Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Amplifiers, and Toast

hellohello
hellohello Posts: 428
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Now that I have your attention, Im gonna ask a question. As low end amplifiers go, Ive heard a lot of good things about Profile. Now, what is wrong with the other low end amps? Do they just not produce rated power, or do they "cheapen" up the sound? Im mainly asking about three brands in particular, because I see them the most often, Pioneer, Power Acoustik, and Kenwood. I know very little about Power Acoustik as a company overall, Pioneer is known for its head units and not so much its speakers, and Kenwood is prettymuch the same as Pioneer, (electronics and not speakers). Is the reason Im seeing so many of these the fact that they are mass produced very efficiently, or that they suck and no one wants them?
Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
Post edited by hellohello on

Comments

• CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited September 2005
    I have a Power Acoustik amp right now... I don't know if the amp puts out the rated power (70w x 2) but I have the gain set at around 30%... the amp has been working for around 3 years with no probs... I don't know if this helps you... :o
    <|>
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
    My Kenwood KAC-7201 has been a great amp for pushing two Infinity Kappa 12's, I'd recommend it.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    The only differences between cheap amps and high quality amps wil be build quality and power.

Still, any of those 3 will make their rated power, but likely not exceed it. And they should be built well enough to last a while. If youre strapped for cash either of these would work fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hellohello
    edited September 2005
    I see... good to know :)

• hellohello
    edited September 2005
    Since i have a thread open, im noticing that my db650s have dropped off a bit in the bass department... the detail is superb, but they dont shake the doors like they used too. In my mind theres three possible reasons
    1. Im insane and nothing has changed...(notice this is #1)
    2. They have really broken in and now I need an amp for them
    3. I need subwooferage.
    The easiest one to deal with would be an amp, (my insanity is most likely incurable) so thats why i asked about the cheaper ones. Im thinkin simple 2 channel low wattage that would fit under the seat. The only thing would be running all the damn wires since i dont want to get rid of the stock cd player, I just dont like any of the aftermarket ones really.. and i like to be stealthy. Ill use a line from the cigarette lighter for the REM, since i think PBD pointed out that its tied to ignition. then ill probably run the high impedance lines from the radio to the amp at first, if it ends up sucking ill get a line converter later on. Im freakin tired right now and thinking of this makes me want to pass out. Oy.

• MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    Virtually all amps accept speaker level inputs now so you probably woldnt need a converter.

And actually I think all 3 options are correct! ;)
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hellohello
    edited September 2005
    Oh good, a second opinon :D
    As for the line converter, I think it was you Mac who said that the line level inputs were better than the speaker level ones.

• MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    Right, but youre still using an active signal as a source and its been my experience that running thru a line level converter wasnt that much better than using the high level inputs of an amp. Most amps with high level inputs are good enough that they will reject a lot of noise.

A good, pure 4 or 5 volt passive signal from a quality head unit is the only way to go.

• hellohello
    edited September 2005
    ohhh... i get it. Its has to be "pure" line out. gotcha.... although if i ran a coax line from the headunit... lol