Amperex 7308 OMG!

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited September 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I received my orange globe Ampex 7308 from Faster100 (thanks so much) on Fri and I've been listening since then. The tube was flawless. Perfect condition and lettering. It's made in USA.

This is by far the BEST tube I've listened to in my GTA pre amp. It does everything right and the bass is insane. Now I have a few questions.

1. Where would this particular tube be in the Ampex food chain? I hear the Bugle Boys are the best.

2. Is it true that 7308's are selected 6922?

3. Is it normal for one triode section to have higher noise than the other? I get more noise out of the left side than right. I have to put my ear up to the tweeter to hear it.

4. Faster also sent me a JAN Sylvania 6DJ8. This looks identical to my JAN Philips 6922. Are they the same tube? Both have green lettering.

I'm having so much fun rolling tubes for this pre because it only needs one tube. Here's my list of my favorite 6DJ6/6922/7308.

1. Amperex 7308 orange globe
2. JJ 6922
3. EH 6922
4. JAN Philips 6922
5. Mullard 6DJ8 tied with GE 6DJ8

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I really like the 7308s that Faster sent with the Dodd, also. You're right about the bass, but what got me was the layering of the instruments. You know the depth in the soundstage was out of this world. With that said, though its almost a toss up between these and the Amperex Bugle Boys 6dj8s from Holland. They just do everything just right for me. The 7308 have them in the bass dept, but the BBs have it all over the 7308 in the details.

BTW you have a PM
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hey that's great Maurice, enjoy the tube.... I said they sounded great and that one was a real looker :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I have a matched pair of 6DJ8 Groove Tubes, nib, on the way. Does anyone have any experience with Groove Tubes?
  • faster100
    edited August 2005
    Options
    LOL YUP, had a pair of 12ax7 groove tube mullard remakes... great tube!!
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Noel,
    I haven't heard the BB 6DJ8 but so far I feel like 6922 and 7308's have a more dynamic sound while the 6DJ8 are more relaxed colored (in a good way). I couldn't believe the soundstage, mids and especially bass when I first heard it. Incredible!

As you already know, Groove Tubes produce very few tubes on their own and almost all the tubes they sell are re-labeled Russians or Chinese. There's a chance that the 6DJ8 you ordered is a relabeled Ei 6DJ8. From what I know, Ei is the only company producing 6DJ8's today. Can you give me a link to where you found your tube? I can't seem to find it on their site.

Faster,
    It's going to be a while before I enjoy this amazing tube again. My GTA pre amp is very ill right now :( . Don't know what happened but it's going out for repair and maybe some upgrades within the next few weeks. I'm using pure solid state right now :eek: . NAD pre and amplifier.

My techie told me that my ASL AQ2004 pre amp should be ready tomorrow. That little thing broke down last year and I brought it in about a month ago. Can't wait to get her back. Gonna roll some X and U7's. I'm really excited about trying out the Tung Sol X7 re-issue from New Sensor. I purchased a set of JJ and brought that along to the tech. I remember those JJ being very dynamic.

Maurice
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Maurice,
    Maybe it's just me or my other tubes, 6922 Yugos & 6922 Jan Philips, aren't broke in all the way yet, but the BBs just rock my world. I do think that once I have a nice matched pair of the 7308s that they will give the BBs a run for their money. The 7308s seem to have a mite better bass extension, but a little looser than the BB 6DJ8s, but the BBs have more clarity and definition on the highs and mids, IMO. We'll see. I'll get you the info on the Groove Tubes, asap.
  • faster100
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Noel, what till ya get the sda 1's and see what ya like then... sda 2's are nice but these are totally different IMO
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Options
    faster100 wrote:
    Noel, what till ya get the sda 1's and see what ya like then... sda 2's are nice but these are totally different IMO

Oh , I'm sure of that. I would think that with twice as many drivers and tweeters, that the mids and highs will get even more vivid, not to mention the bass. I'm sure that I will have to rethink everything when it comes to the tubes.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I got the 6DJ8 Groove Tubes yesterday. After letting them warm up for over 30 minutes, I put them to the test with some familiar music and I was very happy. They sound very good for being brand new and all. They are very similar in sound to the BBs, but not quite as detailed on the highs and mids, but as bassy as the 7308s I have. I would think that the GT's highs and mids will get better with burn-in, right?? I highly recommend them and they weren't that pricey either, a nib pair for $19.50 shipped. I'll get the addy for anyone that is interested. I left it at home, so I can give the info out tommorrow.