rat shack dual banana plugs ?

Options
etrigan
etrigan Posts: 160
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
good day eh!

i bought these gold plated rs dual b/plugs with a hole in their post wide enough for my 12g wire,then u screw down on the wire as it is built in to the plug.

? is - it seems when u screw down on the wire (w/the built in screw) it does not seem to make contact with all the strands in the wire (strands to the l/r are just not making contact w/the screw) will this effect performance? i did not notice any diff.-but did not have the time to really listen and compare.

i dislike the "screw" on type plugs-and bought these using the sugg. of 1 of the friendly and helpful people on this site.

plz advise and give sugg. thx in adv. for your time! CHEERS! jefff
Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
Post edited by etrigan on

Comments

• dbohls
    dbohls Posts: 4
    edited April 2002
    Options
    No, audio does not actually travel directlyon the wires but rather around the copper within the rubber. The rubber is there to prevent attenuation and crosstalk.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2002
    Options
    try soldering the copper wires, use silver solder. twist the wires
    together and solder away. this will give you better contact between the wire and screw.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    No, audio does not actually travel directlyon the wires but rather around the copper within the rubber. The rubber is there to prevent attenuation and crosstalk

allmost right curent travles on the skin of the coppre and the sheathing is there so you dont short out the wire and to protect the wire but it dues not travvle on the within the rubber the rubber is a insolator not a conductor
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited April 2002
    Options
    F1nut and others,
    thanx, i used to just solder the very tip of the wire (just to keep the strands from fraying) but i soldered apx 1/2-3/4 of an " - and clamped down tight
    much better! CHEERS! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited April 2002
    Options
    HI:

I like the banana plugs at CC. The ones that have the barrell that screws down over the wire are great. A pack is $20.00 for four but they are worth it.

Gary
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited April 2002
    Options
    This link is to an interesting “skin effect” demonstration.

http://tet.kth.se/www/Projekt/emil/dcrs/currcons.html

Note also that at audio frequencies the skin effect is mostly insignificant and does not become significant until reaching radio frequencies.
    Best Regards, Cliff