Speaker tech. info

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
How do you go about getting the tech sheet for a set of speakers? I am talking about the sheet that shows how "Flat" a speaker is so you can set your crossovers correctly. Does a speakers response range give you this? I just bought a set of polk 4x6 plates and their freq. response is listed at 73hz-25khz. Does this mean that I could set my crossover to 73hz and let them play?

Thanks for the help.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    The frequency response figures only tells you what frequencies the speaker plays. It doesnt tell you how loud or how well it plays those frequencies.

For instance, 4x6 plates may play 76 Hz but it wont be as well as say a 6.5 speaker thatll go to 76 Hz.

Best way is to tune it by ear. If its distorting at 80 Hz then turn the crossover up a bit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2005
    Different applications require different corssovers. If you're running them off head unit power and don't crank it all the way up you could get away with no crossover. If you can hear them distorting because you crank it up quite a bit, you'll want to high pass them. Or if they're running off an amp. High pass might work at 70Hz, or you might want to go 100- 120 Hz, it depend on your listening habits and whether it's a first, second, third order crossover, etc.

As stated above, listen to it and set it up according to your needs.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    hey hey, speaking of setting up a crossover, how much does the slope between mid and tweet (or, i suppose, between mid and sub) affect the stage and image? is it worth it to go do a ton of testing and tweaking?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    I would say it wouldnt affect it too much.

Ive ran mine with both crossed over and now with the mid playing full range and noticed no difference in imaging at all.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    hey hey, speaking of setting up a crossover, how much does the slope between mid and tweet (or, i suppose, between mid and sub) affect the stage and image? is it worth it to go do a ton of testing and tweaking?

It can make a pretty audible difference, depending on the car or the crossover points. If you can adjust from the seat while listening it can be pretty obvious. If you've got to go to the trunk or reach under the seat to adjust, it'll be harder to hear. Just switching phase of the woofer can make a big difference, too- but in some cars you won't hear a difference at all (especially if the subs are crossed over very low, like <50 Hz).