EQ... any difference?

CrBoy
CrBoy Posts: 580
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an old 5-band Sherwood EQ laying around in my house and my head unit (DEH-P7400MP) doesn't have a fine tunning EQ system, only have a 3-Band Parametric Equalizer that is not very good...

The EQ has front/rear/sub outputs...

I was wodering if the Sherwood EQ will make a big difference... Should I use the Sub Output on the EQ or just run the RCA cables directly to the sub amp an use the EQ only for the mids...?

Sorry for the confusion... any input is welcome
<|>
Post edited by CrBoy on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    is it a parametric eq, or a fixed-band eq? if parametric, you can use it for whatever you like, but if it's fixed, i don't see any reason not to use it full-range... that means running only the front RCA to the eq (unless it has separate inputs), then using its outputs to the amps.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    it is a fixed band EQ...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    i'd use it full-range then, i can't see a reason not to (if you're unhappy with the sound - if you like it, screw the eq)...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    I don't the like the sound as it is right now... that's why I wanted to include the EQ to the mix but I didn't know if it will be a huge difference in SQ... ;)
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Whats your current setup. Maybe some tuning and tweaking can help get you the SQ you like.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    Stock mids (4 of them, 6.5" Delco's) hooked to a Power Acoustick Amp 35 wrms x 4. 2 in door panels, 2 in rear deck.
    Polk Dx12-4 hooked to a 250wrms amp, sealed box
    Pioneer DEH-P7400MP...

Stingers wires (RCAs, power and speaker)

I know stock speakers suck big time... the sound is not clear at all... a lot of tweaking is needed...

thanks...
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    EQ the stock speakers? Does the expression "silk hat on a pig" mean anything to ya?

You really need to invest in some upgrades speakers. You wouldnt have to spend very much. These DB650's would be simple drop in replacements and would work well with your amp and sound about a zillion times better. You wouldnt even need an EQ then. $84 a pop is a great price for the performance youd get.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    I'm with Mac... I wouldn't waste my time EQing stock speakers. No matter what you do, they'll sound like ****. Now you can chrome plate a ****, but at the end of the day, you have a chrome ****.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    you can dump more power on that DX12 - around 350 would be ideal.

and get yourself into some aftermarket speakers dude - even the cheapest pioneer's out there will be a huge improvement over stock.

sound advice - grab some polk DB Junior's on sale and call it a day. don't waste your itme or efforts with an EQ that will do nothing to your stock speakers.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    you're the first person i've ever heard of that's amped stock speakers...

• CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    you're the first person i've ever heard of that's amped stock speakers...

Thanks!!! I feel proud...

We don't have a Polk Dealer here in town, i'd have to buy a pair of... Pioneers I guess... thanks for the input anyways...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    CrBoy wrote:
    Thanks!!! I feel proud...
    you should! :D

pbd's right, anything will help over stock, but also remember that you can shop online...

• CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    I live in Costa Rica so online shoppping is not an option (nodoby delivers...)

My ONLY online shop option is this, their prices are High some times...

All I have around my house is this... maybe I can build my own speakers with sea shells and dead turtles... :D
    -4668-cabo-blanco.jpg

LOL
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    sheeyit, if i lived there i wouldn't be worrying so much about the shipping, i'd be more concerned with the swimsuited women...

• CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    sheeyit, if i lived there i wouldn't be worrying so much about the shipping, i'd be more concerned with the swimsuited women...

No worries about that, we have plenty women in swimsuits walking around everyday... topless some times...
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Well, I live at the buckle of the Bible Belt so we dont even have good titty bars around here.

• CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Well, I live at the buckle of the Bible Belt so we dont even have good titty bars around here.

You should come down here some day... we have lots of "titty bars" waiting for ya! :D
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    The lousy excuse for one we have now, "Diamonds and Lace" has been around for years and was fully nude at one time. Now you cant get within 6' of the stage due to a barrier. You watch the girl dance (topless only with those stupid pasties) then she walks around the floor and asks if you want to tip her. So you wind up tipping every **** that walks buy and spend your money faster.....er......not that I would know.....somebody told me that. :o

• CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    not that I would know.....somebody told me that. :o

I know what you're talking about...

We don't have that kind of restrictions here... FREE **** and more for everybody.... :eek:

Sadly my country has become a huge sex destination... :(
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Whats sad about that?!

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited August 2005
    I hate Equalizers for two reasons.

1. They're an anal retentive's dream come true.
    2. They're an anal retentive's worst nightmare.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Plus they just make it way too easy to mess up the sound.

Actually I dont have too big a problem with them. Just that Im kind of a tweak-a-holik and would be endlessly messing with it.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    wait a minute - u live in a GORGEOUS beach country and you have topless **** running around 24-7 ???? WHY THE HELL AM I NOT THERE??? WHY GOD WHY???? WHY AM I DAMNED TO LIVE IN BUFFALO!
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    LMAO!!! Yeah, but youve got Scores near by dont ya? They have those chicks on Howard Stern all the time.

• CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    Whats sad about that?!

People from all over the world is traveling here only to get laid... too many children involved in the process... THAT'S THE PROBLEM! :mad:

I work in the tourism industry and we always have customers requesting "sex trips"... me no like that!
    <|>
  • CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    wait a minute - u live in a GORGEOUS beach country and you have topless **** running around 24-7 ????

You got that right!!!
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    kids = hell no

sex = where, when, and how much cash do i need to bring?

• CrBoy
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    sex = where, when, and how much cash do i need to bring?

Cash...? nah! A couple of beers and a good hotel will do the trick! ;)
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    WHY THE HELL AM I NOT THERE??? WHY GOD WHY????
    in that case, ^^+1

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    i aint got nothin by me - no "scores" no good **** - just canadian strip clubs, but they got old about 5 years ago... i need some costa rican's broads.