Mounting Amps Under Seats

Siegel1719
Siegel1719 Posts: 28
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well I was wondering what you guys though of doing this. I have 2 Carbon Series 300/2s. Ive had my cars broken into several times and had systems stolen so i though under the seat would be more stealth and harder to steal. But ive also heard about spilling something on them(Rarely eat or drink in my car) but its my daily driver so im also worried about snow in the winter. Its a 2 door cavalier if that matters. So what are your opinions?

Thanks
Jeremy
Post edited by Siegel1719 on

Comments

• Siegel1719
    edited August 2005
    Oh yeah should of said i would mount one amp under each of the front seats.

Jeremy
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    we do it all the time at our shop, just make sure theres nothing under where youre drilling...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Siegel1719
    edited August 2005
    Allright cool now i just gotta hope they fit and wont interfer with anything.

Thanks
    Jeremy
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Cody is right. There is nothing wrong with mounting them under the seat so long as there is plenty of clearance. You dont want them to be squeezed under there cause they wouldnt get proper air flow for cooling.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    when i first got my 99 ram, i had wanted to mount the amps under the seats. the problem was, they barely fit - they were small (physically) mtx's - the 500D and the 304. i ended up having to cut little wooden feet for the 500d because there was a metal bar on the floor under the seat (part of the seat structure) on the passenger side. the 304 was a bigger nightmare - there was no metal bar on that side, but there was a wiring harness that i guess was for seat belt warning lights and ****. well it was a short harness so it kind of "hung in mid air" under seat stretching from the center console to the driver seat front left bolt. so i had to cut like 15 wires and solder 1 foot long extentions onto them and then tuck the harness off to the side.

it is by all means do-able, just don't bust anything while you're at it - be patient, and be prepared for obstacles... be VERY careful where you drill - a car is a lot worse than a truck - in a truck there is almost always a few inches if not more between the floor and gas lines, brake lines, etc etc... in a car, that is not always the case, they are sometimes right up against the floor pan.

also - so long as you have about 2 inches of air space between the top of the amp and thebottom of the seat (when someone is sitting in it), then i dont think you'll have a problem with overheating unless they are hot running amps. i haven't had experience with the polk amps yet, but i've seen many kenwood's, hifonics, and alpine amps under seats then never went into thermal, then there are my mtx's that had about 3 1/2 inches of air space and were boiling hot on several occasions.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2005
    I had my Alpine cd changer under the passenger's seat, and my Alpine processor under my seat for years without any issues. This is also with kids, and going up to the mountains when it snowed, and the beach in the summer. I did dig out an old french fry out of the changer once, but no problems from it. It was in the door slot of the changer :).

I thought about moving my amps under my seats now since I no longer have the processor or changer. This will free up some more space in my trunk and most definately protect my amps more than in the trunk. Another benefit for me would be the A/C ducts come out under the seats, chill those bad boys when it gets hot. Still thinking about it. I feel kind of lazy now.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin