Phoenix Gold Amps for MMC6500/MMC650 Speakers

rbarbera75
rbarbera75 Posts: 16
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am finally done with installing my speakers. I have the following installed in my RSX:

Polk MOMO MMC6500 (Front)
Polk MOMO MMC650 (Rear)

So we all know the MMC6500 are rated at 125W RMS and the MMC650 are rated at 80W RMS but I really would only like to install a single 4ch amp to power both the front and rear speakers. I am thinking about getting the PHOENIX GOLD XENON X100.4 so that would be 100W RMS x 4. My question I know that 100W will be lower than the recommendations for the MMC6500 but will 100W be to much for the MMC650 to handle?

I have the following sub : Polk MOMO MM104 and I am pretty sure that I will get the PHOENIX GOLD XENON X400.1 400W RMS to power it.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Post edited by rbarbera75 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    Just looked at PG's specs on those amps... both your choices will do fine. the X400.1 is regulated output, so it'll do 400 into 4, 3, 2, or 1 ohm all the same, which is cool for the one sub. And the 100.4 is also fine for your highs. 100 watts is enough... I used to be an advocate of having a ton of extra power, but what I realized is that you blow a lot of speakers that way. Overpowering is fine sometimes, but you really honestly do not need anything more than 100 w per channel for those speakers considering you only have one sub. it'll blend out real nice with the amps you chose and i think you'll be very happy.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    I run two PG amps in my truck. Both are Octane series. The 2-channel goes to the MMC6500s and kicks ****. It's clean as far as I can stand it. The monoblock drives a PG ZX 10" sub. I can highly recommend these amps. The Xenons are the series above mine, so even better. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    Zenon's are the replacements for the Tantrum's I believe (just what i gathered from a few minutes on PG's site). If this is correct, then I fully advocate the Zenons because the Tantrums were excellent amplifiers - EXCELLENT. They were very powerful, very stout, and very reliable. The Octane I was not impressed with at all - I sent two of them back as I was displeased with performance and other things.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    So far so good with me. I've had ZERO issues with my Octanes or any other PG gear from when I was seriously involved in car audio. As with all gear, there are gonna be bad units, and I don't care what brand it is, they all make a lemon now and then.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Actually the Xenon series replaced both the Tantrum AND the Titanium cause they dont make either of them anymore.

I also agree that that amp will work just fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • erobinson
    erobinson Posts: 23
    edited August 2005
    Just looked at PG's specs on those amps... both your choices will do fine. the X400.1 is regulated output, so it'll do 400 into 4, 3, 2, or 1 ohm all the same, which is cool for the one sub. And the 100.4 is also fine for your highs. 100 watts is enough... I used to be an advocate of having a ton of extra power, but what I realized is that you blow a lot of speakers that way. Overpowering is fine sometimes, but you really honestly do not need anything more than 100 w per channel for those speakers considering you only have one sub. it'll blend out real nice with the amps you chose and i think you'll be very happy.
    You'll blow a lot more speakers by underpowering though. I mean, yea, grossly overpowering you will have problems, but it's more likely that underpowering will blow something. That said, 25W under recommended RMS is not a big deal if you set your gains well and don't abuse anything.
    Eclipse CD8053
    Polk MM6
    JL 12w3v2
    Polk C400.4 - Actively bi-amping
    JL 250/1
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Underpowering a speaker wont hurt it at all. You feed 100 watts of pure distortion to a speaker capable of handling 150 watts and itll soak it up all day long.

The danger is that by only using 100 watts, youre more likely to push the amp into clipping which then sends out a clipped signal at over 200 watts and thats when the speaker fries.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Not the danger is that by only using 100 watts, youre more likely to push the amp into clipping which then sends out a clipped signal at over 200 watts and thats when the speaker fries.

Lol - I think that's what ERobinson meant MacLeod the Crime Dog. :)
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I dont get it? :confused:

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    by blowing speakers by underpowring them - he most likely meant that it leaves people "wanting for more" so they turn up the gains and volume into the clipping range and end up sending dirty signal to speakers and killing them.

and don't you remember McGruff the Crime Dog? well now you're MacLeod the Crime Dog.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, I get the whole underpowering thing. I dont get how Im the crime dog. Actually Id forgotten all about those commercials. Used to come on during Saturday morning cartoons. Man I miss those cartoons.

• zgw8
    zgw8 Posts: 78
    edited August 2005
    Why not go with the Polk amps?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    zgw8 wrote:
    Why not go with the Polk amps?

i dunno. personal preference? seems like the guy like phoenix gold. its a good company, so i'm not gonna argue with him.
  • rbarbera75
    rbarbera75 Posts: 16
    edited August 2005
    I would have liked to use the Polk amps but I didnt want to have 3 seperate amps in my car, because I want to try to save some weight, not to mention that I did have 3 amps in my old car and it was a pain to mount all three while still having trunk room.

Here is the update on the install, I have everything installed and the PG amps are great and they look good. In my test sheet, one of my amps that was only rated at 400W actually produced 499W, although I could be reading the handwritting wrong but it sure as heck looks like 499W and not 409W.

Now I just need to play with the crossover settings.

Is it best to use the crossovers in the amps or use the headunit for the crossover?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    i prefer to use the crossovers in the amplifiers and avoid using crossovers in the head units. head units usually have 6 db / octave **** grade crossovers and once in a while pre-out voltage will change (specifically older alpines). amplifiers usually have 18 db or greater per octave crossovers.