Identifying Vintage Speakers

Options
canadianicon25
canadianicon25 Posts: 200
edited September 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Could someone provide with some guidelines (help) with identifying a vintage set of Monitor 5's? I believe a number of different models were made (ie: M5, M5 Jr etc.) Where should I look on the speaker to correctly identify them. I can also post pictures if you think that would help.

Thanks
RI
Post edited by canadianicon25 on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2005
    Options
    You know we LOVE pictures! :)
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Pictures work well.... do a search for my "Identifying your vintage tweeters" thread. A lot can be told about your speakers depending on what tweeter they use. I'm gonna update that thread, maybe later today, with some better pictures. My new camera takes much nicer pics than my old one did.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • canadianicon25
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I checked out the thread "identifying vintage tweets" and I think I have mon. 5jr pre '85 with a peerless SL-1000
  • canadianicon25
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sorry bout that. Wasn't thinking while typing. The tweeter has been idtentified as a peerless tweeter. No polkaudio stamp and there is a small pin-sized hole in the tweeter material. It's possbile that a long time ago that the tweeter was replaced with a peerless; I don't know the history.

Another note that may help:

The mid driver baffle slightly overlaps the passive radiator baffle.

Check it out in the pics (hard to see the overlap though)
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'm awful confused, here.

If your 5jrs have a passive radiator, then they would've shipped from the factory with either an sl2000 or sl2500. Can you remove your tweeter and look on the back and tell us what it is?

You may actually have a pair of monitor 7's. Pics of your speakers would tell for sure.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • canadianicon25
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sorry,

There are some pics in the thread Polkie needs some help (vintage section)
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31670