Sirius... is it worth it?

zgw8
zgw8 Posts: 78
edited September 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
As I build my new system, I am considering Sirius radio as an option. Don't know anything about it other than there are a lot of music/news choices and it costs $12.99/month. How is the music quality? Do you have it? Would you do it again?

Since my HU is Sirius ready, all I need is a tuner. There is one that runs thru the Clarion Cenet connection.

Let me know.

zgw8
Post edited by zgw8 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Not worth it to me. I take long trips periodically but my CD collection has always been enough to keep me happy. Ill stick to CD's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • chuck13
    chuck13 Posts: 19
    edited August 2005
    I have had XM since it started. I've moved it thru 3 cars. It's great and saves my CDs. I tend to damage them in the car.
    Chuck13
    Denon AVR 5803
    Rotel RB 1090 for the Polks :D
    Fronts - Polk SDA SRS's w/ new tweeters
    Surrounds - Klipsch RF - 7(4ea)
    Center - Klipsch RC - 7
    Denon DVD 1600
    Energy st-12 woof
    OPPO DVD
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    I have XM and used it a lot in the beginning, but like MacLeod, Sat. Radio has taken the back seat to CD's. CD's just sound a lot better, and I have the option to listen to whatever I want to, when I want to.....the only station I listen to anymore on XM is Watercolors, (jazz)...............and I have forgotten the rest.........

Is it worth it? I would say YES, I can easily piss through 12.99 a month. So I don't worry about it, and just look at it as a fixed expense.....
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    If the audio quality isn't there then I probably won't do it. I have heard that the better your system, the worse sat radio sounds. Any comments?
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    HMMM, it isn't as good as CD, but definitely better than FM Radio....Try it out, if you don't like it cancel. It may just be the ticket for you.......
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    HMMM, it isn't as good as CD, but definitely better than FM Radio....Try it out, if you don't like it cancel. It may just be the ticket for you.......

Except I have to buy the tuner and its $100. I guess I should find a decent installed system and listen to it. I'd rather not buy the tuner if it isn't the best sound quality.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    Go with your gut..............on this one.....
  • bordominc
    bordominc Posts: 6
    edited August 2005
    Buy the tuner, try it out, if you don't like it cancel your service and take the tuner back.
  • zgw8
    edited August 2005
    For those of you that are ho hum on Sirius, what sort of connection did/do you have? I have heard that the FM modulated source isn't that good. I will have a Cenet aux connection which I have heard is pretty close to CD quality. Any input on connectivity?
  • chuck13
    chuck13 Posts: 19
    edited August 2005
    Connectivity is critical. FM modulation is HORRIBLE. Quality of source (tuner) is also important.
    Chuck13
    Denon AVR 5803
    Rotel RB 1090 for the Polks :D
    Fronts - Polk SDA SRS's w/ new tweeters
    Surrounds - Klipsch RF - 7(4ea)
    Center - Klipsch RC - 7
    Denon DVD 1600
    Energy st-12 woof
    OPPO DVD
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited August 2005
    FM modulation is not that good at all. Actually using the cassette adapter is better, if you have a cassette. I have tried both on my XM and then went with the direct connect, got an adapter from Blitzsafe to run directly from my head unit. Much cleaner, but still not as dynamic as CD. It is close though. I would say that it is comparable to some of the older original CD's from the 80's before the remastering came around.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    i had sirius on a direct connection through a kenwood HU and kenwood tuner... i rather liked it, mostly because it had no commercials, and i make long trips on a fairly regular basis, so it was cool not having to search the radio dial every half hour on the highway... i thought the sound quality was just fine, though i was running stock speakers at the time :)... it is indeed much better than radio, even HD radio... a big advantage of it that i didn't... um... take advantage of is the massive selection, that's pretty cool, so when you get bored of metal you can flip over to some jazz or classical...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited August 2005
    I have a question about programming. Everyone knows that your local FM stations play the same 10 songs every 1/2 hour. (Ok, maybe I exaggerate a little) The only time I have heard XM or Sirius, they sounded good. But since I don't listen to them all the time, do they really mix it up pretty good? I have moved around a lot and it seems that everytime you hear a new station, it's like YES, finally some good music. Only to find out in about 6 month that "Boy they play the heck out of this or that." What about requesting songs?
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    sirius does allow requests, though i never seemed to hear mine... they play the same song enough that you hear your favorites every once in a while, but they play stuff you'd NEVER hear on the radio, which is way cool, sometimes you find an underground band that's really good... i got hooked on RA from sirius...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited August 2005
    I've listend to both, XM seemed repetative to me. I have sirius in my truck, got it for my dad for fathers dad, and listen to it at both of my jobs. I love it. If you can go with the direct connection, definatly do that. I have the Pioneer direct tuner. They do play some of the more popular songs a lot, but so does everyone, but not nearly as bad as regualar radio. That might just be me though from listening to it all day at work. I think it's definatly worth the investment.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • dnewhous
    dnewhous Posts: 42
    edited August 2005
    zgw8 wrote:
    I have heard that the better your system, the worse sat radio sounds.

Oh, yeah.
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • dnewhous
    dnewhous Posts: 42
    edited August 2005
    spwuinmk67 wrote:
    I've listend to both, XM seemed repetative to me. I have sirius in my truck, got it for my dad for fathers dad, and listen to it at both of my jobs. I love it.

What form of music do you listen to? The Sirius rock channels are much more repetitive than the XM rock channels. Just go to the forums. You will see Sirius people griping about the narrow playlists and XM people griping about the obscure songs.

I've only listened to Sirius briefly (internet trial) but by listening to XM and using www.itsonsirius.com none of the good bands that I've never heard of before that get played on XM are played on Sirius.

Sirius is still a big step over FM in terms of playlist size. But you need to understand, my head is a voluminous library of 70s and 80s rock bands so its hard to hit me with something I've never heard before.
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited September 2005
    I am going to go with Sirius. Now, any one have any cool ways to hook up a PNP systen in the vehicle (02' Silverado in my case) so that it does not look like crap?

I think I am going with this tuner.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wFvD15qyWKm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=220SIRPNP3&id=morephotos&a=&s=0&cc=01&g=250150#morephotos

and with this car kit.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wFvD15qyWKm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=220SIRCK3&id=morephotos&a=&s=0&cc=01&g=247550#morephotos
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited September 2005
    When Satellite radio is free- then i'll jump.

Not going to pay for something that has mp3 quality at best.

Then again, If you're into Howard Stern...
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited September 2005
    It is not the best thing since sliced bread, but when I drive my wifes car I sure do miss it. I have a panasonic HU and a panasonic sirius reciever that I control with the HU. The sound quality is much better than FM, but not as good as CD's. The biggest difference is no commercials. When I am in my wife's car, the commercials drive me NUTS!

If you have the $100 for the reciever and the $12.95 a month then it is worth it. If you are going to miss the $12.95 a month, then don't get it.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2005
    aaharvel wrote:
    When Satellite radio is free- then i'll jump.

Not going to pay for something that has mp3 quality at best.

x2!

I like the idea of commercial free (for now, you know theyre coming) radio and having an entire station dedicated to 80's hair bands but I need another monthly payment like I need a hole in my head. Still, since we got those nifty Polk XM tuners at Polkfest, I admit I have been thinking of subscribing.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2005
    I've got XM in the car with factory unit (Accord); I think it sounds great, even better than some CD's in the same unit; the most listened channels are 71-Watercolors (sometimes I go down to 70...they have some great jazz there..), a couple of clasical channels (love that for driving), and the latin channels. I used to listen a lot to the 70's, but lately I think they have gone down in quality of music choices....
    When my 14 y/old son rides with me, channel 20 is the one (hits).

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2005
    I have been thinking about going with Sirius with my Pioneer HU. One of the main reasons is football. My son really likes watching and listening to the games. He was actually the one that brought up the Sirius thing because of the football games on it. I am leaning towards getting it for my car. Woud be nice to have another source for music or news.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin