Sr6500 ?

PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Will the SR6500 fit a stock Ford 5x7/6x8 door slot ('06 Mustang in this case)? If it will, will it work this way in compaxial mode also?

Thanks,
Toby
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2005
    not without cutting. 6500=6.5. It can be done, but not without some loss of the metal door skin. The only problem youd have with running it as a coaxial is how far the tweeter sticks out. I cant tell you for sure, the only thing you could do is try
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2005
    You don't have to cut anything. You need a spacer to fit the 6x8 inch hole and be deep enough so that the 6.5 inch speaker doesn't contact the 6x8 inch hole.

I have 6.5 inch speakers all around in my F-150 and I did not cut one piece of sheet metal on the truck.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    No kidding... I was wondering about this too, as theres more options in the 6.5" category than the 5x7's. Now I have the db570's and I love 'em. Didn't have to cut metal, but did have to drill out new holes. Was thinking about stepping up to the momo 5x7's eventually, but first in line is new subs+amp
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2005
    Jstas wrote:
    You don't have to cut anything. You need a spacer to fit the 6x8 inch hole and be deep enough so that the 6.5 inch speaker doesn't contact the 6x8 inch hole.

I have 6.5 inch speakers all around in my F-150 and I did not cut one piece of sheet metal on the truck.

Jstas, you got any pics?

Thanks,
    Toby
  • Jstas
    edited September 2005
    No but I have to fix a spacer that is rattling so I will have to take it apart soon. I can get pictures then.

• PolkThug
    edited September 2005
    Cool, thanks. I keep teetering back and forth if I want a stealth install or a visible one.
  • exalted512
    edited September 2005
    SRs have fairly large baskets, i think you would have to cut, especially if you want to use them as coaxials, the more space you put between the speaker and the door skin, the less space youll have between the tweeter and door panel
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2005
    Or wait for the 5.25s.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    How long would one have to wait for those?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Absolutely you can fit them. I just slapped a set in my Ram which has 6x9 openings and I had the MM6 in there before that which is as big as a sub.
    SRs have fairly large baskets

Huh? They are actually quite small and shallow.

P Thuggy, here is the thread where I installed mine. I used the supplied spacer and slapped some Dynamat over the top of it which worked fine for the 6x9s. You may have to build your own but its a snap. Just grab a piece of 1/2" plywood from your nearest Lowes and cut out what you need.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2005
    audiobliss wrote:
    How long would one have to wait for those?

Excellent question... I'll tell you when we start shipping them :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    No matter how far off it is, I'll betcha I still won't have enough moeny for 'em! :p
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    They had a working set on the soundboard, and they sounded just as sweet as the 6.5s, with just slightly reduced low-end bass.

I would guess "not long"
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • exalted512
    edited September 2005
    not large as in shallow, large as in diameter
    -Cody
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited September 2005
    We put SR6500's in the F- 350, which has NO room between the plastic door skin and steel door where the speaker mounts. I trimmed a slight bit around the middle of the 5x7" holes (just enough to drop the speakers in) and used the supplied 6x9" adaptor inside the door. The speaker sits on top of the steel, and the plastic spacer is behind the steel. In angled coax mode the tweeters hit the door panel and they slightly bulge out, even with the speaker mounted flat on the steel. There's just no room in that truck. But the bulge doesn't look too weird, and they didn't affect window travel, so they've stayed there for months.

My guess is that you could make them work, but it'll probably be a couple hour install, not 20 minutes...
  • exalted512
    edited September 2005
    Thom wrote:
    We put SR6500's in the F- 350, which has NO room between the plastic door skin and steel door where the speaker mounts. I trimmed a slight bit around the middle of the 5x7" holes (just enough to drop the speakers in) and used the supplied 6x9" adaptor inside the door. The speaker sits on top of the steel, and the plastic spacer is behind the steel. In angled coax mode the tweeters hit the door panel and they slightly bulge out, even with the speaker mounted flat on the steel. There's just no room in that truck. But the bulge doesn't look too weird, and they didn't affect window travel, so they've stayed there for months.

My guess is that you could make them work, but it'll probably be a couple hour install, not 20 minutes...
    so basically what i said, but my experience is also coming from ford trucks, not the mustangs
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited September 2005
    exalted512 wrote:
    so basically what i said, but my experience is also coming from ford trucks, not the mustangs
    -Cody

The F-350 is the SuperDuty body now and an entirely different story from the F-150/F-250.

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Thats ironic. As freaking big as those SuperDutys are youd think there would be enough room to mount a sub in those doors!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D