A funbag thread.....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
got your attention, eh??

Dean,

You have sullied the name of the patron saint of all that is good and holy??? You should be cast in to a place with nothing but Aiwa and Jensen audio products.....

Lighten up fellas, it may not have been the funniest gag in the world but c'mon.......

Let's quit the personal attacks and gear bashing. It's getting pretty tedious and if you will notice there are a few folks that aren't hanging around as much because of it.

When was the last time we had a good funbag thread?

Better yet, someone tell me why, unless you had a turntable, why you would NOT want a passive preamp??

Troy
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Ah, good **** question.

Now someone answer it before I get really angry!

And post some pics, too. You know.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
  • TroyD
    edited April 2002
    Options
    props to Micah, excellent words of wisdom........all picking aside, Micah is one of the more intelligent dudes around. Pay attention, stick around and if your not careful you might learn something. (a little Bill Cosby/Fat Albert reference)

Troy

seriously though, why aren't passive preamps more popular??
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm not really all that smart. I just play one on teevee.

Who's the chickie?

Oh, yeah, and why aren't passive preamps more popular?

:D

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Oh that is cruel, Here I am sulking that I am in to much pain to have sex and Juice has to realy make me feel worse....Well done man,, SHE IS PURE HONEY........Fabian :D :cool: :cool: :D
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    Options
    nudecasta16c.jpg

another one for ya micah, just for being a great guy! i figure i owe you at least this, for as many times i ragged on you for no apparent reason, other than the pure pleasure of it... :D
  • TroyD
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ...none of you dumbasses, knows? (R. Lee Ermy...Full Metal Jacket))

that chick would require an active input.

Troy
  • TroyD
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ***** bump ******

c'mon guys, put your thinking caps on.

Troy
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I cant take it anymore, god these gorgoesl chicks,,,,,,oh ****.......Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Actually, they are pretty popular.

Creek Audio uses them exclusively in their better stuff.

The following thread from you know where addresses the subject in some detail.

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000956.html

Based on the information out of the thread, coupled with the fact I didn't have my Sonic Frontiers Line 1 yet -- I began running my AE-25 tubey with just the passive volume control on the front of the amp -- just running CD direct. When the preamp showed up, I didn't hook it up -- mostly because I was just listening to music and didn't need it.

About a week later I decided to rent some DVD's and needed to use the Marantz. So I threw the preamp in, and wired everything up.

I was surprised at the difference in dynamics and richness.

I finally e-mailed Kirk from Cary Audio to find out more about the volume control on the front of the amp, and wanted to know what his opinion was regarding using it direct, versus with a preamp.

Below is the correspondence:

Kirk,

I have just purchased a Super Amp off of AudiogoN and mine comes outfitted with a volume control knob. I was just wondering if the volume control is part of a 'passive' circuit or if it is 'buffered' like a preamp?

I would actually prefer to run the amp with only a CD player connected to it -- unless you feel a better sound would be achieved using a preamp in the loop. What do you think?

I'm also curious if you have an opinion about upgrading the tubes from the factory issues. Any real benefit here? I have often wondered if the difference in tubes is grossly overstated. Since you guys built this thing -- I was also wondering what you thought about that.

Thanks,
    Dean,

Dean, the volume control is passive. It is simply between the input rca and the input tube. It can be a great way to use an amp like this. Some preamps add dynamics, but also colorations of the sound. It will be a matter of personal taste as to what you find more pleasing. We make and sell lots of preamps and have developed them over the years to be more transparent and have better detail.

All tubes will give somewhat of a different "flavor". Ususally the better tube will be cleaner sounding and sometimes last longer. You have to try different tubes to get the feel of what you like.
    I hope this has helped. Let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
    Kirk

I finally decided I liked the sound with the preamp better. What Kirk calls 'colored', I call 'sounds right'. It was definitely warmer and punchier.

As with most things with the damnable hobby -- I think it's system dependant.
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    elizabeth_taylor1b.jpg

taylor23.jpg

liznew8.jpg

taylor1.jpg

audrey08.jpg

cleopatracover.jpg
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    boy they dont make them like they us to
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Sorry, but what is a funbag thread? I have never heard of that anywhere? But keep posting pics of those hot girls. One of them looks like Milla Jokivich (wow that is way off :D). Just why don't we keep the age of the girls below 25, not any of those old pics (they could be your mother! :eek: )
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Juice21, nice pics. I'm sold on polk now! (does she come in the box?)
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    troy said "fun bags" not blue hair,sagging old frekin broades!!
    come on know read the thread!

scott:cool:
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD

Better yet, someone tell me why, unless you had a turntable, why you would NOT want a passive preamp??

Here's four off the top of my head:

1. Impedance matching between source and amp. Some amps are harder to drive than others.

2. Driving longer interconnects. Some of us believe in the "Long IC, short speaker cable" rule of thumb...

2a. Driving two sets of IC's for biamping...that's starting to demand a lot from an output stage of a CDP.

3. You need more than unity gain even with a CDP - there are times when I turn my preamp above unity. Granted, it's pretty effin' loud, but there's times...

4. This might be determined by 1-3, but: dynamics, and sound quality. Subjectively, quite a few think that dynamics are just missing with a passive pre. I'd probably place this one at the top of the list when making a decision. After all, it's your ears you gotta please.
  • TroyD
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I KNEW that you guys could come up with some good info......

Elizabeth Taylor is an OLD SCHOOL hottie. As far as being under 25, especially as I get older, I will take experience over youth almost every day of the week and twice on Sunday....

As far as the passive preamp goes....here is my take, I see what rlw is saying and those are good points. My thought is that generally, simpler is better. The less electricity you add to the equation, theoretically, the less chance for unwanted, extraneous noise. I like the idea of less added coloration. To me the less **** you add, the closer you should get to what the recording is supposed to sound like, all things being equal.

Anyway, as soon as I get my passive preamp hooked up, I'll give you all my thoughts....

Troy
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by lax01
    Sorry, but what is a funbag thread?

funbags: (.) (.)

didn't want to get too graphic...:D
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by matthew_2
    Juice21, nice pics. I'm sold on polk now! (does she come in the box?)

laetitiacasta_017348.jpg

not in the box, with the box... :p
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Well...before she started taking enough pills and alcohol to kill a whale -- for the most part she had no equal. Maybe Kim Novak.

It'll be interesting to see how these new anorexic 'hotties' look in 40 years.

These were 'women' --
    Dean

• dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ...this any better?

well, i tried to attach an image -- ??
    Dean

• johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Micah, that's Latetia Casta. She's one sexy looking woman if I do say so myself....and I don't think she's one of these anorexic girls either...she's a victoria secret model :D
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    Options
    yeah, she models for VS as well as about 20 other brands. she has a very healthy, real world beauty to her...

very intriuging...
  • TroyD
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ....a couple of others, Rita Hayworth, Barbara Stanwyck both world class hotties.

Troy
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Options
    she really has some nice 'loft' in that second picture :D
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    well...that's better.

Now this babe is definitely 'old school'. No makeup, and she's wearing sweats! Jeesh -- what's up with that?
    Dean

• dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    test
    Dean

• The Old Gaffer
    The Old Gaffer Posts: 35
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I am not surprised that Dean posted Old Liz.
    She choked on something as small as a chicken bone, but she should be able to take all of Dean! ( just giving you a hard time!):D javascript:smilie(':D')
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    My personal alltime favorite is Audrey Hepburn. If you haven't, watch Roman Holiday. Great movie starring a sexy chick that can act.

Personal thoughts on passive pre-amps: I've wondered this too. Whay aren't passives more popular. While I understand the need for impedence equality, it's still just A SWITCH. I don't think an A/B/C switch and a potentiometer would make for an AUDIOPHILE grade preamp, but what's missing? Help me get my learn on.
    Make it Funky! :)
This discussion has been closed.