Clean up methods

Options
BMc
BMc Posts: 34
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I recently looked at some SDA SRS 1.2TL's that have been stored in a garage too long. The midrange drivers did not look clean, black, and shiny as they should.

Can the cones be cleaned and get a new lacquer finish?
Sony KF-50WE610 LCD Projection TV
Dish 411 HD satellite receiver
Arcam AVR 300 Receiver
NAD 502 CD Player
Toshiba DVD SD-3800
front: Polk 3.1TL w/ RD0198-1 tweeter
center: Polk CS350-LS
surrounds: Polk Monitor 7C
channels 6 + 7 set to biamp front
Post edited by BMc on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Someone said you can spray windex on a cloth and wipe the cones gently ( I think you're supposed to not touch the dustcap though), but I'm not certain on this method and have never done it myself.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Screw how the drivers look, do they sound good? If so, you can clean them with Windex, sprayed on a soft cotton cloth, wipe in a circlular motion. They will clean up some, but don't expect a smooth, bright and shiney surface if they are really dirty. Don't worry about the dustcap, the Windex won't hurt it. DO NOT apply lacquer to the cones. If you end up not buying them, post the sellers info on the forum because someone here will buy them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Options
    What state do you er, I mean the 1.2s live in???
  • BMc
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I bought their Ft Worth, TX SDA SRS 3.1TL's a couple of weeks ago. Had to repalce their two blown tweeters, but they sound great.

I just found out their 1.2's have 2 hours left on Ebay! :eek:
    Arcam AVR 300 Receiver
    NAD 502 CD Player
    Toshiba DVD SD-3800
  • BMc
    edited August 2005
    Options
    No need to worry about cleaning up those SRS 1.2TL's. Reserve not met - $2275.

Now I'll work on getting a decent amp for the 3.1TL's they sold me.
    Arcam AVR 300 Receiver
    NAD 502 CD Player
    Toshiba DVD SD-3800
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    i find those interesting looking.. the driver array is so much different than other SDA's. the tweeter in the middle seems odd. i'm sure there is a good reason for that..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Those look great! They share some similarities with the RTA 15.
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I used oxyclean on my SDA 2's. I mixed a little oxyclean in some water, wet a paper towel and gentely scrubed the woofers. They are perfectly bright and shiney now.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 393
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I have wondered about the dome. The drivers in the 1.2TLs I got from a friend are clean, but the (geometry don't fail me now) circumference of the center dome has what looks like a kind of mold/mildew (so not up on the difference of two of them unless it's on bread). I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is just the glue used showing up from the age, or if they were in an environment with high humidity. Since they sound as good as the day I helped him get them home and hook them up, I'm not too worried. Still, when I want to impress, I hope no one gets close enough to see it. I don't have a close up pic, but will take one if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Oh yeah...Got them and two NAD 2400 amps for $1500. Thank God his wife wanted them to go (too big) and she remembered his promise to me when he first got them (if he ever were to sell them, I'd get first chance). Seeing what the 1.2TLs are selling for now without the amps to drive them, I got one hell of a deal. I love them so much that when I die, I want them to be installed at my grave site and playing 24hr Zeppelin, Sabbath, Boston, etc. If anyone around me has an issue, someone needs to remind them they are dead and if they still don't get it....turn up the music! I'm a Polk listener til the end. Got them in my home and car (one day at my place of rest). Hahaha!
    HT.jpg 78.7K
    Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
  • pmlewis
    pmlewis Posts: 100
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Tugboat,

Dig the Big Track up in the upper left cabinet. I remember when I got mine for Christmas I did a full out assault on the manger. Needless to say my parenets were not impressed. I still think I have it in basement somewhere, but one of the bars that holds the wheels on is broken. The dog finally got pissed off enough and fought back one day.
  • tugboat
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Didn't even notice the Big Trak in the pic. Guess I've had it so long I pass it over. Hahaha. I've had that since I was a kid and it still works. Got the transport as well. That's just the start of what I have. I'm not quite old enough to have to buy a corvette to offset my mid-life crissis, but when it comes to reliving my childhood, I'm set. Got the big trak, starbird, starbird avenger, tin can alley, oddysey 2 game console, etc. That's just the very short list. Got so much more. I'll never be the type to get old and be found in my house cluttered with news papers, but they will have to manuver around my collection of 70s toys and 80s on computers. Hahaha!

• BMc
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I see the RTA15's also have that odd looking plastic tab above the tweeter like my 3.1TL's. Customer service sent me RD0198-1 replacement tweeters in 3 days.

The sound stage was missing when I first placed them on the bookshelf. They sound better on the floor. I need to move the TV.

To make them work I used SL2000 tweeters from my Monitor 7c's until the replacements arrived from Polk.
    Arcam AVR 300 Receiver
    NAD 502 CD Player
    Toshiba DVD SD-3800
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Is that a lionel on top?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • tugboat
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Well the size is too big for either HO, N or Z gauge. It has to be either Lionel or MTH. Good to see I'm not the only one to accent their HT with things not considered in shows about decorating. Hahaha. The Big Trak was noticed, but were the light cycles from the movie TRON noticed? Resolution of the pic is too low to see the Dukes of Hazzard watch or Battlestar Galactica lunch box. I'm such a geek, I know! :)

• tugboat
    edited August 2005
    Options
    BMc -

Is that an NAD 7240 you got there? I had a 7400 years ago. I find it hard to sell/part with something that has worked its way into my life, so I still own it. It's just on loan to a friend. Seems he needed a unit with a phono plug and his new Sony 5.1 unit didn't. He was hessitant to give up the new, supposedly better, Sony for a unit over 10 years old. Well once it was hooked up and he heard it, he put the Sony in the closet. Since he doesn't have an HT setup, he won't miss the extra channels. I hope I don't have to bring backup with me if the day comes to get it back! Hahaha!

• BMc
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'ts a large Lionel gauge. The original blown SL3000 are also shown.
    Arcam AVR 300 Receiver
    NAD 502 CD Player
    Toshiba DVD SD-3800
  • tugboat
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hey, just realized I've been confusing those replying. Sorry about that. I've been working and up for almost 24 hrs now.

I'm sure the posts can be figured out. :)

• F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The white residue on the dust cap is from the glue. Gently clean them with Windex and a soft cotton cloth.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BMc
    edited August 2005
    Options
    That's a NAD 7140 receiver I bought in 85' with the 7c's.
    Arcam AVR 300 Receiver
    NAD 502 CD Player
    Toshiba DVD SD-3800
  • tugboat
    edited August 2005
    Options
    F1nut -

I'm attaching a pic of one of the worst drivers. I haven't tried to clean them as I'm not sure it will work and it doesn't seem to affect the sound.

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I cleaned my drivers with a water and vinegar solution and they came out just fine and even got the tackiness(sticky) back.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Tugboat,

Yep, that's the stuff and Windex is the answer.

President of Club Polk

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,727
    edited August 2005
    Options
    F1nut,

Is it safe to use windex on the surrounds? Does it attack or dry out the butyl rubber? That's really all that needs cleaning on my SDA's.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly safe and it will remove the brown oxidation on the rubber.

President of Club Polk