GXR vs. GNX

Steve@3dai
Steve@3dai Posts: 983
edited April 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a GNX104, and have been very pleased with it (still haven't built the vented box though!).

So what's up with the GXR subs? Better or just at a better price point for more budget minded consumers?

- Steve
'02 WRX PolkWagon :)
LSi 9/C/FX
Arcam AVR-200
Post edited by Steve@3dai on

Comments

• whiskey moodz
    whiskey moodz Posts: 7
    edited April 2003
    wat is the best amount of power to put on a pair of gxr.. I was thinking about going to an Profile California]CA640 running it bridged rms to 225 x 2 is that to much power for these sub or what? Please let me know..I just bought these and I may up grade to Polk Momo in the future i just don't want to skimp on the Amp when i buy them any help will do.. thank ....

Whiskey Moodz[/COLOR
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited April 2003
    well the speakers are rated at 165
    i wouldnt run more than 200 to them
    BUT that amp probably wont put out its rated power and if you turn the gain down to where its 3/4 to max then youll be alright
    but i would go with us acoustics over profile
    theyre a little more expensive...but not that much
    US acoustics usb-2150
    that amp will be perfect!
    its rated at 150x2 @ 12.9 volts
    so itll run around 175x2 in your car
    perfect for that sub
    it has a 3 yr warranty and its only $189
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2003
    The Profile California series amps put out plenty of power and are actually slightly underated. I have seen peak power about 5%-10% over the rated power. RMS values are dead on usually though. But I have 2 Profile amps and both of them have served me well and have been in not only my vehicles but friends vehicles. They are far from the best but they are also very far from junk and for the price, you aren't going to find much better. If you are on a budget, its relatively clean power that is rock solid and reliable.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    2 and a quarter a sub for the GNX is a little over their rating, but it's not going to kill them, 200-ish is a god aim, they're decent product though... but 2 and a quarter on the GXR is like 10 pounds of **** in a five pound bag.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited April 2003
    I did some lookin' on this topic and I found some interesting stuff!

Both were 10 inch subs.

Polk GXR 10
    Impedance 4 ohms
    Cone Material Poly-mica
    Surround Material Foam
    Sealed Box Volume (cu ft) 0.65 - 1.25
    Ported Box Volume (cu ft) 1 - 1.25
    Port diameter (inches) N/A
    Port length (inches) N/A
    Free-Air No
    Dual Voice Coil No
    Sensitivity 89dB
    Frequency Response 29 - 0.4k Hz
    RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-165
    Peak Power Handling (Watts) 365
    Top Mount Depth (inches) 4 1/2
    Bottom Mount Depth (inches) 4 7/8
    Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 9 3/8
    Vas (liters) 65.57
    Fs (Hz) 34.37
    Qts 0.49
    Xmax (millimeters) 6.1

Polk GNX10
    Impedance 4 ohms
    Cone Material Poly-mica
    Surround Material Butyl rubber
    Sealed Box Volume (cu ft) 0.65
    Ported Box Volume (cu ft) 1 - 1.25
    Port diameter (inches) 3
    Port length (inches) 9
    Free-Air No
    Dual Voice Coil No
    Sensitivity 93dB
    Frequency Response 18 - 0.4k Hz
    RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-175
    Peak Power Handling (Watts) 400
    Top Mount Depth (inches) 4 11/16
    Bottom Mount Depth (inches) 5 1/16
    Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 9 3/8
    Vas (liters) 27.35
    Fs (Hz) 39.6
    Qts 0.61
    Xmax (millimeters) 6.1

and just for grins and giggles, the Polk MOMO 10
    Polk MM104
    Impedance 4 ohms
    Cone Material Aluminum Clad ABS Plastic
    Surround Material Butyl rubber
    Sealed Box Volume (cu ft) 0.66
    Ported Box Volume (cu ft) N/A
    Port diameter (inches) N/A
    Port length (inches) N/A
    Free-Air No
    Dual Voice Coil No
    Sensitivity 85dB
    Frequency Response 20 - 0.2k Hz
    RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-500
    Peak Power Handling (Watts) 1000
    Top Mount Depth (inches) 5 1/16
    Bottom Mount Depth (inches) 5 5/8
    Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 9 1/2
    Vas (liters) 31.79
    Fs (Hz) 0
    Qts 0.467
    Xmax (millimeters) 25

OK, so what does all of this tell us? The Polk GXR 10 is a pretty nice speaker for 80 bucks! It offers performance levels pretty damn close to a MOMO 104 for less than half the price. The major difference is volume levels that can be obtained, resonant frequencies, which limit SPL and SQ and power handling. Of course one can't expect an 80 dollar speaker to handle 1,000 watts. Response wise though, the GXR is right there with the other two speakers.

However, I would like to draw your attention to the GNX10. This sub has a 93 dB sensitivity rating. Much higher than the MOMO. It digs lower down in the frequency range than the MOMO. It also reaches higher. It's Q is higher than the MOMO which means it will distort more than the MOMO. The MOMO has a longer excursion so it will move more air but that will only affect volume levels positivly. Long throw woofers can get inaccurate at higher volume and power levels. So what am I getting at? On paper, the GNX looks like a better sub than the MOMO. It's only drastic limitation is power handling. However, for just over half the price of the MOMO, you get a more efficient, dynamic and accurate sub. Since it is more efficient, 400 watts on a GNX will easily out boom 400 watts on a MOMO. The GNX has the potential to be much more musically accurate than the MOMO and it will hit lower than the MOMO.

While in real life, we all know that the MOMO will outperform the GNX. For the money though, the GNX is alot of bang for the buck when compared directly to the MOMO. The GXR is a cheap alternative and not quite a MOMO or a GNX but as an entry level speaker, it blows away everything else in its price range and class, except for the Pioneers. I think any one of them would be a good choice as long as you didn't buy a GXR and expect MOMO performance out of it. Now I want to goto Circuit City and listen to all of them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2003
    paper shmaper, normally i'd say there's something to be gained from examining an item on paper, but in the case of the GXR, I can't accept that. --- go listen to them and then tell me what you think.

;)

food for thought... you're right about power handling not being the sole thing to judge a sub by. there are plenty of "weak" subs that only take 150 - 175 that really do give an amazingly good level of sound quality that is most likely clearer, more vivid, and more true to the music than something like a momo or whatever is something we can all call "high quality". point in case -- Oz Matrix 10" -- 180 rms but revered as one of the best SQ subs on the market. then again it costs 175 bucks retail (hey its on sale right now-129-! lol :D )

4-layer Copper Voice Coil
    New Top Plates
    Mineral-Filled, Talc-Impregnated Polypropylene Cone
    Butyl Rubber Surround

Size: 10 inch
    Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.75 - 1.50 cu.ft.
    Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.00 - 1.75 cu.ft.
    Sensitivity: 93 dB
    Frequency Response: 19-2,000 Hz
    Recommended RMS Power: 180W
    Peak Power Handling: 300W
    Impedance: 4 ohms

if i had my way -- we'd all have 8's in our friggin doors and 12's in the trunk... but life never quite makes the install THAT easy.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge