How many of you have PERSONAL Home Systems?

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,529
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Yep, who has em...

What are they...and do you reference your car system off of it?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Yup.

Sony 51 disc changer with 3 way Sony bookshelf speakers w/6.5 mid. Run it thru my Pioneer receiver.

I do use this as my reference for imaging and staging but not so much for SQ as the speakers arent that great. Especially considering Ive got the SR's in my truck so right now my truck sounds better than my HA rig! Once I get a set of RTi4's Ill be doing a lot of listening to evaluate the accuracy of my truck system.

Anyone into car audio should have a quality home audio setup as a reference. You cant realize what youre missing when you dont know youre missing it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    i have my aiwa cd player with dts:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2005
    God help us.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited August 2005
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    God help us.

What do you mean?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited August 2005
    What do you mean?

He is reffering to the "aiwa cd player with dts" comment.

Yes, I have a home stereo.

There is an amplifier, a pre-amp, a cd player/changer and a tuner in it with a pair of speakers too.

No, I don't compare the two because they are completely different environments. Besides, I've said it before, my "car stereo" will rival the sound reproduction quality of many home stereos that I have had the pleasure to enjoy. There are certainly better stereos out there in both the home and car worlds but I think mine is capable of giving any one of them a run for thier money in a head-to-head comparo.

Beyond that, if I wanted a home stereo in my car, I would get a set of bookself speakers and buckle them into the seat belts in the back seat with a power converter and a home reciever strapped down on a center console.

I think I would rather stick with the stuff made for cars and realize that there will never be any real, solid, decent comparison between a home stereo and a car stereo. The environments are just way too different.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    I disagree with ya on this one bro. I believe the different environment is precisely why you need a high quality HA system to reference your car system too.

In a car youve got way too many opportunities for the SQ to be affected. Noise getting into the wiring, interior panels vibrating, glass and other harsh relfective surfaces coloring the sound not to mention road noise. In a home system you dont have to worry about any of these. You stick a set of RTi6's on the shelf and listen to them thru a stout amp or receiver and youll hear exactly what that music is supposed to sound like without any outside interferance or colorization and then youll know what your truck is supposed to sound like. Not to mention you can achieve perfect staging and imaging in a home much easier than in your car.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2005
    RT5000 system ****.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Dont know that one. Looked it up in the older models section but couldnt find it.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    Onkyo 5 channel home theatre receiver with dolby II and dts.

kenwood twin tape deck with dolby b and c noise reduction.

onkyo single cd player (yes they made single cd players - and they were quite good, they often are built much better than 5 disc or 50 disc changers).

onkyo 13 band equalizer

JVC turntable for 45's and 33's

unknown brand - 8 track deck for the classicly old ****.

front stage is radio shack / optimus 140 watt metal case satellites (6.5" woofer / 1" tweeter)

center channel and rears are radio shack / optimus 100 watt metal case satellites (5.25" woofer with 3/4" tweeter).

subwoofer is an mtx 6000 12" 250 watt sub in a 0.75 cubic inch sealed enclosure with a parts express 300 watt plate amp bolted to the back of it in a little carpeted box behind the big chair in the living room. slams in a completly sick and twisted but oh so beautiful manner.

its great for movies, **** on music. i used to have the "B" of the "a" / "b" speaker switch hooked to two towers (12" woofer / 6" mid-woof / horn tweet) for listening to music, but i have since decided that i really dont listen to much music at all in the house.

so i moved the two towers to the garage, mounted them about 4 feet off the ground, bolted to the wall, with a 100 or 120 x 2 Technics stereo receiver (little single cd player thingy that's about the size of a small dvd player plugged into it). Screams and pounds like a son of a **** in the garage. sound quality isn't an issue - it's just for being loud outside and sounding "ok" while you're workin on **** or havin friends over.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2005
    My TV emits awesome sound!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • erobinson
    erobinson Posts: 23
    edited August 2005
    Yea, I definitely reference it to my home system:

Adcom GTP-500 Pre-amp w/phono
    NAD C350BEE Integrated Amp
    NHT SB-3 Bookshelf speakers on 36" stands
    NHT sw10ii 10" subwoofer
    Old Technics turntable w/decent cartridge
    Apple Airtunes

My (msrp) $2000 home system sounds better than my $2300 car stereo system for sure. You just can't compete with the imaging and staging provided by a large room. You can't compete with real speaker boxes, designed specifically for the drivers mounted to them. That said, my car stereo does sound very good to me. Sometimes I feel voices seem to shine a little more in my car. My car certainly does get a LOT louder with 200 watts a channel coming at me from about a meter away compared to the 80 watts on my bookshelves from a few meters away.

While you certainly can compare the two systems, does it really make sense? I know we can't help it, but really, you'll never ever have a better system in a car than you could potentially have in your home.
    Eclipse CD8053
    Polk MM6
    JL 12w3v2
    Polk C400.4 - Actively bi-amping
    JL 250/1
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Dont know that one. Looked it up in the older models section but couldnt find it.

It consists of:
    RT3000p
    CS1000p
    f/x1000

Its from back in the days of Polk powered towers.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    i've got myself brand-new polk R50s, powered by a kenwood reciever, which is fed by an oldish but quite good sony dvd player... i also have a homemade RE8 subwoofer box, building a new box for it this weekend, and if the flea market deal goes through, i'll have a CSi3 in a week... round it out with some old-school canadian PSB alpha bookshelves, and i have me a frankenstein-esque 5.1 channel system...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited August 2005
    New HT Up and running this comming weekend:

Yamaha RX-V2400
    Sony DVD/SACA player
    Proscan Laser Disc :)
    Yamaha LPx-500FP
    Carada 92" screen (16x9)
    Polk RT2000I's front
    Polk CS400i Center
    Polk RT55i's side
    Polk RT25i's rear
    Velodyne CT150 servo sub
    Pure 40 power center
    Dedicated Room with 100% light control- Lutron dimmer.

Thats Just one of my HT's.

Other_>
    Yamaha RX-V675 (XM Ready)
    Panasonic DVD
    Dishnetwork DVR
    Polk RT800i's front (phantom center)
    Polk RT35i's rear
    Toshiba 46" DLP
    DCM dual 12" sub

Living room- 2 channel:
    Yamaha 795a
    Panasonic dvd
    Mits super vhs
    Dish dvr
    Ohm FRS-5's
    Velodyne CHT-8

:)
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    bknauss wrote:
    RT5000 system ****.

But the question was aimed at guys with real systems in their cars. Your home system is your only system. :D
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Thom wrote:
    But the question was aimed at guys with real systems in their cars. Your home system is your only system. :D

Brian's a poser! :p