Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
As if a Porsche SUV wasn't bad enough!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/07/27/porsche_panamera/index.html

Yep, 4 door Porsche.

What is this world coming to?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited July 2005
    what's wrong with it? I think it looks totally awesome. I mean, I would take one if someone gave it to me...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    i like it...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited July 2005
    The car looks cool, sure. But Porsche is know for making fast **** little cars, not SUV's and coupes. Stick to what your good at and known for.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    something like polk makes good speakers. then they try amps...guess what...theyre bad **** too. just because youre good at one thing doenst mean you cant try something new.. it also says they expect to be selling a lot more of those cars than they are boxsters or 911s which is what theyre known for. Anything thatll boost the economy and open up jobs--i see no problem with
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2005
    Yup... GO PORSCHE!!!!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • spwuinmk67
    edited July 2005
    There's always two ways to look at something. Also every case is going to be different. Porsche makes small, fast, sports cars, great ones at that. That's what they've been known for, for how long? Why not keep to that, just make them better.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by spwuinmk67
    There's always two ways to look at something. Also every case is going to be different. Porsche makes small, fast, sports cars, great ones at that. That's what they've been known for, for how long? Why not keep to that, just make them better.
    Nope only on way to look at it. It's acceptable... acceptable... acceptable.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    i think the thing looks pretty wicked, but it's not coming out for at least five more years, so no biggie... and as long as the quality of their 'real' cars doesn't suffer, it's all good... yeah, you lose a little of the prestige of driving a porsche, but like the jaguar x-type, anyone that knows about cars knows you're not driving a 'real' jaguar, you're driving an economy jag, and the prestige is half the reason you buy one of these cars... so no harm done...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Didn't Ferrari do a 4-door several years ago?

I don't care for these elite car makers catering to the soccer mom SUV crowd, but a nice Saloon is well... nice.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    ...yeah, you lose a little of the prestige of driving a porsche, but like the jaguar x-type, anyone that knows about cars knows you're not driving a 'real' jaguar, you're driving an economy jag, and the prestige is half the reason you buy one of these cars...

Wait, what? That doesn't make any sense. What does the badge on the car say? Porsche? Jaguar? I'm pretty sure that that even though my wife's Taurus shares many of the same mechanicals as a Mercury Sable, it is still a Ford Taurus and not a 'cheap' or 'economy' Mercury.

That has honestly got to be the stupidest post I have ever seen come out of you. An X-type is a Jag just as much as a Porsche Cayenne is a Porsche. So what if larger companies are the financing behind the companies? Jaguar builds the X-type and it is far from economy. Ever been in one? They are about as large as a Taurus or Malibu or Camry. Far from entry level and far from economy.

The Jaguar X-type is based off of the Ford Mondeo chassis. That doesn't mean it is a Ford Mondeo. Virtually nothing transfers between the two cars. The only reason it is based that way is because Ford was able to help Jaguar cut costs and hit the price-point they were looking for by being able to re-use tooling instead of forging all new stuff. The X-type is still all Jaguar. The numbers behind the dollar sign don't mean squat in defining whether a car is "real" or not.

BTW, the Porsche Cayenne has a mechnically identical twin. It's called the Volkswagen Toureg. The only thing they don't share is the engine and body panels.

And for all you people crying about how acceptable or unacceptable a 4 door Porsche is, I was being sarcastic and the post was tongue-in-cheek.

Personally I think it is silly that Porsche is building such vehicles as the Cayenne and whatever this new one will be but I can't stop it. I can't buy them either so I don't really care. But given the projected size of this Porsche, a sports car it will not be, in any sense. What makes it wrong in my eyes? Porsche's heritage as being a driver's car and not a lumpy jelly-bean-mobile for the masses. They have always been a stand-out, seperate from the rest and that was the allure of Porsche. They made solid performers that would wow anyone with sleek, sexy lines and power from the gods. By going the way of pandering to the slobbering masses with SUV's and big 4 door family cars, they are watering down the brand.

You are supposed to be picking up chicks in a Porsche, not the wife and kids.

• neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Personally I think it is silly that Porsche is building such vehicles as the Cayenne and whatever this new one will be but I can't stop it. I can't buy them either so I don't really care. But given the projected size of this Porsche, a sports car it will not be, in any sense. What makes it wrong in my eyes? Porsche's heritage as being a driver's car and not a lumpy jelly-bean-mobile for the masses. They have always been a stand-out, seperate from the rest and that was the allure of Porsche. They made solid performers that would wow anyone with sleek, sexy lines and power from the gods. By going the way of pandering to the slobbering masses with SUV's and big 4 door family cars, they are watering down the brand.

