AMP and SUB wiring questions...

iLLz
iLLz Posts: 2
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a Crunch Drive DS-4002 amp and 2 Polk EX12 12" Subs. The subs are 400 watts max with an RMS of 150W. The amp according to (specs I got online) will push 400W x 2 @ 4 Ohms or 200 RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms. I believe I can also brige it to make it MONO @ 800W.

Now my question is, I hear you get more power out of the amp if you hook it up MONO and hook the speakers in parallel. Is this true? How do I do this. Sorry this is all new to me but I am a very smart individual and any advice is greatly apprciated. I want to hook this up the best way and get the best sound but unfortunately this is the equipment i have to work with. I know its not the best so i figrued you great people here could give me a hand in maximizing the performance out of this setup.

Can I bridge this amp which will make it MONO and Wire in parallel? I heard with 2 4-ohm speakers, that will make a 1-ohm load? Is that true? Or will it be a 2-Ohm load which is what I am hoping.

Another question is: Does bridging a 2-CH amp (making it MONO) reduce the impedence to 2-Ohms from 4-Ohms using 4-Ohm speakers?

Another important question i have is: Since I have a 2-CH amp and (2) 4-Ohm subs, if i hook this up one sub per channel (conventional hookup), will the amp run at 4-Ohms or does it change to 8?

What is the best way, and if anyome could give me some background and details i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

iLLz
Post edited by iLLz on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    since your subs are 4 ohm, if you try to parallel them (hook the two +'s together and the two -'s together), you'll dump the amp down to 2 ohms... if you bridge the amp - and throw a 2 ohm load on it - you will fry it, surely.

your amp is supposedly rated at 200 x 2 at 4 ohms. the subs are only 150 w ... so that's perfect.

hook one sub to the LEFT channel... hook the other sub to the RIGHT channel... then you're running in stereo... at 200 watts per sub.

you'll be running at 4 ohms... which is the only way to make your setup work.

the ex subs will get loud on a little bit of power, you dont have to put tons of juice on them.

as far as "making your amp mono" - you can't do it - you would need 8 ohm subs, or "2 subs with dual 4 ohm coils per sub" - which you do not have.

don't listen to some cracker **** nitwit that goes "oh ya - i 'made my amp mono' and now its so phat, ya look at it... ya'..." - i hate the 'wanna be car audio geniuses'.

just run it in stereo (left and right) - hook one sub to each channel, and you will be fine. ex12" subs are "happy" in a 0.88 cubic inch sealed box (easiest to build/buy) but can also be put into ported boxes or other configurations... i think a 0.75 to 1 cubic foot (what you can probably buy in a store) box per sub would be perfect - if the box is just one big chamber (no divider between subs) then it needs to be 1.5 to 2 cubic feet for those 2 subs total.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    ^ +1
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.