Speaker Wiring Question

moorefun
moorefun Posts: 2
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently have a C300.2 amp powering a pair of MMC6500. They are in the cockpit of my boat. I have an extra set of MMC5250 I was wanting to add. I was wanting to know about using the amp to power both sets of speakers (wired in parallel). I know that this is done with subs, but is acceptable to do with Coaxial speakers? What are the drawbacks, if any?

Thanks,

Mark
Post edited by moorefun on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2005
    you can do it - the c300.2 is stable down to 2 ohms per channel in stereo mode.

so put one mmC6500 and one mmC5250 on the left channel... and one 5250 and one 6500 on the right channel.

it's perfectly acceptable to do that with a coaxial. i have 4 marine 6x9's in the back of my truck that are wired the same way you have described off a 2 channel amp.

the drawbacks? amp will get a little warmer because it's putting out more power. that's about all.

now - because the 5250's are smaller speakers with a little lower RMS power rating, when you tune the setup and figure out where "max volume" is going to be for you - pay attention to the 5250's more than the 6500's - the 5250's will distort / start to sound crappy before the 6500's do.

happy boating.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    The only real drawbacks are that all 4 speakers will be playing at the same level and you wont be able to fade between them but on a boat this shouldnt be a problem.

The only other drawback is that your amp will be running at 100% which mean more heat and more distortion. Dont get me wrong tho, I doubt youll ever hear any I just dont like to keep the amp pushed that far unless its for subs.

Other than that, itll work just fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • moorefun
    moorefun Posts: 2
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the quick response! I was pretty sure that this would work, but just wanted to make sure.

I get plenty of sound with the current setup, when the engines are off or, I am cruzing slow. The 2 speakers that are installed now are in the back part of the cockpit. When I go fast the air blows the sound out the rear of the boat, which is ok if you are in the rear of the boat. I have to turn it up for me to hear it and it is too loud for the passengers in the rear. My thought was to add the 2 mmC5250 to the front of the cockpit. This would place the sound in front of me while I am driving.

If I run out of power, I can always add another amp!

Thanks,

Mark