Basic Questions for Tacoma Install

Kerry
Kerry Posts: 2
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just purchased a set of MMC6500's for my '01 Tacoma extended cab, and am going to be installing them this weekend. So I have a couple of basic questions:

1.) The manual online seems to be a bit unclear about whether I need to wire the tweeter or mid/sub inlet on the crossover. I am temporarily going to be running straight from my Pioneer HU to the speakers. The manual does say that when running from a 2-channel amp to run to the mid/sub input. I'm assuming that the two sets of input terminals are already connected if not bi-amping?

2.) The website also mentions that the installation is not a bolt-up job in my truck. Is there any parts/adapter that I need to order to install the speakers?

3.) Any recommendations on an amp? Also, is it worth purchasing speakers to replace the 6x8 stock speakers behind the front seats? Or should I just run without them?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Kerry on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    i'm not terribly familiar with the 6500 crossover, so i can't answer #1. as far as installation, the easiest thing to do is try it. then you can tell if you need spacers or whatever; calling crutchfield may be another option. on an amp - the prices for these can vary wildly, but for starters, i like the 300.2, because not only is it an excellent piece of equipment, it's also on hardcore sale right now. and rear speakers are a personal choice... i'd reccommend trying them disconnected, and if you like that, cool. adding rear speakers tends to smudge the detail, but can give you a fuller sound.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    1- Right, if youre bi-amping then use both inputs.

Youre going to be underpowering those speakers a great deal with head unit only power. You should really look into getting an amp if youre not already. If youre going to use head unit power youd be better off using the front channels to power the tweeters and the rears to power the mids. This will give you twice the power and better performance.

2- Dont know personally but probably youll need a spacer to overcome the mounting depth. This is easy to get, just run down to Lowes and buy some 1/4" or 1/2" plywood and cut you out a baffle. Nuttin' to it.

3- Dump the rear speakers. In a cab that small, youll never need them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Kerry
    Kerry Posts: 2
    edited August 2005
    Should be getting an amp soon...thanks for the advice.