XRt12 XM inards

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I opened up the XRt12 last night to see what was inside. Hmmm, lots of through hole capacitors. I wonder... Could there be any gains by replacing as I did in the toshiba dvd? Seems a shame to have so many parts without replacing any of them. :D
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I opened mine up before I plugged it in because it was rattling. Someone had left a zip tie laying inside :). I have some pics of it... I'll post 'em up in a bit.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Here's some pics for those who are too timid to open up their XRt12. BTW- that case is a **** to get on and off, isn't it?

tn_med_100_0887.jpg

tn_med_100_0888.jpg

tn_med_100_0889.jpg
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Cool Pics! I notice all the wiring is routed exactly the same as mine. Lots of circuitry on the main board. All the space around the boards is probably keeping a lot of noise from being transfered from the power supply to the main board. Probably not much to do here other than possibly beefing up the power supply caps and maybe some good caps in the signal path. Maybe an IEC connector and power cord. A battery supply might be cool. I'll have to check out the output op-amps if that is what they are using. Maybe some dual single channel ones. As long as we are dreaming, maybe a tube output stage, dampening of the chassis for no apparent reason and some nice vibrapods??? :)
    madmax

Edit: Sure would be nice to have a schematic of this beast!

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2005
    Options
    You worry me, son...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Tubed output stage....hmmm.....Max you just might be onto something, if it's feasible.
    Is it feasible? I mean, since it was free, maybe it could be done for less than the cost of one them.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sure, anything can be done given enough work. The question is that if you eliminate the original output stage and use a tube stage instead, will it sound better. Probably would, assuming nothing got screwed up in the process and it still works. Ha ha.
    madmax

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2005
    Options
    With a solid top case, it's not practical to try and tube that out unless you're going to drill the hell out of the case to vent it.......then it doesn't have the clean look it currently has......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Options
    So? It'd be tubed!

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2005
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    BTW- that case is a **** to get on and off, isn't it?

Here's the trick... take the sides and sort of pull the bottom part outward while pushing up on the backside of the chassis. I generally have my thumbs on the side part toward the back and use my fingers to pry the little hinge part off of the bottom. Work it like its hinged on the front of the unit and pull out at about a 45 degree angle.

And yes, it sure is a b*tch! I've probably done it a couple hundred times, so I definitely know all about it.

As for upgrades, probably the only things you might want to think about are simple power supply stuff and opamps. The DAC is pretty gosh darn good (Burr Brown), so I wouldn't worry about that. And I wouldn't hold my breath for schematics :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Microdots, as soon as mine arrives.

Is it just me, or is the power supply in a weird spot? I'm thinking preamp and FM tuner, but wouldn't you want it as far away from the boards as possible?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited September 2005
    Options
    boy you have enough room in there to put a toaster and a cd player and still have room left over.
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    Options
    bknauss wrote:
    And I wouldn't hold my breath for schematics :)

Reverse engineering is always the fun part anyway. :D

madmax

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2005
    Options
    You guys are sick puppies!!! :eek: Can't you be happy just plugging the damn thing in & listening to the tunes???? :confused::p:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Options
    cfrizz wrote:
    You guys are sick puppies!!! :eek: Can't you be happy just plugging the damn thing in & listening to the tunes???? :confused::p:D

Now what fun would THAT be??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Microdots, as soon as mine arrives.

Is it just me, or is the power supply in a weird spot? I'm thinking preamp and FM tuner, but wouldn't you want it as far away from the boards as possible?

I was looking at the transformer leads ty-wrapped to the signal leads, but that's a quick fix. Then again it may not matter, looks like just information for the display function... :confused:
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nadams
    edited September 2005
    Options
    cfrizz wrote:

No... I can't afford to activate it yet!

And to think, I just cancelled my XM subscription when I resold my old tuner. *sigh*
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    Options
    cfrizz wrote:

Hmmm... The thought never crossed my mind.

Actually I did listen and it sounds pretty good. I added the below network from AR and with this unit it really added some excitement to the sound. Some things it does wonders for, others it doesn't.
    737p.JPG 105.1K

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2005
    Options
    What is that module?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • madmax
    edited September 2005
    Options
    As best as I can tell it is an impedance matching network of some sort. It is made by AR. It can make some sources come alive by being more dynamic while doing absolutely nothing for other sources. I found a handfull of them at a flea shop and decided they looked interesting so I bought them.
    madmax

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Microdots

Are those the purple kind? :eek: :p:D
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2005
    Options
    cfrizz wrote:

boys will be boys..... ;)

I don't plan on opening mine up. I'm sure it voids any kind of warranty.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nadams
    edited September 2005
    Options
    danger boy- there's no way for them to tell... no warranty stickers or any of that. But anyway, I've done the hard work for you, and posted pictures, so no need for you to open yours up.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2005
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    boys will be boys..... ;)

I don't plan on opening mine up. I'm sure it voids any kind of warranty.

Matt will come personally by and slap your hand ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks Noah for doing the work for me. ha ha ha!

I was quite surpised how little guts the thing has. I bet it could be made into a pint sized unit and maybe bring down production costs... hint, hint.

Also with this post i've just hit post #4444 :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • nadams
    edited September 2005
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    I was quite surpised how little guts the thing has. I bet it could be made into a pint sized unit and maybe bring down production costs... hint, hint.

Look at most consumer CD Players out there. the reason they're the size they are is to make them match all the other components out there. But yes, Polk could fit their xm tuner into a smaller space... saaaaay, a tabletop radio/cd/hd/xm player? :)

But yeah, I've seen CDPs that have ALL of their circuitry mounted on the front faceplace, with the only thing in the chassis being the power converter and the cd tray itself. LOTS of empty space there!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2005
    Options
    You know being an Electronic Technician by trade also my Job title ET, I never had any desire to open the XM tuna up :confused:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Seems like tons of real-estate in there. Almost waste of space.
  • nadams
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Grrr.... activated my radio on www.xmradio.com last night, and as of 7:30 this morning, I still couldn't get more than channel 1! Garh! Refreshed the activation, but I'm at work 'til 1:30, so we'll see this afternoon whether it worked or not.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited September 2005
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    But yes, Polk could fit their xm tuner into a smaller space... saaaaay, a tabletop radio/cd/hd/xm player? :)

QUOTE]

Different XM circuitry :) Look up some info on the XM plug and play antenna.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • nadams
    edited September 2005
    Options
    bknauss wrote:
    nadams wrote:
    But yes, Polk could fit their xm tuner into a smaller space... saaaaay, a tabletop radio/cd/hd/xm player? :)

Different XM circuitry :) Look up some info on the XM plug and play antenna.

I seeee.... receiver built into antenna. Interesting. Why has noone made a tuner that can receive both XM and Sirius?
    Ludicrous gibs!