Speakers Finally Installed

spackelman
spackelman Posts: 31
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
After 5 months of looking at yellow and red boxes, (mm6500 & mm650), I finally installed them in my truck. 6500 up front and 650 in rear doors (crew cab, 2002 chevy silverado

The amp - pg octane 5/4.0 - still in a box on the work bench. Will install soon.

hu is pioneer deh960mp.

This is what I've done so far (no rocket science here):

I tapped into the existing speaker leads for the crossover inputs, then ran new wires from the x overs to the speakers and tweets.

Sound is incredible (I think) - thats my problem - I don't know how good it is supposed to sound. Stupid me.

Question - is there any 1 tune that you guys would agree on, that would be a good baseline for judging the sq of a system. Whether it would be mozart, zeplin, metallica, whoever, 1 tune.

I know that if it sounds good to me, all is supposed to be well.

Just curious though, is there a tune that could be used?

This may be the most stupidist (is that a word?) - question on this entire forum - but stupidity knows no boundaries.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by spackelman on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    It depends on the type of music you listen to. If you like metal then you wouldnt want to tune your system to rap. If you like jazz then you wouldnt want to tune your system to metal.

Take a CD you know well and that is well recorded and produced and use it as a baseling. Here is where high quality home speakers would be a valuable tool. If you dont have any run down to youre local high end home audio shop and ask to demo that CD on some good speakers. Thatll give you a good reference and then start tweaking your system till it sounds as close to that as possible.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2005
    for overall musical "tuning of your car" - billy joel's greatest hits volume three - specifically "keepin the faith" and "a matter of trust" work good for me - they fly all over the musical spectrum from bass to highs (horns) and everything in between. it'll make a "gap" inyour system apparent.

also - for setting the level on your bass -- dmx "and then there was x" cd is very good for that - u'll know when yo'uve set your bass boost or sub gains too high.

and apparently, for my piece of **** sytem - gary allan's "smoke rings in the dark" is a problem track ... everything else sounds fine - gary sounds like **** - go figger.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    I listen primarily to heavy metal and hard rock so thats what my system is tuned for (i.e. low bass low treble) and the CD's I use to tune with are:

Liquid Tension Experiment II - Has lots of intricate guitar, bass, keyboard and drum parts and has an extremely clean production. Great for tuning for detail and kick drums.

Queensryche 'Empire' - A superb recording with very smooth vocals and guitar. Great for tuning overall smoothness and male vocals

Rush 'Test for Echo' - The guitar is not very heavy and can sound thin on lesser or wrongly tuned speakers. Great for tuning for depth and midbass.

Nightwish 'Nemo' - Lots of super heavy guitars with keyboards and a phenomenal female, classically trained singer. The overall production is kind of thin and can get really harsh at high volume even on the best speakers. This one is great for tuning out harshness and dialing in female vocals.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2005
    methods of mayhem with tommy lee - "propostion f*** y**" - great song, wicked bass line - its so hard that it actually stretches beyond what i'd call normal tuning - if you can tune a system to not sound like crap with that bassline and still sound great with everything else, then you've done a hell of a job.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge