Tweeters Cracking - Mids just fine. Answers?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can anyone take a guess as to what is going on? I just installed a pair of db6750 components in my 99 Toyota Solara. It originally came with the upgraded JBL system, which to my knowledge is at or above 200 watts. The only modification that I didn't make was I negated to install the Polk supplied crossovers. I did this because I didn't want to cut the factory cables which already were independent of each other at each speaker point. My best guess is that there is already a crossover built into the old JBL system.

Anyway, it already had components in the front doors which were loud as hell. I put the db's in their place and instantly noticed the imporved clairty and increased loudness. However, at higher levels the tweeters start to get a bit distorted. The mids and my 6x9's are running just fine in the back and it never used to do this when I had my JBL's in there.

I find it strange that the tweeters are breaking up a bit and the mids are pounding just fine (actually they don't pump as much as they used to, but I guess that's what you get for improved clarity). Everyone knows that it takes much more power to run a mid sized speaker than it does to run a tweeter. So what gives?

These db's have a higher sensitivity and are running (overall) way louder than my old ones. The only thing I can think of is that there may actually be no crossover at all and unecessary bass is causing the tweeters to work overtime. I do notice some improvement when I roll off the bass and turn it up. Any thoughts guys? Is it possible that I need a more powerful amp? Would a pair of bass blockers solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Deacon
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    its because youre about to blow em because youre not using the supplied crossovers. The crossover frequency is probably much higher for the dbs than your stock ones. Why not run both pieces of speaker wire to the input on the polk crossover??
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    I would quickly install the supplied Polk crossover.

I doubt the OEM system had a high pass in line somewhere so you may be running that tweeter full range which will quickly kill it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    how are they being powered? stock amplification? if so, dirty power could be your problem...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    its because youre about to blow em because youre not using the supplied crossovers. The crossover frequency is probably much higher for the dbs than your stock ones. Why not run both pieces of speaker wire to the input on the polk crossover??
    -Cody

Damn. This obviously is not a good thing. I've only been running it like this for a couple of weeks so hopefully they aren't spent. So how can I go about doing this without cutting the stock harnesses off? I'm having a hard time finding an aftermarket harness to connect the OEM tweeter harness to the speaker. I basically had to rig the wires in place.

Do you think the tweeters are ok? Thanks for the replies guys.

-Deacon
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    i would just extend the wires to you can get them both to reach the supplied crossover that came with the polks and put them both to the input, then wire the mids and tweets out of the crossover from there

and if you havent already, disconnect the tweets. midbasses can play highs without trouble, but bass to a tweeter and its gone
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    leave the polk "mid" hooked to the "mid" line from the harness...

hook the polk "tweet" to the polk crossover... hook the polk crossover to the "tweet" line of the JBL harness. you may have to swap phase if it sounds funny, but that's no sweat (switch + and - wires on the speaker if it doesn't sound right - only on the tweet!)

this will increase your crossover slope by either 6, or 12 db's most likely. this will not harm your speakers, but may make the transition from woof to tweet a bit more sharp. but if your stock JBL system is amped AFTER internal crossover, it's probably your only option.

more information would be useful...

-vinnie.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge