Melted MMC690 crossovers!!

PTY@full_bass
PTY@full_bass Posts: 8
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Brief Story:
I bought a pair of MMC690 and a pair of MMC650 a couple of months ago.
I installed the MMC650 and the crossovers got melted because of the heat, obviously the speakers dont work anymore. Then I bought some Kicker components, they are installed and working well.

After two months of installing the MMC650 I decided to install my MMC690, and like I already had a bad experience with the MMC650 I decided to check on the crossovers. They are getting extremly hot. They wont last too much if I keep on using them.

Im using a Lightning Audio BOLT 400.4 (75x4 rms) for the speakers.

What do you recommend me? Is there any other crossover I could use, other brand maybe, or does POLK has like heavyduty crossovers?

By the way, I live in PANAMA, I bought those speakers in Dallas, a store called Speakers and Tweeters or something like that. I could make use of the warranty, but Ive just started on installing all the equipment on my car, I dont want to waste more time on shipping them back and forth.

Best regards,

Rod Blasser
Panama City, Rep of Panama.
Post edited by PTY@full_bass on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2005
    the only time ive ever heard of anyone melting any crossover, not just polk, was when they were quadrupluing the power rating...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PTY@full_bass
    edited September 2005
    Do you think it could be the amplifier?

This is the one Im using: B2.400.4 click here!

What do you recommend?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Im stumped. I dont think that amp is even capable of putting out enough juice to melt a 100 watt crossover. Maybe if you were bridging the fronts together and clipping the amp but youd have to work to do that.

Can you tell if the crossover is melting from the inside or the outside?

Other than that, Ive never heard of crossovers melting either.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Could you post a picture of the crossover?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • PTY@full_bass
    edited September 2005
    OK the actual case of the crossover melted on one side. Im not sure on how to write that in english, is like a round black part, that part exploted.

Tomorrow I will take a picture of it, how do I upload it?

The guy that is installing my basses told me that the problem might be distortion from the amplifier, it has too much gain. What do you think?
  • PTY@full_bass
    edited September 2005
    Wait, forget it, Im going to use cardomain.com jeheh
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    I dont see how. Even if you clipped the hell out of that amp it wouldnt send out more than 175 watts thru the x-over and I just dont see that ruining it. I was running 150+ thru mine for a while with no problem.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2005
    i dont see it happening either...something is messed up.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it