Sub box is done...

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
...12 inches of dB goodness will be going into the truck this afternoon some time. I didn't get pictures of the box carpeted but big deal. We have all seen carpeted boxes before. I have to get pictures of the bare box up. Whenever I get time to do that.

This box BTW, cost me a grand total of 44 dollars to put together. I had some wood laying around and used about $15 worth of a sheet of plywood for it. The glue for the carpet cost me $8, the carpet cost me $17, the terminal cup cost me 4 dollars and the 10 guage wire for the sub was free from a friend at work who used it to wire his home theater. Add the $16 for the speaker grill and $0.18 for nails to hold the box together and grand total is $56.18 for a rock solid, custom box.

I'll finally be able to put the gains back where they should be! WHEEEEEE!!!!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    ?? i didn't get the whole story, i don't think. did you bust your old box? or did you get a new db junior to replace your original db? fill me in dude.

and did you build to spec size or modified? - this is for the lightning right?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    his old db subs blew so he got new old db subs from ebay, not sure why he built another box though. and it is for the lightening
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Thats the great thing about building your own box. A custom fitted box that would normally cost at least $200 for less than $50.

Mine was little more only because I used $35 worth of Dynamat to cover it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    edited August 2005
    It's not a Lightening. It's a Lightning.

The dB104 gave up the ghost after 9 years of dedicated service. The spider split right down the center of one of the concetric ridges. It didn't tear or anything, it's a little frayed and looks like it just plumb wore out.

Anyhoo, there is nothing out there that I could find that was appropriately voiced to the dB components so I started scouring eBay and sucked up every auction I could for dB subs. I got a 12 mailed to me and the **** screwed me over when teh sub arrived broken. I found another auction for a DX with a dB pictured. He said the auction was "for both DX subs, one was just a newer model". Ahh, the blissfully ignorant. Saw my chance and got two working subs for about 70 bucks shipped to my door.

Only problem, couldn't find a 10. Had to get a 12. Well, found two 10's but the butthead in SF wanted way too much for them (almost twice as much as they were new) and refused to ship. So I had to build a box.

The new box for the sub is .8517 cubic inches. Required space is .85 cubic inches. I couldn't get more dead on without using goofy measurments. I really don't think that .0017 cubic inches is going to make that much of a differece. I probably used that up with the silicone sealing the joints inside the box anyway. It's made from 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood and is rock solid. I was complaining about not being able to have it done any time soon when I was mowing the lawn for my parents. So my dad decided to zip the box together with the measurements I gave him. Took him about 20-30 minutes total. It's glued, biscuited and nailed together. It will never come apart. It doesn't leak at all either. It's a tight fit but I had to make a compromise so I'll deal with it. I did manage to get the same Kicker grille in black in a 12 inch size though. The only other draw back is that the only carpeting I could get is a slighly brighter shade of gray so it doesn't match exactly.

Beyond that, I am going to call Polk CS and see if I can't get the spider in the dB10 repaired. It might be expensive but it's totally worth it. There is nothing else wrong with that sub. Oh and hey, if you ride on down to the Polk HQ tour on the 16th of September, you'll get to see the ride. The list of people who want to see it is quite short so there will be most likely no waiting.

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2005
    Lightenings are great! way better than lightning.
    '
    POLK CS! YAY
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Lightnings are awesome. It sucks Ford quit making them.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    Jstas,

you're gonna have me for saying this, but the DX and the baby Momo are about damn on close to the DB. It's not a perfect match, but it would have been close enough IMHO that it would be worth having a brand new sub instead of an old one. But, then your stuff wouldn't all match, and you wouldn't be the only guy I know who has a truly all DB system that rocks.

as far as the spider... i don't know if the newer spiders will fit, but if the new baby momo spiders do - and i know the dx ones do - you can just gank one out of an old unit or busted unit and do it up. it's a lot of disassembly and the speaker will never cosmetically look the same from behind, but it can be done. if polk won't do it, Fred at ID probably will, but it won't be cheap at all - it's a matter of man hours, not part cost - some dude has to spend like 5 hours to do it properly by hand, and that's not cheap. you're looking at probably double what the sub cost new. (just a guess).
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    polk tour on the 16th ?? **perk** anybody wanna see an Audiobahn truck ? lol.

i should probably take the old man's truck... he's all DX'ed out. the caddy is almost back from paint, so I'd say i'd take that, but only the rears are polk because "somebody" *hint hint* didn't make 3 1/2 inch speakaers! grrr...

i wish my 88 ran - i've got an order shipping soon with my gear for that -- momo *cough* momo *cough*. but it wouldn't be built in time anywho.
  • Jstas
    edited August 2005
    WOW! Just got back from the bar and I forgot how much of a difference that sub made especially when I can turn the gains back up to where they should be! Didja ever just want to find a place to drive to just so you had an excuse to listen to all 10 discs in the changer? I could listen to it all night long! I can't wait to have to drive to work in the morning! Maybe I will go out for lunch too just to have a chance to listen to the stereo!

Yeah, I know the DX and MOMO are close but they aren't "it". Besides, the dB12 I have now digs way down to 20 Hz cleanly.

• MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    You should show up Vin and bring the Audiobahn truck, itll be nice to have some variety. Ill be there with the missus in tow. You decided if youre gonna show John?

I also know exactly what youre talking about. You have your system dialed in and youve got a great sounding CD playing and youre almost home and you want to keep on driving.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    well... i decided and emailed Mark, I'm goin... and John's goin too, so you can all hate us both... we'll be the guys in lawn chairs drinking molson **** and yelling at the "purdy ladies".

gonna have to skip a day of school, but do i really look like i care? no.

this leaves me with a dillema though - i now have like 3 weeks to get the truck tuned as good as humanly possible - it took me months to do that with the alpine... gonna ahve to drive around a lot and screw with it till i'm happy... grrrrrrrr...
  • Jstas
    edited August 2005
    well... i decided and emailed Mark, I'm goin... and John's goin too, so you can all hate us both... we'll be the guys in lawn chairs drinking molson **** and yelling at the "purdy ladies".

gonna have to skip a day of school, but do i really look like i care? no.

this leaves me with a dillema though - i now have like 3 weeks to get the truck tuned as good as humanly possible - it took me months to do that with the alpine... gonna ahve to drive around a lot and screw with it till i'm happy... grrrrrrrr...

DUDE! You're gonna have Molson ****?!?!?!?!?! Seriously, bring me some, preferably not on ice so i can take it back with me! I know you can get the REAL Canadian Molson and not the crap we have down here! I'll give cash, honest!

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    omg, all i drink is **** so long as i'm not being "el cheapo man" and instead buy Busch Ice or some other crap that's 4 dollars for a 12 pack of cans.

my alltime preference, and what i make it a point to pound down when circumstances permit, is **** in bottles.

i shall be sure to bring a plentiful supply. you bring the peanuts.

any other requests kiddies?