Ron's project has inspired me...

Options
shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I have been looking for a smaller more "musical" sub to go with my system. I was considering the Adire Rava for only $399 plus shipping. I ran across this at Parts Express 10" TITANIC VANCE SUBWOOFER KIT . Does anyone know anything about Dayton? It looks interesting and I don't really need a big sub so this might fill the bill.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i have herd people making the kits on the thf i also visit they have a diy page do you want to do it your self or buy it pre bult
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I kind of like this one (click on the name in the post above) because it already has the box built and you just put it together. Not too tough but it would still feel like "I built my own Sub!"

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Shack, I'm with you on this one, I could actually do something like this Titanic. I've looked it over, and it's pretty tempting.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Take the plunge, its more of a beast than you guys realize...very hard punch, deep, and musical. I have heard it on 2 short occasions, but it did impress me....

I'd put it up there with the entry level SVS...I think a couple forum members have built one....Chris???

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks Russ, At $350 it would be hard to go wrong. I think this is what I need to listen to music with my rt55is! I'm probably going to order it in the next few days.

• RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Aaron posted this link some time back, good reading on the Dayton Kit....

Titanic

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks again Russ.

• RuSsMaN
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Should we all be discussing the option of a 'group' purchase???

I wonder if pe knew they had 10 people interested in the kit, they might knock 15% off or so.....

Just something to ponder....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hey count me in. I'm always up for saving a few bucks!

Anybody else? If there are enough people it might be worth a call.

• lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Are you guys nuts? I am saving up for my HSU VTF-2! :)

Since I am not a speaker builder, don't you think that it might get a little tricky when I run into problems (ala, it won't turn on or why is there smoke coming from the amp)?

I meant that as a serious question, if you buy this kit and then f up on it, won't you be out $350?
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I meant that as a serious question, if you buy this kit and then f up on it, won't you be out $350?

I don't think it will be much of a problem. Here is the last speaker I built. A little wood glue, some solder and duct tape and voila!

MVC004F.JPG

They should sound good if I ever get them to work.

Seriously. If you look at the ad and the article, it should be a simple project for anyone with even basic skills.

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i wonder if they have a 15" or 18" sub kit
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    proabley and you can do a sonotube they are easy all you need is a roughteer and ssome simple tools . if you can hook up your speakers you can wire a sub the bulding is a little more work but with the right tools not a problem