Speaker choice?

Options
zgw8
zgw8 Posts: 78
edited September 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi all - I have a RM7500 HT system that I have converted to my two channel audio system for music.

I am considering changing my speakers to the RTi4 with an HSU VTF-2 sub.

Any thoughts? Should I keep the 7500 sats and try the sub first?
Post edited by zgw8 on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2005
    Options
    for musicm the RTi4's and the HSU will prob be a good combo. I'm assuming this is only for 2 channel right?

the RTi4 should be a significant improvement. I think the sats were made specifically for multichannel format.

what amplification are you using?

I've heard the RTi4 and 6. Might be worth it to get the six if you can swing it. Doesnt seem that much bigger, but sounds it.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • zgw8
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yes, two channel.

I am using a Harmon Kardon AVR500 receiver.

Should be enough power for the RTi4s?

Sub has its own power.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Should be ample power for the RTi6's or 4's
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • zgw8
    edited September 2005
    Options
    In another thread, I was talking about pairing some RTi4s with an HSU VTF-2 sub for two channel audio. Someone suggested the RTi6s. I won't be able to audition them but I am a believer in Polk.

Will the 6s sound much better for the $$ than the 4s? I know that is a subjective question but looking for some feedback.

Thanks,

zgw8
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited September 2005
    Options
    If you don't mind being out a few bucks, order them both from Crutchfield and audition them, then send the unwanted speakers back. This may put you out $10-$15, but you will KNOW which ones you like better then.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited September 2005
    Options
    if you have a tweeter audio/video store nearby you can buy them and if you dont like them you can return them and get a full refund.
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    Zgw,

As Okie suggests - purchasing them both from a place like Crutchfield will give you the answer your looking for.

From personal experience; the Rti-6 is a bit more forward in presentation, and naturally sports a fuller sound. It can go a bit louder without breaking up.

I personally favor the Rti-4 due to a slightly smoother presentation and a more coherent sound all across the board.

Both are my favorite RTi bookshelf speakers I've heard from Polk.

+1. all of it.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I agree with the other posters on their suggestions. Another thing you might want to try is looking at used RT speakers. If you can find a pair of RT5's cheap, jump on it! They're my favorite from all the RT line I've listened to. I also love the older models with tri-lam tweeters.

Maurice
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Stereophile gave the Rti 4's a pretty glowing review not too long ago. They never bothered to compare them to the 6's as far as I know.
    Personally, I think the bigger woofer in the 6 is all benefit, especially when using it for 2 channel alone. For instance, with the Sonus Faber Concertino vs. the Concerto's, there is a huge difference in presentation between the two. Similarly, the 6's have a better soundstage. I have two friends that use Rti 6's as their mains, and they are both very happy with them.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • zgw8
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I just ordered the RTi4s with a HSU VTF-3 MK2 subwoofer. Should sound awesome.

Thanks for all the responses.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    Options
    HSU- sweet. i'm envious.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2005
    Options
    went with the beefier sub eh?, that should sound like a sweet set up.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • zgw8
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yeah... Now I'm torn between the HK3480 with 120/channel for $268 (don't need the tuner) and the Cambridge Audio 640A for $479. Anyone heard either of these two?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    How's about the NAD 320 BEE ?

The Cambridge isn't too shabby, although dollar for dollar, it will not stand up to the 320 BEE
    Either the NAD or Cambridge Audio would be better than the HK. I own gear from both (NAD and CA) and while my first choice would probably be the NAD either one would be sweet.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Way to go! IMO you made the right choice. I strongly agree with Zero's comments about the RTi4s. I had both 4s and 6s for awhile and ultimately prefered the 4s.

Enjoy your new toys!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • zgw8
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Wow - here is whats going to push the sound through my setup:

NAD C372
    NAD C542

Pretty excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zero wrote:
    How's about the NAD 320 BEE ?

The Cambridge isn't too shabby, although dollar for dollar, it will not stand up to the 320 BEE

That HK is nice, especially for the price, but again, the 320 is a better bet!