My first system, I'm trying to DIY

-c400.4
front - db5250
rear - mm6500
-c300.2
2 mm2084
-c500.1
alpine 12" type r dvc

the tweeters seem too loud and the mm6500 aren't as loud as I would have expected. Does the power split evenly between the tweets and mids when using the supplied crossovers, even though the tweets don't need as much?

I have a kenwood 25Wx4 amp sitting around, if I hooked this up to just my tweeters, would this give me more control and send a little more power from the c400.4 to the 6" mids?

I would use the dual input MM crossovers for the tweeters and mids in the front; The db crossovers to just the rear tweeters, and set the rear channel on the c400.4 to "pre-eq" for the rear mids?
Post edited by joshua byrd on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    a different setup - biamp the mmc6500 with the 400.4 using the pre-eq button, and if you like the rear speakers, put them on bridged channels of the kenwood amp. i do have to ask - why the 8s AND the 12?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Also, you kinda got it backwards. Youve got the superior speakers in the back! The DB's x-over doesnt have an attenuator for the tweets but the Momo's do. If youve not already bought your speakers you would be better off with MM5250's in front and DB650's in the rear.

I too am curious about that pair of 8's and a single 12. You going to use the 8's as midbasses I presume?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • joshua byrd
    joshua byrd Posts: 2
    edited August 2005
    well...
    this is my first system, and I'm kinda flyin' blind, but yes, midbass was the idea, I've got the the frequency set to lowpass at 120hz and 70hz highpass filter in-line on the 8"s, and the 12 is set at 100hz lowpass with the bass boost at 40hz and only turned up to 1/4. I thought the eights would punch harder and the 12 would boom more, it seems to have worked, mostly, the 12 hits harder than I expected!

as for the mm6500s being superior, I'm not sure what I did wrong, but they don't sound nearly as good as the dbs, and I can't set the frequency any lower than 120hz (highpass) or they distort, any higher and they sound tinny.

I'm learning, I'm just glad i haven't blown anything up yet!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Dont misunderstand, you didnt do anything wrong, just unconventional. The Momos are a better speaker, once they get broken in and you get them tweaked a little more theyll sound awesome. But if you like the way the DB's sound better then thats all that matters and you can tell me to kiss yo ****! ;)

The main reason to use midbasses is so you can mount them up front to keep your stage up front instead of having the bass all behind you (when was the last time you went to a concert and the bass player stood behind you?). But there is another reason. Normal midrange speakers cant play the 200-80 Hz frequencies with much oomph so at higher volumes the midbass starts to lag behind the rest of the music and sounds thin. Having dedicated midbass speakers keeps this from happening.

Polk speakers seem to really need a break in period to really shine. Give them some time and the mids will really start to fatten up and that should help. But also, out of the box, the tweeters do seem to be awfully bright. The MM6's were ridiculously loud but bi-amp those puppies and they would rival $600 speakers.

My advice is to give them time to break in more and continue tweaking. After a couple weeks check back with us and let us know what you think.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D