upgrading in steps

Options
hellohello
hellohello Posts: 428
edited July 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
hello, i was wondering if i could get an opinion on a "starter" 2 ch setup. What I have now is an RCA bookshelf system with a blown left speaker, i was considering getting a set of R15's to replace those speakers for now, with perhaps a new radio/cd player at a later date (when finances permit). So i was just wondering if the R15's could handle Latin music, lots of percussion and a good amount of bass. I dont know much about polk home audio, i do own a set of DB650's for the car, and theyre friggin sweet.
Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
Post edited by hellohello on

Comments

• marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Get a used pair of RT25i in good shape to begin with. Later on a good, small and musical sub like the NHT SW10II or like.

Get a good used intergrated amp and CD player like those from NAD and Cambridge Audio, or a 2 channel stereo receiver like from HK, Denon, Onkyo, etc.

Just some ideas.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Buy "used" gear where feasable. It allows you to get better equipment at lower prices. Just make sure you're buying from reputible sources.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hellohello
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Ok, so basically the best way to go would be to get used, makes sense. Anyone know of any good places online or near Philadelphia PA? I would go to ebay, were it not so evil, lol.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I was thinking Ebay or Audiogon. Ebay is ok, you just have to look at seller feedback, policies, etc., before bidding. Ask for extra pictures of items as well, close-ups.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hellohello
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Are there any other models/brands i should look into?

• marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    If you want some VERY reasonably priced, quality new gear from a ruputable dealer, you could do a lot worse than the C A gear from Audio Advisor or Spearit sound.
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I'm using two r15's with an Onkyo 8211.

This is a fine set up but not for critical listening...I use it for sleepy music/ambient music...if I want to listen to something than I'll go to my R50's...which aren't that great compared to others...but

r15's at fry's for 49 bucks pops up and this is a great deal to get you started for "non critical listening"

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I think the best way to start a system if you are serious about it is to shoot for atleast one piece of gear you know you won't need to upgrade later, and then settle for lesser gear that you know you will upgrade anyway. Like I bought an integrated amp that pretty much emptied my wallet. Then I settled on buying Lsi7's because they are very nice, but alot less expensive the lsi15's which i'd rather have. Now atleast I know I won't have to upgrade my power source again, only my speakers. If I bought a cheaper amp and lsi9's I would have had to upgrade the power source and the speakers to be happy.

Everyone might not agree, but I say blow as much cash on 1 thing as you can just as you still have enough to complete the system to get you by for now.
  • hellohello
    edited July 2005
    Options
    man, this stuff is kinda expensive, i was lookin at the links u guys provided, and the one system is 1,000... very nice, but i have kids who like to listen to music, loud.. (which im thinking is the reason i have to get new speakers) I dont let them use my radio, but u know how kids are.... I dont want to go overboard and spend that much only to have <someone> destroy it, thats why i was lookin at the r15's, only $50 and can handle what the RCA puts out. I want to get a new CD player/amplifier bc this one has trouble with some of my cds, but again, i have two little monsters and a teen... so im a lil paranoid

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Just get yourself one of the many home theater's in a box (HTIB).
    You can pick one up from a reputable manufacturer for $400-500 and everything you'll need is included, except maybe some cables.
    Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, JVC, etc,etc. all have them. I would probably stick with the Onkyo, myself, but go out and demo a few and get one during a sale.

Do you have a Fry's, HH Gregg, or Tweeter in your area?

If you have a Fry's, they have sales on the Onkyo HTIBs weekly.

My reasoning for recommending a HTIB is that he'll get to also replace that RCA at the same time with a semi-decent receiver with, I would have to guess, tons more power. It will suffice for two-channel also. Will it be perfect, of course not, but it'll be better than what he is using at this time. Plus the added HT features to boot. And if the kids were to mess with it, he'd not be out tons of $$$.:)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Another nod from me on going the used route. You'll find that most people who buy decent audio gear, generally, are going to take good care of it as well.

Hang out here. Post, read, read, and keep reading. Get your learn on. Keep your eye on the Flea Market, Audiogon, and your local craiglist.

If I could be in your shoes again I would keep two things in mind. Buy used, but more than you think you'll want, and always leave an upgrade path open.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2005
    Options
    What receiver are you using?

To add to Noel's HTiB list, definitely check out the Tannoy "5.1". We sell them at work and I heard them powered by a Yamaha receiver. Incredible sound for their price/performance. IMO, it's the best micro HTiB for the money. I belive they're on clarance for $500CDN now so it should be cheaper in the US.

Since you asked for a 2ch system, the one's I'd check out are the Polk RT25i, PSB Alpha1(I think), Paradigm Atom and Klipsch RB-15. They're all about the same price. Demo as many speakers as you can and buy the one you like most.

Maurice
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Cambridge Audio link now fixed in other post.
  • hellohello
    edited July 2005
    Options
    thanks for the craigslist suggestion, didnt know that existed. :)