replacement tweeters for mmc6500s???

kieron
kieron Posts: 6
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
My car got broken into and the guys took my tweeters from my mmc6500's and the headunit.. the headunit luckily was just a temporary alpine one, but im trying to find an acceptable replacement for the tweeters. i was wondering if the db1000's would be able to handle the 2.6khz crossover that i already have? i know they have a passive crossover built in at like 4khz but i wanna keep this as close to the originial wiring as possible, and keep the full range of frequency response. if these wont work, does anybody have suggestions for some tweeters that will? thanks guys

-rob
Post edited by kieron on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    Call Kim in our customer service dept.- (800) 377- 7655 x208
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Youd be better off getting MMC6500 tweeters directly from Polk. Im not a big fan of mixing and matching.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    id go to partsexpress.com and start looking for new tweeters. polk is going to assrape you for getting just the tweeters.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    But theyll sound a lot better and match up with the mid and crossover.

Polk didnt just pick a tweeter out of the blue and stick it with the MMC system, they design them to work with the mid and crossover.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    ebay them... grab a set of either the tweets you had or even the original momo tweeters, dx tweeters or old db tweeters. all should be CLOSE. it's not going to match up perfect at all unless you get the same ones, but it depends how picky you are.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • kieron
    edited August 2005
    so the general consensus is that i should try to find identical replacements? im not terribly picky about it being exactly the same, and the old mmc tweeters were a bit harsh honestly. i just dont wanna completely overpower my mids and i still would like to know if anyone thinks theyd work with my mmc passive crossover without risking burning the voice coil or something like that.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Polk tweeters do seem loud when you first take em out of the box but with some tweaking they rule.

I had the problem with my MM6's and by bi-amping and fidgitting with them I got them so sound tons better than they would have in the stock configuration.

I still say get a set of new MMC tweeters but its up to you.

As for your question about the db1000's, their frequency response is from 4-23K Hz so you would have a gap from 2600-4000 Hz since your mids are crossed at 2600. you could use these and run your mids full range.

I dont know if it would hurt them running em down to 2600 Hz. My guess is no as thats still to high a frequency to have any bass or other meaty parts that usually are bad for tweeters.

Id recommend giving Polk Customer Service a call and asking them. They will know if itll handle the extra 1400 HZ.

• kieron
    edited August 2005
    Alrighty then, I'll take your advice and give Kim a call at Customer Service and ask about the crossovers. Thanks alot for the advice, and I'll take another look around for some MMC tweets.
  • Thom
    edited August 2005
    I don't know if you're planning on telling your insurance company, to get money for the head unit. If so, my guess is they'd cover the cost of replacement tweeters. Maybe not, but worth a try.

Someone broke into my car last week but I guess the alarm scared them off. An alarm won't stop everyone, but it will save you from the real small- timers...
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Damn! You guys are scaring me!

My truck looks very plain except for the head unit and now the tweeters. I use The Club for all the good it will do but I dont have an alarm yet.

I almost bought one a couple weeks ago but theyre like $200+ now and you cant get them and install em yourself without voiding the warranty so you HAVE to pay the extra $100 for the install. Thats bullcrap!

• Thom
    edited August 2005
    A $200 or $300 alarm (installed) isn't much. You need to get the $500+ two- way, remote start, extra sirens + horn honk, back- up battery, kitchen sink install.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Nah, all I want is door pins, shock sensor, ignition kill and keyless entry (mine doesnt have it). I dont want passive arming or anything fancy like that.

What I realy do want it pain generators! Those were all the rage in the late 80's but I dont even think they make them anymore.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2005
    What are 'pain generators'??
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    you can find them at partsexpress.com but they arent called pain generators

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-067
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=243-235

you can get an alarm with a couple of those installed for about $230 with all the options you want if you have power doors. Just make sure and ask how they prep their alarm, tell them you want all the connections soldered on and all the wires taped, if they dont do that, go to another place. you can have a great alarm, but if you have a **** installation then it aint worth a damn, just like car stereo. Also, give the receipt to your insurance, theyll take a few dollars off your bill
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited August 2005
    btw, pain generators are sirens you put inside your car. they play a high frequency very loud, like 115-130dBs. That might not be loud as far as bass goes, but for high frequencies thats pretty insane. It basically plays at the human's threshold of pain. It'll be so loud they wont be able to take the pain to get into the car...at least thats what theyre supposed to do
    -Cody
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited August 2005
    That is hella cool...

Definetely my next alarm clock
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    That is hella cool...

Definetely my next alarm clock

ROFL

I'm thinking...imagining my alarm system when I get a car worth an alarm system... :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    Actually, Crimestopper does not "void" your warranty if you install it yourself. Warranty still applies in full so long as your purchase from an authorized dealer. I actually do know this from personal experience - ex girlfriend's alarm parking light output died - i ghetto fixed it with some low current trigger relays off the siren output which was ok for a while but after bout a year or so it started to crawl up my skin - so I called them (customer service sucks cuz u get an answering machine and have to leave name / number / problem - then they call u back) and they called me back like 2 days later and wanted to know only if 1) i had a receipt / credit card bill / or cancelled check from the dealer i got it from, 2) the name of the dealer, and 3) whether i had followed the instructions and installed it per the manual or if i did a "custom" job. after telling them the info and that i did it the way in the manual, they were like "ok - u pay shipping to us, we pay shipping back to you" - and i had a unit in about 2 weeks.

Now, I had found an authorized dealer with an Ebay store (not auctions, but a store, like a yahoo store and stuff so that they could sell online as well as from their shop).

It was called "My Push Cart" - I forget what the actual business name was.

I got a 1 way FM transmitter system (CS-2011-RS) with remote start and all the goodies for $100.

I also got a CS-2006FM (older model) with 2 way FM transmitter and receiver - the keychain thing has a screen on it so when it gets shocked it shows me a little hammer and beeps... when a door or hood is opened, it shows me the door of the animated car opening and beeps louder and with a different tone. it also does remote start and all that ****. Cost was $150.

got a couple of the basic plain jane deals with just a regular remote and just the siren for hood and doors and whatever - no remote start or nothin - but it does have starter kill - those were $35 ... one for the caddy - one for my 88... in the 88 i was a dick though - the ignition under the hood is the most simple thing to hotwire, so instead of starter kill, i have "fuel pump kill" - power line to the fuel pump is split by the relay if the thing goes off... and since all the wires are brown behind the dash, you'd have no idea what in the hell was going on... guy would only get about 100 feet with the truck and then the carburetor bowl would be empty and he'd be screwed.

add about 20 bucks for miscellaneous wire, some butt connectors or preferably solder, wire ties, and a couple relays for door tiggers / dome light / remote start / starter kill / etc etc etc... (radio shack or preferably www.digikey.com for MUCH better prices).

Audiovox also makes a nice alarm that can be bought online for affordable prices. They're a little more money, but the higher end audiovox stuff (have no experience with the cheap stuff, probably junk) is actually really really nice... as good as a Viper or a Crimestopper.

I like just Crimestopper because they're usually easy on the wiring and programming and such. Wiring doesn't differ much between brands, but the "options" of wiring do - like some have inputs for both + and - door triggers, where some don't and that kinda stuff.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2005
    I also got a CS-2006FM (older model) with 2 way FM transmitter and receiver - the keychain thing has a screen on it so when it gets shocked it shows me a little hammer and beeps... when a door or hood is opened, it shows me the door of the animated car opening and beeps louder and with a different tone. it also does remote start and all that ****. Cost was $150.

Now that's what I want. I'd love a remote like that!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]