Sub for RT800s?

JJTar
JJTar Posts: 1
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Hello,
I have a pair of RT800s and was considering whether or not to get a sub. The PSW250 can be found very cheaply these days, so I was curious if it would make much of a difference (for that matter would any sub make a big difference)? I use the system only for music, not for movies or anything like that.
For reference (if it makes a difference) my receiver is a harman kardon 3270.

Thank you.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited August 2001
    I have the rt500i's and the hk 3370. I also use a twelve inch velodyne. I think it adds a lot.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2001
    I have RT800i's. I use them for HT and music, though I primarily listen to music. The 800's produce decent bass for their size, but if you add a good sub and hear what you're missing, then you'll probably find the sound lacking if you were to turn the sub off. It's just difficult to produce loud, deep bass without more "piston area" than you get from two 6.5" woofers.

While you really need a subwoofer for home theater, most agree that for music listening, a good pair of full range speakers is best. I needed some slender, tower-type, under $1000 speakers for my setup and the RT800i's are hard to beat in that league. I've also got a PSW1200. (That's why I needed those slender speakers----that monster takes up half my living room!)

I've got a PSW250, too, hooked up to my computer speakers. It's a great little sub for the size/price, but in my opinion you'd be better off going up at least to the PSW350 to complement your RT800's.

On the other hand, if you don't listen to loud, bass-heavy music, then you might not need a subwoofer at all. The only way to make a decision, really, is to try it both ways and see which you like.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited August 2001
    I'd recomend a sub.... you wont believe what your missing... I personaly dont like polk subs....for about the same ..maybe few bucks more..get the velodyne... /thats my 2cents..:)
  • ojajr
    ojajr Posts: 1
    edited August 2001
    I just installed a pair of RT800i's today, with a PSW450 sub-woofer. It adds a LOT. I only use it for music, anything from classical to Led Zeppelin, and it is a major improvement over my old Advent speakers. I am using a modest JVC (80w X 2) receiver and the sound is huge.