db650 question

Abbakil
Abbakil Posts: 2
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm a little confused about the construction of the db650s I just bought. The speakers come with a grey ring around the mounting holes, but every picture I've seen of these speakers has the ring removed. I just installed two pairs of these in my '05 Rav4 and the rings warped when I screwed the speakers to the doors. Are these rings supposed to be a permanent part of the speaker? Thanks.
Post edited by Abbakil on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    Youre probably talking about the templates they give you in case you need to cut a hole to fit them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited September 2005
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2005
    <--- totally lost on this one...

a gasket would be foamy wouldn't it?

and a template would be paper or something not plastic?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    The template is cardboard. Thats what my speakers had. They didnt have a gasket, well the SR's did but my MM6 and MMC690's didnt. I dunno. Either way, I wouldnt use it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Abbakil
    Abbakil Posts: 2
    edited September 2005
    Let me clarify. The current db650 has rubber around the inner half of the screw holes and gray plastic around the outer half of the screw holes. So it's the rubber surround, the rubber ring and then the gray plastic ring around that. As screws are tightened onto the speakers, the gray plastic tends to move and even separate from the speaker's frame. The only way to keep this from happening is to not tighten the speaker all the way down, so I'm wondering why it was made this way. The older pictures I've seen of these speakers make much more sense, as it appears the screw heads would tighten directly onto the speaker's frame.