Ford Ranger install, MMC650 or MMC690

huggies
huggies Posts: 149
edited August 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I need to replace the front speakers on my 02 four door Ranger since I put a screw driver through one of them installing them,,,, ugh, don't ask.... I currently have DX9's installed in the front doors. I was looking at either the MMC650 or the MMC690 as replacements. I'm a bit worried about the heighth of the tweeters though. Do they stick out more than on the DX9? Which of the two sound better? I kind of like the pivoting tweeter on the 650's so maybe I can bring my soundstage up a bit, but I'm afraid it won't provide enough bass. I don't have a sub and really don't have room for one without taking up needed space, unless I could put something in the rear suicide doors. I don't want to go with components either due to having to cut the door panels. Any thoughts? Is there a free air 6 inch sub that i could put in each rear door? I could put about 200W to them if I hooked them up parallel in my current setup. Thanks, Ray

Currently:

Alpine CDA-7998
PhoenixGold Octane R8.04
Dx9's in the front
Stock but disconnected in the rear.
Post edited by huggies on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    if bass is a concern, you're right in thinking that the 6.5s won't provide a lot of it; they will be a smidgeon cleaner at high volumes, though, and you say that they do have the swivel tweeter. i can't comment on the tweeter height, but i can say that a freeair 6" sub isn't gonna help you too much. sorry bout that.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    The MMC690's are flat out awesome! I consider them the best 6x9's on the market. I had a set for over a year and loved them!

Id get them over the MMC650's. Try the 6x9's for a while and then if you still want more bass then look into upgrading.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • huggies
    edited July 2005
    Ok, but how far do the tweeters protrude out from the speaker mounting plane? My DX's just fit under the stock door grilles cause I have to use a spacer ring that I made out of poly cutting board.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2005
    perhaps call polk? (800.377.7655)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Well measuring mine, the tweeters stick passed the speaker by 1/2".
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • huggies
    edited July 2005
    Thanks! I may have to cut the doors to make them fit so I can eliminate the spacer. I'll have to check my dx's to see how much the tweeters on them stick out. Thanks again.

Ray
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    I doubt youd have to cut anything. I mean a 1/2" is nothing. I betcha theyll fit just fine.

Mine fit in my truck. I had to use a spacer and they still fit. They did touch against the door panel/grill but nothing that was noticeable.

• huggies
    edited August 2005
    Ok, I'm going to order the MMC690's. I believe these are bi-ampable, correct? They are 100W rms speakers, so will I be alright putting 75w to the woofer and 75 to the tweeters?
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005
    Thats a little much. I was bi-amping mine as well and at first it was a 40x4 Alpine amp that worked prefectly then I got my Crossfire that is making about 70x4. While this sounded great I did feel it was overdriving them. If you go with 75x4, keep the gains down.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2005
    want a set of perfectly good working DX9's for dirt cheap?

I pulled them out of my 2003 Ram when I went to an all audiobahn setup. $50 for the pair + whatever shipping is (ground anywhere in the US shouldn't be more than 10 bucks or so). I'll give you a 3 day "DOA" ... after they get to you, you got 3 days to let me know if they were damaged in shipping or otherwise don't work correctly, in which case I'll give you your money back and I'll pay for return shipping to me.

I will fire them up before shipping them out just to be sure they're still kosher.

Normally I wouldn't put a time limit on anything, but I don't know you.

EMAIL - Vince@SpinelliCreations.com
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • huggies
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the offer PBD but I've already ordered the new speakers. I'm hoping the momo's are an upgrade over my existing dx9's anyways. It's amazing how well those dx's still play with the driver cut from the rubber surround all the way to the inner ring. Here's an odd question..... If I'm not happy with the sound and decide to go with components, would it mess the sound stage up too bad if I used the momo's like subs in the rear doors, just have them crossed over so they only get the low freqs?? I know it's not going to be near what a sub could do, but i have no room that i'm willing to give up to put in a real sub. If I switch to components I would just like something to enhance the low end cause I don't think a 6.5 driver will be able to fill in that low end enough.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    the 6.5 will do the job, you're going to miss the "muddy" bass of the 6x9 though. it's not a bad idea to throw the 6x9's in the rear doors, but don't cross them over low, just run them full range, about half the power of the fronts... they'll fill in nicely.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2005

I pulled them out of my 2003 Ram when I went to an all audiobahn setup.

Ugh. You buy them books, send them to school hoping theyll make good decisions.....then they go with an all audioblah setup. :D

Trust me huggies, youll like those Momos plenty. Im not sure theyd make good subs tho.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2005
    ... and i do believe you saw the pictures of that SICK setup.

don't be jealous now :D