Hot damn!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Eventhough that other **** screwed me over on the previous dB124, looks like I picked up a DX124 but the auction shows two speakers which this guy says are two DX subs, one is older than the other. The second sub is another dB124. Auction was won for $25 plus shipping for teh pair. Less than $50 total. This guy seems cool though so hopefully all will go well. This might work out afterall. Hopefully, with two speakers being shipped, at least one will make it. If they do, I gotta build a new box.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Eventhough that other **** screwed me over on the previous dB124, looks like I picked up a DX124 but the auction shows two speakers which this guy says are two DX subs, one is older than the other. The second sub is another dB124. Auction was won for $25 plus shipping for teh pair. Less than $50 total. This guy seems cool though so hopefully all will go well. This might work out afterall. Hopefully, with two speakers being shipped, at least one will make it. If they do, I gotta build a new box.
    hope all goes well....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Sucks being broke dont it?

Be nice if you could just run down to your local Tweeter and pick you up a new Momo.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited July 2005
    Any news on the subs? Good or bad?
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    They were shipped, waiting for them to show up. Should be here in the next day or two.

• Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Showed up yesterday. Both in good, working condition. Now I gotta build a box.

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2005
    Glad to hear it turned out well for you.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Jstas
    edited July 2005
    Box is built. Internal dimensions are .85168 cubic feet. That is about as dead on as I can get it and still fit in the space I have. I have pictures of the box but you don't get to see my handiwork at this time. I went to my parent's house this morning to do the yard work like I usually do for them. I was complaining about not being able to fix the sub thing until mid-September because that would be the first time I would have some free time to cut the materials I need and assemble them.

My dad asked if I had measurements of what I needed. I did, so I gave them to him. He went into his workshop and slammed together a box for me to my measurements and had it done in about 25 minutes while I was mowing the lawn. He probably would have had it done is 15 but he ran the boards through the planer before assembling them. He also used his circle cutting jig and a router to make an 11 inch diameter cutout for the sub. Materials are 3/4" veneer layered plywood, 1.25 inch brads and waterproof Elmer's wood glue.

I have pictures but I have to get them on webspace first. I'll post them when I have them. I still have to get a terminal cup and make the cutout for that. I also have to carpet the enclosure so I will need carpet and adhesive too. Although, the enclosure would look damn nice stained in a dark walnut or oak...hmmmm???

Anyway, I learned something else too. There are two kinds of plywood for finish work. There is veneer layered and MDF layered. They will both do the same thing and be of the same quality but MDF layer is cheaper. It is also alot heavier and if it gets wet, the MDF will expand and crack the plywood. It also sucks when cutting it because it makes a butt-ton of dust!

I was also asked by another person on another forum what I was using for cross-bracing. I have seen it discussed here beforre too for small sealed enclosures. The benefit I have with this enclosure is that I do not need cross-bracing inside because the material is strong enough to not need it. This box is solid and should last a good long time. Best thing is, I shouldn't need any polyfil! WOOHOO!

• CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited July 2005
    Good Deal Man... Let me know how those beauties sound... :D
    <|>
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Its amazing how having the right tools can make the job so much easier.

All I have is a jigsaw, square and tape measure and a tiny little apartment deck to work and its taking me forever to get my box built. Plus I work a bazillion hours and its been raining every day it seems. :mad:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited July 2005
    Hey Jstas - exactly how much is a "butt-ton"? :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2