what do i need from here?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
this will probably be a book by the time i am finished so i will go ahead and apologize for the length of this thread. to start i have a 2005 toyota corolla. i have already purchased an infinity 7541a 4 channel amp, and i am looking to purchase infinity kappa 60.7cs 6 1/2 components for the front, and infinity kappa 692.7i 6x9s for the rear. i was wondering what everyone thought about this setup, and i also have a question. my corolla has the factory head unit with 6 disc in dash changer. i would like to keep this for the disc changer and the factory look. the amp accepts speaker line level inputs which is what i will have to do because the hu doesn't have any preouts. anyway i was wondering if this system will work out well this way?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    I dont like Infinity speakers at all. I had a set before switching to Polk and thought they were entirely too bright and thin sounding.

I listen primarily to heavy metal and heavy guitar thru those Infinitys sounded like crap.

Make sure you give those Kappas a listen before you buy them, I didnt like mine at all.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited July 2005
    thanks MacLeod, if i go with the polks it would be the mmc690 rear and mmc6500 front. would these still be a good match with the infinity 7541a amp?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    the infinity is rated at 111W x 4Ch @ 4Ohms, so that would be a good match for the 6x9s and the components, yes.

keeping the changer won't be an issue; and it's good that your amp has line-level inputs. i'm just happy you're not using this amp for a subwoofer... speaking of which, you may wish to consider ditching the rear speakers altogether, saving your money, and getting a sub and amp combo later on.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Thats true. From a total audiphile point of view, rear speakers can mess up the soudnstage and some detail but a lot of people like the rear fill, especially if you haul passengers frequently and want some tunes back there. Plus some people just like the sound of front and rear speakers.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited July 2005
    thanks mac & neo, i don't have rear pax often, if i do it is my two beautiful daughters. this is a commuter ride, on average 100 mile a day, which is why i want to make sure i do everything right. funds are somewhat limited at the time, both my girls are still in diapers. so what i do spend i want to make sure it is money well spent. i do eventually plan on adding subs, nothing crazy just a good full sound. for now i think i will go with rear fills and i appreciate the input on the infinity stuff. i haven't found to many folks infinity crazy, but that seemed like i good amp so i picked it up. i will probably regret that and wish i had gone for the polk amp, but time will tell. i do think i will go with the polk speakers though. thanks again, and anymore thoughts or suggestions will appreciated also. - J.R.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    That amp will be fine. Its CEA compliant so it makes its rated power and that all you can really ask of an amp.

You made a good choice going with the Polk's. I promise ya, youll enjoy them.

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2005
    My friend has almost that exact same Infinity setup and it is loud as hell. The 6x9's have some decent bass, but start to muddy things up at high volume, you really need a seperate sub.
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    don't worry, though, the 6x9s will have plenty of bass until you decide to upgrade... and you sound like a discriminating listener (at least relative to most), so in your case i'd reccommend going without subs for as long as you can stand it, saving in the meantime, then splurge and get a really good setup, you'll never have to touch it again...

that's my philosophy of purchasing...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited July 2005
    thanks for all the input guys, i have another question now that i have decided on the polks. would i be better off with the mmc6500 comps or the mmc650 full range. i would like the comps but both of these speakers seem to pose install problems from what i have read in the reviews.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    the components will give you better sound and more customisibility, at the expense of a more (potentially much more) difficult installation. it depends on how willing you are to hack up the car a bit, as well as how good your craftsmanship skills are and how much time you're willing to spend on this.

or, if you have stock dash speaker locations, you're in luck - those are generally a pretty good place for an easy stealth tweeter install...

• MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    I would much rather have the components, better tweeter, and mucho better crossover. Generally components will always perform better than coaxials.

With the ingenius surface mounting cup, its no problem to mount them. You need only drill 2 small holes and voila!

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2005
    i thought the tweeters were the same???

you should just get the SR6500s and you can make them as a coaxial:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited July 2005
    trust me if i had the money i would love to have the sr6500, but like i said in previous post (two small daughters still in diapers) so i am trying to stay on a budget and still have a fairly nice setup. well i guess the mmc6500s it is then. i haven't had comps before and i just wanted to make sure they are worth the extra money. from what i have heard and heard from other people i am sure they will be.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2005
    these speakers will be going in the doors. as far a my own personal craftmanship that may leave a lot to be desired, but i am more than willing to put in the time. whatever it take to make sure everything is done right. i don't mind a little cutting here or there as long as i am able to keep a pretty much stock look with everything.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2005
    once you get em, it's mostly trial and error... if they fit in the door stock, that's awesome, you're done... if not (the usual) you'll have to make a mounting plate or ring, or you may have to do some metal cutting or drilling... it should be relatively obvious, once you get in there and look.

as for the tweeters, if you're willing to do the surface mounting, install the mids, grab a patient friend, and try sticking the tweets all over the place (the friend is for the tweet on the passenger side), with different angles and such, then attach them and fine-tune with the swivel cup.

• MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Woopsee! :D

Corrected!

Hey, thats the first type-o Ive done in a while. I must be paying more attention.