Tube Int. Amp (Onix?)

Options
FerCruz
FerCruz Posts: 9
edited October 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi,

Im new to the forum. Ive been reading a lot from you folks and I have to congratulate you all. :D

I own a pair of Lsi9's and im very happy. The only bad thing would be the low impedance and low sensitivity.

I want to try tubes, and i was looking at the SP3 and H34 from Onix.

Has anyone tried this int. amps. with the Lsi9´s????

They show 38w and 45w each one, and have a 4 and 8 ohms. Would this amps. be sufficient?

Thanks.
It´s all about the TUBES!!!!
Post edited by FerCruz on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
    That is enough power for low to medium level listening, not much more.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    edited September 2005
    Options
    The Onix tube integrated amps were built to work with the Onix Reference 1 bookshelf speakers which use a similar tweeter to the Polk LSi line. The Onix and Polk speakers are 88db sensitivity, which is the limiting factor. Speaker impedance doesn't matter as much with tube amps. As Madmax says, the power ratings should be okay for up to medium listening levels. I'd also look at the Jolida products if they're available to you in Mexico. The EL34 based JD-302B is less expensive than the Onix H34, about the same price here in the U.S. as the Onix SP3. For the price of the H34 you could get the 6550 based JD-502B from Jolida. I'd steer clear of the Onix SP3 myself because of its comparatively lower power and only two inputs.
  • FerCruz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks.

I really like listening to rock, so maybe the extra power given by the Jolida 502B is worth it. I can buy the 502B here in M
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited September 2005
    Options
    more power is always a good thing.
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hello FerCruz,
    I have a pair of LSi9 and had them hooked up to a tube amp. IMO, LSi's and tube amps don't mix well. Not sure about other amps, but I have a Dyna ST-70 35w/ch, EL34 output tubes in push-pull configuration. The LSi perform MUCH better using a tube and SS amp.

I was happy with my LSi/tube amp set up at the time then decided to run my RT800i through the amp just for fun. I couldn't believe it. The 800i kicked my LSi9's **** almost in every way. Don't know if it's the design or higher efficiency of the RT but I was blown away. To this day, I regret selling my RT800i.

Maurice
  • FerCruz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    organ,

I've just read your post. Maybe to late. I just ordered the Onix H34.

The specs state 45 w. This amp. works with (4) EL34, (2) 6Sn7, (2) 6922, (2) 12AT7 and (2) 12AX7
  • FerCruz
    edited September 2005
    Options
    organ,

I've just read your post. Maybe to late. I just ordered the Onix H34.

The specs state 45 w. This amp. works with (4) EL34, (2) 6SN7, (2) 6922, (2) 12AT7 and (2) 12AX7.

I dont see any rectifier tubes, so I suposse its SS rectified. I guess the 6SN7 are the ones for the Phase? Anyone could explain this please?

Anyway, I hope it works well with my Lsi9's, if not, ill sell it. :p
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Aw don't listen to Organ....he's a Canuck. Plus he probably smokes weed and dates strippers. Definitely not to be trusted :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited October 2005
    Options
    FerCruz,
    I sure would like to hear how your new tube amp works out for you, it sure is a nice looking amp.

Somewhere I've read generally speakeing tube amps even though they may be rated at 40 watts they have the power equal to an 80 watt or more solid state amp. Tubes are in my future and not something I know a lot about but that is what I've heard.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's