Optima Yellow Battery: What's the deal?

PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I keep seeing modified audio cars with "Yellow Optima" batteries. What's the deal?

I'll be running the Polk 400.4 and 300.2, do I need ole Yeller?

..and could one possibly mess my new car up?
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited July 2005
    i got a red under the hood.... yellows don't belong there
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    overrated. theyre great if you plan on running them down all the way and then recharging them again. the best battery that optima offers for an audio system(with the engine on) is the red top
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    i've heard of optimas cracking and spilling their guts (as much as a gel spills, i suppose)... i'll be looking at stinger as well as optima when i do batteries, both with a critical eye...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited July 2005
    odyssey is the way to go...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    odyssey the honda minivan??
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    the battery....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    odyssey is the way to go...
    -Cody

Does it have anything to do with Odyssey being a dry cell and not an acid-filled or gelled battery?
  • swerve
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Does it have anything to do with Odyssey being a dry cell and not an acid-filled or gelled battery?
    most likely.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    Im running roughly 700 watts and Im using the stock charging system with no problems.

I wouldnt worry about upgrading unless youre having issues. Then start with a good battery upgrade.

I agree that Optimas are overrated and definitely overpriced. Pick one with the biggest reserve capacity. This is a better measure of a battery than CCA's.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited July 2005
    Its been explained to me before but odyssey is a lot like stinger minus the price. With audio, a small ESR is what you want do you can discharge power quickly. But Ive been told by several people that it is the way to go and those particular people know much more than i do on the subject.
    -Cody