You are supposed to be picking up chicks in a Porsche, not the wife and kids.
    exactly my point :). compare the jag's $71,000 XK to the $32,000 X-type. of course the x-type is still a jaguar, and it benefits from jaguar's knowledge and experience, and is only 'economy' relative to other jags, and blah blah blah... but you don't buy an XK just to get a good car, you buy it because people know that the XK is jag's flagship... my point was that this new 4-door doesn't dilute the prestige of owning an XK because while the 4-door may allow the jaguar name to be more accessible to the masses, those in the know still know that the XK is the flagship...

i think we agree, we're just saying the same thing in different ways...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    I personally see nothing wrong with it...

oh yea - i ran a red light today...
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2005
    I wouldn't worry about hte 4-door or the SUV...Im more woried about how FAT the 911 got. That's why almost any Porsche enthusisast you ask will always quote any RS model as their fave...those have everything. the wide rear end, fat tires, manual tranny, overt but tasteful spoiler. Best to get them in white, blue stripes, and red interior. (sweeeeet..)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    While i really don't give a damn what porsche does, since i really don't like them, and will never own one (a- cuz i can't afford it, and b- cuz if i hit the lottery and could afford it, i'd spend that money on an original Shelby or a couple of Hemi-Cuda's, one for me, one for my mom... i think i'd owe her a Cuda...)

anyway...

back on point... some cars, regardless of badging, are "not" what they're labeled. For example, the Mazda B-Series truck is not Mazda at all. It's 100% Ford Ranger. While some may say "so what, they're sister companies, they work together, blah blah blah" - i dont agree.

The Sable and Taurus are "cool", because Mercury and Ford really, truly, are one in the same company... it's a line within the same company. Mazda is a sister company, not the same company. (side note - i always saw the sable as a spiffier, more trimmed out version of the taurus, just my opinioin though). in the same breath - chrysler sebring, dodge stratus, chrysler concorde, dodge intrepid - it's all good, same company. But toyota camry, chevy malibu ??? me thinx not!

i don't like that ****.

anyhow - it just sucks to see any one car company try to fit EVERY niche. porsche makes luxury SPORTS cars. ford makes modern muscle (lightning, mustang), work savvy trucks with class (f-series, although i loathe them so), and family cars (taurus, now gone, and the 500, etc etc). They don't need to make a "european sport sedan" or a "luxorious crossover vehicle" - but they're sure as hell trying... idiots.

anyway - imma gonna go back to my "living in 1988" and try to figure out this engine with a "distributor" and "carburetor" - while these may seem like foreign terms to most, at one time,they were actually innovations ... and i'll dare any **** "factory trained technician" with pimples on his face to fix one. (taking out my agression at dealers - ignore this last paragraph).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    hey, i've at least messed around with those things, even if i couldn't fix one to save me... so props to you for keeping the knowledge alive...

• denim
    denim Posts: 79
    edited August 2005
    interesting idea, not sure if it is the best for the companies image, but they may need to do it to survive
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2005
    Jstas,

Up your meds dude. :rolleyes:

Every post you've started recently seems to be a rant!
    I'm usually the easiest goin' guy around, but you're even stressing me out with your petty concerns. :D

Cheers,

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Jstas
    edited August 2005
    Jstas,

Up your meds dude. :rolleyes:

Every post you've started recently seems to be a rant!
    I'm usually the easiest goin' guy around, but you're even stressing me out with your petty concerns. :D

Cheers,

DG

It wasn't serious and I don't care if you are stressed out over my posts. Don't like them? DON'T READ THEM!

• spwuinmk67
    edited August 2005
    Jstas wrote:
    Don't like them? DON'T READ THEM!

I agree, but I guess people don't understand that concept.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    No, people dont understand John.

Thats what he does, rant, and we've all come to love him for it. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    can't we all just get along?

... dayum, all u white peeps be fadin me. step off, fo' i cop a gat and drop a cap in yo azz...
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    MacLeod wrote:
    No, people dont understand John.

Thats what he does, rant, and we've all come to love him for it. ;)
    or just put up with it cause he knows enough to make up for the ickiness :)
    ... dayum, all u white peeps be fadin me. step off, fo' i cop a gat and drop a cap in yo azz...
    you're not swerve, quit it...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    what does "swerve" mean?
  • AustinKP
    edited August 2005
    "Swerve" is Adam. He used to be "the official forum idiot" according to his sig, but now, I dont' know what he goes by. Ex CC employee. Characterized by his random and content-free posts.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    jeez, that sounds like an encyclopedia on a rare animal...

"the adamus swervus is a newly-discovered species, and thus is relatively unstudied. known specifications:
    males average 4' 27" tall, females unknown
    ex cc employee
    unknown handle
    a. swervus is characterised by its random and content-free posts"

• AustinKP
    edited August 2005
    that was kinda the idea, but I was lazy

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    jeez, that sounds like an encyclopedia on a rare animal...

"the adamus swervus is a newly-discovered species, and thus is relatively unstudied. known specifications:
    males average 4' 27" tall, females unknown
    ex cc employee
    unknown handle
    a. swervus is characterised by its random and content-free posts"

LMAO!!! Good one Neo! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    i think i remember that guy - ugh... kids these days.

reference the post about the kid with the hacked wire job from best buy's installers. way to go Geek Squad. (yes i know they do computers, but it sounded better than "bb installers").
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited August 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    or just put up with it cause he knows enough to make up for the ickiness :)

Dude...did you just say ickiness ?!! :D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • neomagus00
    edited August 2005
    i think i remember that guy - ugh... kids these days.
    hey now, i'm still one of these days' kids...

and yes, i did indeed say ickiness... i couldn't really think of a better word... he's not nasty or mean (much), but he sure isn't all fluffy and happy...