Can someone explain me how the Alarms works?

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys, can someone explain me how the anti-hijack function works? i really dont understand that

its an ignition relay. i think that i installed it right, but really dont think that its useful...

hope someone can help me :)
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    im not fully understanding what youre asking, but if you unlock the door without the remote, the ignition will not start and your alarm will go off
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    ah, ok, i understand. so is a little useful :D

btw, i have an button in the remote control that activate the anti-hijackin option.... but if i get the car already turn on, dont do anything, i need to use it if i see that someone are inside my car?, i really dont understand how it work, and the manual of the alarm really sux.

thanks for the answer
  • Siegel1719
    Siegel1719 Posts: 28
    edited August 2005
    well its just a starter kill. If the alarm is armend it will not allow the igniton to send the power to the starter to start the car. So if someone was to break in to your car they would eather have to disarm the alarm or hotwire the car since the ignition is of no use with the starter kill.

Hope that helps,
    Jeremy
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    thanks

this is what the manual say

Anti-Hijacking: When driving if robbery happend pres key III for 2" to activate the anti-hijaking mode indicated by lights flashing for 10" then siren chirping for 10". Finally the starter kill and alarm will be fully activated to shut off the engine....

i dont understand that :D

if i have my car running the ignition kill will not work!
    sorry for my dumb questions
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    from what the manual says, holding key three for two seconds will turn the car off, even after it's already been started, which doesn't make much sense - try it, why not...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    well that dont work

i already try it.. and dont turn the car off. im asking for that... i think that it will turn the car off but thats not true
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    It depends on how the relay is wired. They can be normally open or normally closed. Normally open is the better option if security is your only concern, because if the alarm is disabled the ignition wire is apart, and the alarm output is needed to close the path. Normally closed relies on the alarm's output to open the ignition wire but if the alarm is disabled or the trigger wire to the relay is cut, the car will start. Being that most alarms are jammed up under the drivers' side dash, a thief who's willing to spend a minute finding the brain won't be inconvenienced by the normally closed mode. If the relay is normally open, he'll at least have to connect the two sides of the ignition wire, or trigger the relay. So, one more step if he's actually trying to start the car.
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    YOu can arm the Hijack function after you are in the car. I close my doors, start the car, arm the Hijack function. In the case of a car jack, once the jacker opens my door and takes me out, the function activates. The car works normal and the jacker can ride off, after a minute the car shuts down.....
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    That's pretty cool. So the sensor in the car knows 'where' you are so it knows when you're not in the car? How would this work? Signal being sent out by the remote? Which would run down your batteries? Which would be why you can turn the option off?

No, wait. If a car-jacker takes off with your car, your key (and thus remote) is still in the car. Scratch my idea.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2005
    maybe it activated when the signal of the door opened
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    SamSagaZ wrote:
    maybe it activated when the signal of the door opened

Correct, once the door opens, it gets activated. This is an annoyance for sure, if you forget to turn off the hi jack feature. Especially since I had the switch out of the drivers reach, figured that a jacker would be searching under the dash etc. So I had it "hidden" in the car. At first I forgot to disengage it all the time. When I would get out of the car to pump gas etc. Then the car would start chirping, and then the alarm would go off. But now it is just habit to engage, disengage.

Scott

What would really suck is if they crawled through the window....... :eek: then the hi jack feature wouldn't ever be engaged until they opened the door..