The SR series

Options
hellohello
hellohello Posts: 428
edited October 2005 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Ive been reading alot about the SR 6500's, including the data sheet, i have it taped to the ceiling above my bed... mmm injected polyproplene...... anyway.. I was wondering if they were going to extend the line to include subwoofers, and if they did, would the subs have those phase plugs?
Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
Post edited by hellohello on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Polk has a new line of Momo subs coming out, supposedly to match the SR6500's, but they're not going to look the same. They'll look like your standard Momo subs. Their biggest sub (which is still in early prototyping), has dual Neodymium magnet structures and a maximum excursion of three inches! They're looking for a spider system that can move equally as far, because they're tearing up all the ones they've tried.

That sub looks to be a beast, can't wait to see it in action...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Theyre actually planning on coming out with a new Momo line AND a SR line. The Momo looks to be a lot beefier than the current line but the SR line looks to be a freaking monster! I mean a MONSTER! 3" Xmax anyone?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Options
    MacLeod wrote:
    3" Xmax anyone?

:drrrrooooooool:
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2005
    Options
    3" is great and all if you have the motor to handle it. Im curious to see how these things work and am very excited about em
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    exalted- they have the motor to handle it... as I said. dual neodymium drive units, one underneath and one on top, to give a fairly linear power curve. one hits its limit, the other takes over :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hellohello
    edited September 2005
    Options
    ...wooow... I may print this thread out and replace the SR manual with it :)
    on a side note, if those new subs did have a phase plug, and the motor structure ur describing, im sure they would make a nice theft deterrent system, someone opens the trunk or door, a switch is triggered, a nice big burp of amplifier power, phase plug shoots off like bullet, either hits thief or scares him shitless :)

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited September 2005
    Options
    subs don't need phase plugs... only midrange drivers and high end tweeters. It's to enhance imaging and staging, two things that don't matter one bit on subs.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well actually they are to help off axis response and give a better frequency response by keeping freqencies coming from opposite sides of the cone from interfering with each other.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited September 2005
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    exalted- they have the motor to handle it... as I said. dual neodymium drive units, one underneath and one on top, to give a fairly linear power curve. one hits its limit, the other takes over :)
    Have you heard it at full excursion? didnt think so. Ill believe it when i hear it
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Give Polk a little credit. 30+ years experience designing and building speakers, I feel pretty confident they know what theyre doing.

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2005
    Options
    with the amount of effort we saw go into the development of the SR6500s, i think we can trust them to care just as much about the matching subs... i don't think the pile of competitors' subs was there for looks...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I doubt the subs would have phase plugs. Actually, I'd bet against it.
  • neomagus00
    edited September 2005
    Options
    but it'd look so pimp! no, not really, never mind... it would be interesting to see a subwoofer that is, visually, a replica of the SRs, tho, just for continuity...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited September 2005
    Options
    you should make them like the w7s where you have to take the ring out to release the surround and then screw them down under the surround...
    -Cody
  • Toxis
    edited September 2005
    Options
    the overroll technology is patented cody.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    Options
    of course it is, it's jl... duh, cody... :p

• exalted512
    edited October 2005
    Options
    you cant do it different enough to where they cant claim it against you?
    -Cody
  • Toxis
    edited October 2005
    Options
    even halfway close and JL can still call it close enough for a lawsuit... and probably win.

• hellohello
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Thats why u need to do things completely different... like those square subs, who would ever copy that :rolleyes:
    There arent any other square subs, but octagons, hexagons, triangles.... oh my :eek:

• MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Dont be so quick to poo poo those square subs. Thos things will punch a hole in your chest too, especially the L7's. Now the triangle and other rip off subs (except Xtant of course) feel free to ridicule all you like.

• hellohello
    edited October 2005
    Options
    i didnt mean to poo poo the kickers, i didnt know xtant had odd shape subs.. but i just gotta wonder what they were thinkin when they decided to make 'em square...
    "we have to make a bold statement,..."
    "Lets make square subs."
    "BRILLIANT!"
    (read like that beer commercial)

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited October 2005
    Options
    My understanding on the Kickers is that the larger the surface area, the more air it can move. The square gives more surface area and utilizes more baffle space as a comparable round sub(lots of unused space between speakers if they are placed side-by-side). That, and it is a bold statement, both in sound and looks :D
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited October 2005
    Options
    okiepolkie wrote:
    My understanding on the Kickers is that the larger the surface area, the more air it can move. The square gives more surface area and utilizes more baffle space as a comparable round sub(lots of unused space between speakers if they are placed side-by-side). That, and it is a bold statement, both in sound and looks :D

What about reality?
    I have heard good things about Kicker but not enough to make me want to buy a Square Sub...
    <|>
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    Options
    What about reality? Sounds like he just told ya about it.

From what I've heard, they actually pound pretty hard and have really good SQ. But I haven't personally heard one.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited October 2005
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    What about reality? Sounds like he just told ya about it.

From what I've heard, they actually pound pretty hard and have really good SQ. But I haven't personally heard one.

I said that not because I didn't understand his post but because not many people is looking for Kicker gear around here... so even if they have a superior sub design in their hands they're not very popular...
    <|>
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2005
    Options
    I'll give ya that. Take me, for example. I personally don't care for Kicker.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2005
    Options
    Theyre very poplular. Go to any car audio competition and youll see plenty of them. OP is dead on, the square shape gives more surface area so a 10 will move more air than a comparable round 10.

Ive heard several of these and they do sound very good. I would have no problem at all owning one nor would I hesitate to take one into a SQ competition.

These are the Xtant subs:

largePictureX12.jpg

largePictureX2-10.jpg

• exalted512
    edited October 2005
    Options
    the 8s sound pretty good, they get worse in sq as you go up. But if youre looking for loud, youre hard pressed to find something as loud in the same power range in similiar installs. Especially the Solo X subs...jesus christ, it takes two mojos to push one of the 18s correctly.
    -Cody
  • hellohello
    edited October 2005
    Options
    those extants look mean, the x2, if thats what is called, looks better with the smooth cone :)
    im guessing the folds in the cone act as reinforcement, like corrugated steel, or fiberglass

• neomagus00
    edited October 2005
    Options
    that might be a motivation... increased surface area is probably another, looks is probably another...