Need tunes for a Toyota

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
First post here in the car audio section.
Bought my daughter, who turns 16 in January, a 1993 Toyota Paseo yesterday.
The tunes in it suck, some after market crap from Wall-Mart.

Car has 2 speakers in the lower front door panels (1 Ea.), and two in the rear deck.

I would like to keep the bass in the rear and mids/highs up front.

I’m not sure what size the speakers are in the door, but would like to replace them with some Polk’s.
I’m not real interested in putting a massive box in the trunk, was thinking about maybe an amplified bass tube to simplify things.

Would like to run the mids/highs off deck power, need recommendation on a decent tuner/cd player also.

I’ve been out of car audio for over 15 years, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

G
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
Post edited by gwh on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Right direction? With running speakers off the HU and using a bass tube for the low end? Sorry, but you'll never get anywhere that way.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    way to be helpful :rolleyes:

g - kenwood has an okay powered box; polk has a great new dual-sub ported box; or, you can use an Image Dynamics IDQ subwoofer in an absolutely tiny sealed enclosure, throw a good class-D amp on it, and enjoy... as far as specific recs go, we need a budget to give you good ideas...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    while our blissful audio friend may be a little over-killer here, let's get you started out...

ok - your toyota has got 4" in front - 7" in back...

Polk DB400 up front 4"
    Polk DB675 for the back 6 3/4 - 7"

headunit ? - well the dash kit you'll need depends on whether you have that pocket below your factory radio or not - but a dash kit is 10 - 15 bucks, so don't sweat that... the deck, well I think the Kenwood KDC-4028 would be a good choice - 3 sets of 4 volt preouts, plays mp3's and wma's and all that - can be hooked up to an I-pod with an optional input adaptor, and its only about 180 bucks.

Now - for about 400 bucks, you can stop there.

Put 500 uF (microfarad) [15 volt AC tolerance or higher] capacitors in line with the positive lead to each speaker (these are like a dollar or two each at radio shack, just look in the parts bin - don't go spending 30 dollars at circuit-**** for the same thing), and call it a day.

you'll have a nice little system for your kid - damn nice to start out with at 16 i'd say.

now, if you want to do a little more...

you can get a 12" Polk DB124 sub - with a 1.5 cubic foot ported enclosure -that'll coset you about $150

Add in the amplifiers and power wire and all that jazz and you're up to about $950 bucks.

all the speakers would be amped- nothing running off the head - premium cables... she'd have the best system her or her friends had ever heard. :)

see the attached microsoft word file - i've put together a little "wish list" thing for you - it has all that i've talked about above, as well as the amplifiers (Hifonics because they're cheap and they're good for your application - durable) and everything else you'd need (except the dash kit).

PS _ by the way, don't waste your money on "powered subwoofers" - they're garbage. if the amplifier breaks you have to throw the whole thing out - and they usually cost an arm and a leg. also - those bazooka tubes are the joke of the audio industry. i've spent my life trying to think of newer and better ways to make fun of them. they sound and look like garbage. don't take this the wrong way but your daughter would get mocked out for a bazooka tube. a little 10 or 12 with a small sealed box and a 200 w amp would be better than a bazooka tube - although personally im partial to that polk DB124 with the slot port - Thom, one of the polk installers, did crazy numbers with two DB124's and a polk-pre-fab dual slot box.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    Sorry if I came across as a bit of a jerk - was not my intent. I was just short on time, and I really know nothing about a system without amps. Running speakers off the HU? I'm just not familiar with that, as it's a lot better to use an amp.

However, it looks like PBD has you all fixed up there. Should be a nice system, wich ever way you go!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    I second Vinny's recommendation. The DB's are excellent speakers and even off deck power theyll sound very good. That head unit looks to be a good one too.

I also agree that powered subs are kinda sucky. For this application tho I think a 12 could be a little much. A DB 8 would work in a box no bigger than a powered sub and sound a lot better. You can pick up a Alpine 2 channel amp bridged at 150x1 for $129 at Circuit City and youre all set.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • gwh
    edited August 2005
    I really appreciate the recommendations here .
    PBD thank you for taking your time to put that together for me.
    Looks like that would be a killer little system.

Audiobliss, No you did not come across as a “jerk”, your probably real passionate about the hobby and want to do things right the first time.

Glad I didn’t order up that bazooka tube and have my kid laughed at, probably would have scarred her for life.

Thanks,

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    just having a bass tube in my truck would scar me for life, even if no one saw it.

If you have a little extra money, you could get a 4 channel and wire the front speakers to it and bridge the rear speakers for the sub
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • gwh
    edited September 2005
    I’m starting to pick up a few items for this Toyota project, I got this Infinity sub amp in the Flea Market section from fireshoes and now I’ve got questions on subwoofer selection.

I’m leaning towards a pair of the MM2084’s (8 inch momo’s)

Two would present a 2ohm load to the amp, right?
    Is this too much amp for the 8’s? (see specs below)
    Also looking at the R/T 326-08 Subwoofer Enclosure from cardomain (sealed Chamber Volume: 0.40 cu. ft. each side) Good choice for the 8’s/amp combo?

Infinity REF1211A
    1200 Watt Class D Subwoofer Amplifier

CEA Rated: Power Output: 854 watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms ,1300 watts RMS x 1 channel at 2 ohms, Dynamic Power: 1516 watts at 2 ohms.

Thanks,

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• exalted512
    edited September 2005
    running them at 2 ohms would smoke those subs quick. You shouldve got a way smaller amp. I would get 2 dvc 4 ohm subs and wire the subs in series and then wire them together parallel to the amp. This will present a 4 ohm load to the amp. Or you could get those two 8s and wire them in series to the amp so itll get an 8 ohm load. Thatll do em good.
    -Cody
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited September 2005
    That amp is insane overkill. I suggest you keep that one for yourself and put it in your car ;)

For a sub, I suggest the image dynamics idq10. It only needs about .55 cu ft for a sealed enclosure.

For an amp, I like cody's suggestion of a 4 channel, then bridging 2 channels for a sub. That will make things sound good and keep it simple. If you want, you can just go with an amp for the sub and run the speakers off of the head unit.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • gwh
    edited September 2005
    You shouldve got a way smaller amp.

Yeah I thought it sounded like a little too much power wise, but the price was one that I could not refuse. (can’t divulge the price paid since the offer was made via PM).

Any advantage in DVC's other than multiple wiring options?

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• gwh
    edited September 2005
    That will make things sound good and keep it simple.

"Keep it simple" that's what I wanted to do (see first post at top) but I'm beginning to get that funny feeling that car audio is just as addicting as home audio, and I think I like it :D .

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

• exalted512
    edited September 2005
    DVCs seem to be able to handle power a little better than their SVC counterparts, but not a really noticeable difference. That and better wiring options is all the advantages
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    exalted512 wrote:
    just having a bass tube in my truck would scar me for life, even if no one saw it.

LMFAO!!!

Priceless!!!

That just made my sig!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D