edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    :rolleyes:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    ditto... though it would be very cool to know that your car could stand up to the REAL THX specs, rather than the pansy version they came up with for that vehicle... it's like, yeah, i can hit 125 dB from 20-20k Hz, how bout you? oh, you can't? oh, that's too bad...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2005
    I read a review in a Car Audio & Electronics (September 05 issue) about an upper end OEM DVD audio/video system in a Lexux GS. The reviewer gave it good marks. He said it did fall short in the bass department (not enough output), and the midbass drivers delivered good punch, but hit their limits when turned up loud with some hip hop music.

I think for most people who buy this car, it will be more than enough to satisfy them.

When ever I have taken my car to the dealer for service I walk around the lot while I am waiting. I can't stand to just sit in the little waiting area. I alway get a sales person that comes up. They explain the stuff about the car, and then get to the audio. The people would talk about it like it was the greatest thing. They would say "oh, and it is a Bose System", I would just tell them that the car having a Bose System does not mean anything to me as I will be yanking it all out as soon as I got it home. It is pretty funny to see the look on their face when I tell them this. One guy said, "but I thought it was supposed to be a really good system". I told him not as good as mine, not even close :). This was back when I had my Alpine CDA-7949 hooked up to my Alpine PXA-H600 digital phase processor (to date I believe the best SQ setup I've had) with the Ai-Net connection as well as a fiberoptic cable for the processor to take care of the DA convesion. I would tell them that my processor had 4 Burr Brown 20-Bit Sine Magnitude DAC's for the mids and highs, and two of Alpine's Regulated 1-Bit DAC's for the sub channels, as well as all of the other functions it could perform :). I would also tell them what else I had in my system. When I would tell them all of this they did not know how to respond :), besides a blank look on their face and sometimes a wow.

I know the higher end OEM systems have come a long way, but not to a point to satisfy me, and I believe most other individuals on this board.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    very true, they wouldn't quite cut it for us (especially for the price, though i must say i was expecting the above 'THX' system to cost more than a grand)... however, we are very very much not the majority, so they don't care about us :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Compared to standard factory systems, the Bose systems are quite nice. Nissan Frontiers have Rockford Fosgate systems in them with "22 speakers" or some such thing. They dont sound half bad. At least as good as an entry level aftermarket system.

Ya gotta think that 90% of consumers couldnt care less about car audio. I dont understand why. If youre into music at all I dont see how the OEM system could EVER cut it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Compared to standard factory systems, the Bose systems are quite nice.
    Ya gotta think that 90% of consumers couldnt care less about car audio. I dont understand why. If youre into music at all I dont see how the OEM system could EVER cut it.

Ditto - The bose system of yesterday (as in my 90 Nissan Z) was sub par, and warranted a quick yanking out. But I haven't been compelled to pull the system out of my wifes Audi, we did add an amp and a sub, but that was becasue it was laying around from the trade in, not because it didn't sound OK. I think the Lexus GS has the Levinson system in it, (could be wrong) but from what I have read, (taken with a grain of salt), it is supposed to rival, or better a high end aftermarket system. C/D review of audio systems...
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    That is the same system that Car Audio & Electronics reviewed.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • dnewhous
    dnewhous Posts: 42
    edited August 2005
    Well, HD radio means we're going to have surround sound radio now. I guess it's only fitting. :rolleyes:
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    If I have the option of paying extra to get that stuff in my new car, or upgrading to aftermarket. You know darn well what I will be doing. Knock, Knock, Knock..... are the SR6500's ready for their new home :).
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    i still havent seen a stock premium system that is actually worth its money. The price tag is usually high enough where you go to a shop and have them install everything and will be cheaper, sound better, and last longer than the premium system.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    One of the guys at work told me that to get the Sirius upgrade in his new Lexus, the dealer wanted $800 dollars! I looked at him and he just said I know....I know. So I just smiled.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited August 2005
    George Lucas is coming... George Lucas is coming!

Where are the minutemen? Where are the minutemen? Shoot down that big THX logo please!

I am getting SO tired of seeing THX intros/logos... :mad:

(Atleast he hasn't certified Bose equipment)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dnewhous
    dnewhous Posts: 42
    edited August 2005
    The thing is, if you try to put an aftermarket DVD player with motorized display into a CD player slot, there will be a lot of cutting and hacking of your dash. If you get a factory DVD+motorized display, it will be easier to fit an aftermarket replacement. But you will have to pay for a DVD player twice, essentially.

How perfect of a job would a car audio customization place do of putting a DVD player with motorized display in a CD receiver slot?
    Daniel L Newhouse
  • 1996blackmax
    edited August 2005
    Did the dealer tell you that?
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited August 2005
    I think so captain because that sounded like complete BS! :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2005
    dnewhous wrote:
    Well, HD radio means we're going to have surround sound radio now. I guess it's only fitting. :rolleyes:

HD Radio is only 2 channel right now. Although surround is in the works, don't expect it anytime soon.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    motorized face in dash dvd players (flip out screens and such - touch screens, etc) are made to fit in single din cd player slots. so basically, so long as you dont have really big buttons sticking out above the receiver slot, it's no more work than putting in an aftermarket cd player.

if you do have big honkin buttons or AC controls above it, then you can get a "bump out" kit. instead of buying the normal dashboard adaptor mounting thingy, you can get one with a 1" bump out or a 2" bump out. i don't know if they're available for all cars, but i'm sure that metra should make them for cars that would be "problems" -- they started doing that stuff for like pontiac grand prixs and **** that didn't have at least 6 inches in the dash for the radio. personally i usually use Scosche kits because they're like 5 bucks as opposed to 15, and 99% of the time, they're just as strong.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2005
    umm, a in-dash dvd player/radio will fit into any single or double din radio slot that any other aftermarket radio will fit into...i know this because ive done 4 in the past 3 weeks
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it