good, all the way down to skin tone of the much younger Ford.

Now this is what I called progress, anyone into BR should have this HD copy (albeit on a Tivo). Very good HD remastered.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,287
    edited March 2007
    Options
    TroyD wrote:
    Ok, wanna know what's wrong with the movie industry? None of them knows **** about Shakespeare.
    BDT

That statement is in the running for "Quote of the Year".
    Sal Palooza
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2007
    Options
    That statement is in the running for "Quote of the Year".

Except it was said in 2005 wasn't it? So would that make it, "Quote of two years ago???" :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2007
    Options
    anyone into BR should have this HD copy
    The day it streets I'll have it.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.