Impressions of the New Polk SDA tweeters RDO 198

Options
trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
The box of tweeters just arrived from Polk.
And I'm excited to install these new tweeters and see what all the noise is about.

First visual Impression:

I like the black covers. But the build quality compared to the SL 3000 sucks.
They are lighter in weight, there is no recessing and support around the connectors or screw holes. They're flat instead of raised.
They could have at least included a new foam seal with the tweeters.

So far, I'm not impressed, but ultimately, it's what they sound like that matters.
I'm in a somewhat unique position as I have two pairs of the identical speakers, (SDA 1.2TL's)
I will do a side by side comparison and post my findings.
I realize that it will take a little time before the new tweeters are seasoned.

-Luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Are these the same silk replacement tweeters that replace the SL2000 series of tweeters?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Yeah yeah.......I felt the same way at first. After you listen to them, you won't give a rat's arse what they look like.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Yep,
    They look like an el-cheapo knock off if you look at them closely before installation.

A side by side comparison will not be necessary.

As F1 said...

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,727
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Are these the same silk replacement tweeters that replace the SL2000 series of tweeters?

No, they are different. The SL2000 replacement has the same size magnet, and same wieght as the original SL2000.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Options
    .........As much as I was hoping that I would be picking up all the used SL3000 tweeters becoming available for a song, it's not to be.

The new tweeters are staying.

It may be the hint of hazelnut in the aftertaste, or the heady rush of organic hops, but they conjure images of smiling, large breasted Bavarian women, gently supporting my head as I lie beneath the keg with my hand on the tap.

-Luc