MOMO coaxial vs db series components

mikemock
mikemock Posts: 4
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am interested in replacing the factory speakers in my truck.

I have narrowed it down to 2 Polk models

1) db6500 component ($199).

vs.

2) MMC650 coaxial w/external crossover ($169).

Which would sound beter, the budget oriented db6500 components or the higher model MOMO coaxials? Why?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by mikemock on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2005
    are you going to be running an amp? if not, the question is easy. get the db's. If so, im a firm believer that the cost is justifed from the jump from the db to momo lines, but then again I have over 2 grand in just components in 2 cars.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mikemock
    edited September 2005
    Cody,

I am just planning on replacing the existing factory speakers (6.5" w/tweeter in front doors & 6.5" w/o tweeter in rear doors). The front replacement can be either 2way coaxial or components.

I don't plan on replacing the existing radio/CD/cassette deck. At least not yet.

The db components are about $30 more expensive than the MOMO 2ways. This $30 difference will not drive my decision, I am interested in which of these sounds better.

In this case the MOMOs are actually $30 cheaper, but they are 2way (w/external crossover). The db's are are component.

If I understand you correctly, the 2way MOMOs would be better that the component db's (with or without amp)?

Thanks for your input.

M.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2005
    oops. I misread your post. I thought you were comparing momo coaxials to db coaxials. my question is are you plan on getting an amp? If not, I dont recommend either of those speakers. I would recommend the DB coaxials
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mikemock
    edited September 2005
    Is it that the MOMO's need more power that an amp will give?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2005
    Nope. The MOMOs are real nice, high-quality speakers that require a good bit of power (watts). If you're just going to rip out the stock speakers and pop-in some new ones, you're just running the new speakers off of the factory HU (head unit - CD/Cassette/radio player). In this case, you don't have nearly enough power to push any MOMO speakers. If you bought an external amplifier to amplify the signal between the HU and the speakers, then you would be able to get the better sounding MOMOs.

If you go with the db components, they will also require an external amplifier because they are components; by nature they require more power.

So, if you're going to just run your new speakers off of you factory HU, you should go with some db series coaxial speakers. If you want something nicer, get an external amplifier. If you're not looking to do a whole lot, a cheap Profile or Kenwood amp will suffice. Just stay away from Sony and Audiobahn. For doing some research and looking at prices, visit www.Crutchfield.com. That's a great place to read-up on equipment, and even if you decide to buy from a store, the price should be about the same.

Just in case you're interested in an amp, this one should do just fine for $80.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sb7iVX26vRn/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=489AP400
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Components will usually sound better than coaxials due to better crossovers and components but in this case the Momo's would be better for a drop in installation.

The coaxials will work fine off head unit power and have a very good crossover and outstanding tweeter. I recommend the Momo.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mikemock
    edited September 2005
    Thanks to everyone.

I think I will deploy this in phases. First I try the MOMO coaxials in back doors and see how I like them. Then I will decide if the I want additional MOMO coaxials in front, or get the db components. If they are underpowered I will get an amp.

M.