Golden Tube SE-100 100 wpc tube vs Mcintosh

Options
candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited September 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Can my $850 Golden Tube 100 wpc tube amp stand up to the Mcintosh tube amps that sell for 2-3 times as much. I love the sound and am not having any problems with it but I'm a little worried about reliability down the road vs my dual carver tfm-45's. Enjoy or sell is always a tough call. These babies drive my SDA SRS's just as hard as the carvers. IMO this is a $1500 amp easily. Tube amp usually retain their value or even go up significantly such as Mcintosh.

Any comments?

Pics: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32366
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Options
    They are worth what someone will pay for them... BTW, do you have some pics? I think I've seen those before but I'm not 100% sure...

Mcintosh gets a bonus for their reputation that jacks up the price.

NM on the pics, just saw your other thread. I've never seen those in person.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited September 2005
    Options
    If it sounds good, hang on to it. Tubes stuff is easy to work on. Some solid state stuff can be much harder to get parts for or work on.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson