to dean/klipschead

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I've been reading the posts here for awhile and decided to check out the klipsch website to see what's so good about their speakers. I must say I'm very impressed with the reference series and I am thinking of upgrading my RT800i with either the RF3ii or RB5ii. Source is a NAD C541 cd player and an Onkyo TXDS 575. Which of these speakers do you recommend. They retail for almost the same price. I listen to black metal, doom metal, symphonic metal, operatic metal and goth metal.

thanx

organ

forgot to mention. Each speaker will be approx 7-8ft away from my head(listening position) with my couch a few inches away from back wall. I have a thin, large blanket covering the back wall.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ACK! My ears hurt already!
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ...I wouldn't consider it so much as an 'upgrade' as I would a lateral step. Just something different.

Audition carefully -- like a good beer -- it's an 'aquired' taste.

I will say that we listen to similiar types of music and I think they do great on metal.

No speaker is perfect -- each with it's particular strengths and weaknesses.

Make sure you listen to the LSi stuff before you jump. They are getting great reviews.

As far as the Reference Series stuff goes. I actually prefer the RB5 II. It's a more 'coherent' sound than the RF3 II, and they come in a real wood veneer instead of vinyl. They don't play as low as the RF3 II's, but they do sound better. Bass response is adequate for the 'hard' stuff.

A 'true' upgrade would be the RF5's -- You can probably pick them up for around $1300.

However, RB5 II's and a good sub will rock -- big time.

If you want your cake and eat it too -- upgrade to the Lsi9's and get a set of RB5 II too.

Though not an 'authorized' dealer for either company -- www.brandnamez.com carries both the LSi9 ($630 pair), and the RB5 II ($529 pair). You WILL NOT get the manufacturer's warranty -- only the 1 year warranty through Brandnamez.

I usually don't suggest doing this -- but they seem to have a pretty good reputation, and if the money is tight -- well, it's an alternative.
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I read it. Thanks.

The ACK! was a joke, really. Music/Speakers/Reciever combo sounded like a sure-fire ear-bleeder to me.

Jason

P.S. If I have time this afternoon, I'm going to go listen to the RF-7's. Considering the excess of "Polk vs. Klipsch" threads on here lately, I'm not sure if I'll post back with my opinion or not.:)
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'll post back with my opinion or not.

Oh, come on! Do it!smiley_alien.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    how do you like that NAD c541? i was thinking about purchasing that unit in the (hopefully) not so distant future. i haven't had a chance to hear it paired with 800's, what are your impressions? i would be running it on the 800's temporarily until i could get some LSi9's/kirksaeter's/one of the other bookshelves on my list to demo? any thoughts would be apprciated. it seems like a quality CD player for the price...
  • organ
    edited April 2002
    Options
    dean/klipschead, thanx for the response. I will purchase the speakers in about 3 months, don't know which yet. My list currently has RF3ii, RB5ii, LSi9 and a similar priced Monitor Audio. There is an LSi dealer about 15 mins from my house. I was just wondering if the RB5ii has the same amount of dynamics as the RF3ii. All the RF3ii reviews talk about how fast and dynamic they are and this is what really got me looking into the reference line. Just wondering if you've heard the 800i's and how they compare to the RB5ii in terms of dynamics. I love my 800i's, they are very sweet, I just don't think they're the right speakers for metal. I need something that will harass the listener(Just Like Live! as Klipsch like to call it) How do they do with Onkyo receivers? Not planning on getting tubes for a long time. It's great to hear someone who is serious in audio listen to metal. What are your fav bands? My fav is Cradle of Filth, it's a satanic sin not to listen to them if you enjoy metal. I also love Therion, Tristania, Dimmu Borgir, Theatre of Tragedy, Dark Funeral and the list goes on and on. Many of these bands have amazing production(I know audiophiles find this hard to believe). I'd like to see those little Blose cubes blow up trying to do blast beats found in black metal. This kind of music pushes audio systems to their limits. Therion is band of around 30 people. It's got the band, an orchestra, and the choir all playing at once.

Juice21, I love my C541, it's one of my fav component I own. It takes a few days until it really starts to shine. At first I was a little upset because I didn't hear any improvements, but after about 30 mins to 1 hour the bass really kicked. That's the first improvement I noticed. It has a very solid sound for bass not the loose sound you get by using DVD players as a transport. Then the imaging improved big time. Instrument seperation was much better and treble wasn't harsh at all. It has a very natural sound. It was a pretty big improvement for me. You'll love the HDCD decoding. I borrowed some HDCD's from a friend of mine and they are amazing. You knew it's an HDCD player right? Let us know if you decide to get it. I'm not planning on upgrading my NAD for a long time because it has a coaxial output for an outboard DAC. Hope this helps.

organ
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I don't care for the God-hating dark stuff -- it gives me the willies.

I'm into Satanic sin big time -- I try to follow God the best I can.

Most of the metal I listen to is from the middle to late 70's when it was still underground and had words that meant something and that you could understand.

Early Judas Priest is good. I like some later Metallica. I can handle Stained O.K.

Not necessarily 'metal' but hard driving stuff like Stone Temple Pilots is good as well as Pearl Jam.

At any rate -- RF3 II's do this kind of stuff real well.
    Dean

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    thanks for the reply organ, i will let you know if i end up getting it. it's still a couple months off, i'm just starting to really look into one now. i knew it could decode HDCD encoded discs, i actually own a couple of these myself, but have never heard them played to their potential. thanks again for your thoughts...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I don't know the $ of the above mentioned "upgrades", but if you like horns, there are better than Klipsch out there. At $1500 there's the Edgarhorn Slimline or the Altec Monitor 19. Both GREAT sounding high efficiency spkrs.

I don't know why you'd want to get rid of the 800i(s). High efficiency opens up a whole can of worms that can't be easily answered. They can be as revealing to inferior electronics as electrostatics, but have more punch. What amp/pramp or receiver do you have? Interconnects and spkr cable can make a world of difference with HE compared to more forgiving direct radiators.

Either way, make sure you get the chance to listen to them in-house for atleast a month. Horns are USUALLY liked by Jazz enthusiasts, electro/ribbon by classical, and direct radiating by R&R and eclectic tastes. You may find that even though the Klipsch are a fine spkr in everyother regard, they just don't sound right with your music.

Edit: P.S. Alot of Goth metal is recorded in garages and rental studios. This fact may also be revealed by horns and/or ribbons. HHhhssss!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    yep
    Dean

• organ
    edited April 2002
    Options
    dean/klipschead, I'm sorry if my previous statement offended you. Anyways, I forgot to mention I own the PSW650 so the RB5ii may still be a better choice. I will also audition the LSi series(7 and 9). Again, I apologize for what I said.

gidrah, I own a NAD C541, Onkyo TXDS575, RT800i, CS200 and a pair of RT5's.

"Alot of Goth metal is recorded in garages and rental studios. This fact may also be revealed by horns and/or ribbons. HHhhssss!"

The goth metal I listen to are from Europe. They are very popular there(England, Norway, Sweden, Finland, etc) and none of my goth metal CD's are recorded in garages or rental studios. Whenever I get a new CD, I check the booklet to see where it was recorded and who produced it. I don't think the band Therion(mentioned on previous post) could fit 30+ people (band+orchestra+choir) in a rental studio. Their production is top notch. I own some VHS and DVD's where they showed the recording process and I must say that their studios are as impressive and huge as those used by today's big bands. The DVD even has 5.1DD for the concert. Many of them actually use Monster Cable(listed in the booklet) for recording which shows that they care about sound quality. The Metallica S&M is considered to be a reference disc by many people and I own many CD's that rival the sound quality of S&M. My brother listens to Metallica and I borrowed the CD from him. When the parents are gone, I push my system really, really hard and I never get any hissing. If you were referring to American black/goth metal bands, then yes. I have heard quite a few of them and the bad recordings and and songs really turned me off. That's why I stick to European only. I don't own any American CD's, they're all imported. If goth metal had bad sound quality I wouldn't have even considered paying $1000 Cdn for my 800i's and another 1000 for the PSW650. I would just buy a pair of JBL or Cerwin Vega.

organ
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Organ,

I wasn't offended -- to each his own.

Besides, you gave me chance to give props to God.

It's kewl.
    Dean

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    Options
    organ you should try to get a seperate amp for your onkyo receiver, to run you rt-800i, this will make a differance, your 800 will come alive.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The RF3's are great for he kind of music you like. (all music really)
    I liston to more stuff like Iron Maiden (spelling?) metallica, ect. And lots of other older metal. I also like U2, Dre, and snoop dog!

The RF3's do great. Why don't you like the Polks? I thaught they were to laid back for that music. Mabey you feel the same.

RB5's are more dynamic. I still like RF's more. They sound a little diffrent, but LOVE my music!!!
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    My buddy played me some European Goth and I was quite impressed with the recording. I don't know who it was though. I was pretty schnockerred.

Good luck on your decision.
    Make it Funky! :)